• Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 1Mbps

Re: Windows 8 Experiences thread

It just needs a few tweaks to fix the niggles. Adding a 'launch to desktop' option, putting the shutdown button in a sensible place, reinstating the 'Start' button and having it trigger a side-bar version of the Start page, fixing corner-menu detection and making 'All Programs' easier (and more obvious) to access. Windows 8 can do everything Windows 7 could do (and more). The problem is that the UI change means it's not always obvious how to do it, particularly when on the Desktop. More familiarity is needed to start with; Metro UI use will come as people get used to it on touch devices (and Xbox).

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    Its very simple, Desktop != Tablet.

As a tablet OS, its not bad and if touchscreen desktop PCs were ubiquitous I could see the point.

But sadly, whatever focus groups they used, Microsoft should just stop using them, and if it was some sort of external research group, name and shame so they never get work again.

It will just be interesting to see if, assuming its released as it is, if it does better than Vista did.
    Most devices running new versions of Windows are new devices; only a small percentage of users actually upgrade. As such I'm not sure the current availability of touch screen Windows devices is all that relevant. It's not about what's out there now, but about what OEMs will release later this year. If most Windows 8 PCs are sold with touchscreens then most Windows 8 devices will, in fact, have touch screens.

Also, Vista sold really well. You probably know that, but it's worth remembering. Reputation-wise it did Microsoft no favours, but sales-wise it was definitely a success. If W8 does as well as Vista then it's done it's job; sales of that level would no-doubt mean that most people are used to Metro by the time W9 is released anyway. A couple of minor tweaks later and W9 is hailed as the second coming...
    Last edited by McPhee; 21-05-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Just installed the Consumer Preview and am busy customising it and seeing how I can adjust things to enable me to do what I normally do. Not finding it too hard but I am getting annoyed with a few things.

Initial thoughts:
    • Why does the start screen disappear when I open explorer? All I am doing is calling up a new screen that can easily just be run on top of the metro menu, instead it closes the metro menu and loads the new screen over the desktop.
    • Dual screens works like a charm. On load up metro only appears on the screen you designate as your main display so you effectively get both metro and the desktop at start-up which is quite useful.
    • Extended displays have a task bar on both screens but applications are linked to both, they are mirrored instead of extended so you see 2 icons for every one you've pinned to the task bar
    • Date, time and programs are only found on the main display, would be nice to be able to choose where it goes since the task bar is on both screens.
    • No shut-down button in the metro screen, need to click your account picture and select sign out and then you need to click-hold-and move mouse to reveal the shut-down button... that opens up 3 separate screens just to shut the PC down which is silly.
    • So far haven't been able to make a "My Computer" icon on my desktop...
    • Feels fast, windows open up instantly and the window opened is very clean. Definitely feels faster than Windows 7, might not be though.
    • Task manager is amazing, loving the services tab and option of simple and advanced view. I might put up with other niggles just because the task manage is so awesome.
    • Have't found a way to contact Microsoft to provide feedback; they haven't made it obvious and easy...

I think that covers my views on using the Consumer Preview for a few hours, I might add some things in another post. By the way loving the autosave for info written in the reply box, saved my butt with this post.

Registered+
    Thanks

I've been using the CP and it just doesn't make sense for use on a desktop PC.
    Not having a start menu is a pain, the amount of times I've wanted to open a program only to realise I no longer have a start menu and have to create a desktop shortcut for it.
    The metro stuff is a pain too, might be good for touch screen but not on a desktop.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information