Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Thanks

Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

GOG, a digital distributor of computer games, had a makeover and one of the features this makeover introduced was a community wishlist where users get to submit suggestions for either games or website features and vote on these suggestions. One such request submitted by a user called JudasIscariot was to add Linux versions of games that GOG already sold for Windows to their catalog i.e. games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Neverwinter Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by JudasIscariot
    If a game has a Linux version and it is made and supported by the developer please allow the option to download the Linux version if at all possible.
    It's taken a while, but the Add Linux versions of games request on the GOG Community Wishlist has surpassed 10 000 votes! This entry is currently placed fifth on the wislist. Get to voting and make it first! This shows that there are gamers using Linux and that they are ravenous for support. With Linux seeing great support thanks to Kickstarter, the Humble Bundle, and Steam, it is only a matter of time before our votes reach the folks at GOG and they go through the simple task of adding Linux versions of the games they already sell for Windows.

Your votes count and they are just a click away!

Thread in the GOG forum asking for Linux support.

What GOG is all about:

Last edited by Zeven; 20-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (12-06-2012),watercooled (19-07-2012)

Thanks

Re: Vote for GOG to add Linux versions of games they sell

Good news, guys! This request has now accumulated over 3,500 votes! Some lesser good news is that I finally received some minor feedback regarding games for Linux on GOG and the stance right now is that it would be too much work according to their marketing guy. I wonder what it is that makes Desura so different from GOG that the former can sell Linux versions and the latter cannot. This request also got some more attention from Gaming on Linux, which is of course good news!

4. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (12-06-2012)

Thanks

shmerl, a user on GOG, posted this thread in response to me posting a link to this piece on the page that the request for adding Linux games to GOG is on. GOG responded...

6. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (12-06-2012)

Thanks

GOG Game Service May Come To Linux. Show your support! Eurogamer Germany seemingly gave this request a slight mention as well!

Thanks

This request has now surpassed 4 000 votes. Many thanks to all those who voted! Now keep voting!

Thanks

More awareness, yay. Do vote if you have an account, and if you haven't got one yet, make one! I myself couldn't say no to DRM free gaming with no regional price tags!

Thanks

please stop spamming this. It's getting quite tedious.
    It is Inevitable.....

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

It's good to be passionate about something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikonia View Post
    please stop spamming this. It's getting quite tedious.
    Tell me, how has it personally been affecting you? I cannot possibly fathom any reason for you to take issue apart from you seeing this in the New Posts section every couple of days and I certainly hope you didn't come into this thread to complain about something so minuscule.

Anyway, over 4 500 votes now. Keep it up you guys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GOG
    Come watch CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event

CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event: 18 October 2012 at 18:00 GMT

New Games, New OSes, Cyberpunk® Announcements, and Something Special for Witcher 2 Modders--and more!--will all be announced at this live webcast Special Event.

The developers of The Witcher franchise CD Projekt RED studio and GOG.com the DRM-free, digital distribution platform will host a Special Event on the 18th of October at 18:00 (GMT). The whole event will be streamed online on facebook.com/thewitcher or www.gog.com.

During the conference the developer studio will announce the official name of their futuristic new IP, based on the classic pen & paper RPG Cyberpunk®. More exclusive details about the project will be shown.

Not only console and PC users should tune in for the conference. Mac Computer users should be prepared for a bunch of thrilling announcements including more information about the upcoming release of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings for OS X.

Speaking of new operating systems, GOG.com will also be announcing that it is bringing the best PC games from throughout history to a new operating system.
    That’s not all of the news that GOG.com has planned for the Special Event, however: they will also be showcasing several new releases as well as giving gamers a unique chance to get some of the greatest classic games ever made for a literally unbeatable price.

Remember – the live stream from the CD Projekt RED and GOG.com Special Event starts October 18th, 18:00 (GMT). See you then!
    Source.

So Mac OS support is definitely coming it seems, but what's this? There's a another new operating system GOG is planning to support? Judging from the thread, the new operating system will likely be Windows 8, but many are still hoping that it will actually be Linux. GOG is known to support Windows, so supporting a new version of Windows wouldn't really be that big in terms of news, but then again, stating official support is necessary too I suppose. Still, Linux is moving up in the gaming world judging from all the Humble Bundles, Kickstarters, general indie attention, along with Valve and Steam support, while Windows 8 is getting a lot of flak. With GOG taking on more and more indie games, are they realizing that they are losing some sales due to people buying games from sources that offer games for all three major platforms?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PC Gamer
    GOG on Windows 8, Mac gaming, and Linux support

PCG: You’ve just released a new catalog of Mac games on GOG. You and Valve are sort of moving into that space together, and Valve with Linux, too. Is any of that a response to the reception of Windows 8?

Trevor Longino: [Laughs] Well, there are things I can’t say about Windows 8 or else someone will drag me out back behind the Microsoft building and shoot me. But I will say, based on what I know, I know what people’s concerns are about Windows 8. And there are some very serious ones as far as releasing new games.

But from GOG’s point of view, Windows 8 gaming isn’t quite as scary as it is for other game outlets. But we mentioned at our conference that we’re working on Windows 8 support. The majority of games that work on Windows 7—I’m saying like 90% here—work on Windows 8. But we’re based on the release candidate build that was publicly available. And one, we don’t know what’s going to change in the final build—hopefully not much—and two, we don’t know what they might change in say, Service Pack 1. It may be they get really big pushback from the community. Not just developers that are concerned, but users who are saying, “I’m not gonna upgrade, this looks like rubbish.” So they may walk back some changes, in which case what we’ve been testing on might not be what ends up being the OS that you have available.

So, we have a plan in place for Windows 8. We will support it with the majority of our titles, I don’t doubt. But I will say that moving over to Mac gaming isn’t because we anticipate seeing more gamers thinking, “Hey, you know, this Windows 8 isn’t worth it, let me go see about Mac gaming.”

PCG: And Linux?

TL: Linux gaming is also something we’d love to do, but we haven’t made any announcements about it yet. We’ve been looking at it.

I’ve been making public statements for a while that there are technical hurdles. Steam’s approach is to say, “Here’s our distro, we support this distro. Have another distro? Sorry.” That’s not how GOG does things, we’re more free-range gaming. So we’re looking at how to deliver the GOG experience on— we can’t say every computer, because you can of course hook up an E Ink display with 2-color CGA as your monitor, use Lynx as your web browser, and run some weird Debian distro that you’ve custom modded to do just what you want and then say, “How come I can’t play your games?”

PCG: I’d love to play Fallout 2 on an E Ink display.

TL: Yeah, something like that? No, we won’t support it, obviously. But we want to try to get it where the majority of gamers, if they’re on Linux, will be able to get a game and expect it works. We haven’t found a solution, yet. We know there’s a big demand for it, just like we know everyone wants System Shock with 25 thousand votes. It’s tough, because the rights with System Shock are just a mess. Likewise, we know people want Linux games. And people are saying “You could just distribute the TAR and we’ll figure it out.” Sure, we could just distribute the DOS executables and just let the Windows users figure it out, but that’s not how we do business. So making that experience on Linux is a challenge and one that we’re trying to address.
    The source.

I love how he justifies not supporting Linux in one way by saying he wouldn't support Windows that way either, despite the two being fundamentally different.

Registered+
    Thanks

Good thread. I am still quite the Linux noob but I'm sure I'll become proficient enough someday too! The more support for Linux, the better. Hope GOG brings old school goodness over to Linux soon!

Thanks

Thanks

It finally happened once again. The request to start selling Linux versions of games on GOG used to be second, then third, then fourth, then fifth, then went back into fourth, but has now, after a long time of securing fourth, fallen back into fifth place. With Steam bringing great attention in terms of gaming to Linux, we shouldn't forget that Steam is not the only platform that sells computer games, and that there are more potential supporters out there.

GOG, being an online computer game retailer that firmly believes in selling games without Digital Rights Management (DRM) and without regional pricing (1€ ≠ 1$), among other things, would in my opinion make a great addition to gaming on Linux and should thus be flooded with votes to make their resistance ever more futile. Please make it so.

Here are all the requests on GOG pertaining to Linux. I suggest you read each title individually to make informed choices as some do suggest the use of Wine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    While The Witcher 3 intends to make the best out each new console's content ownership policies, Iwiński hopes players will remain cognizant of the game's full breadth of supported platforms. "There's one important comment I'd like to make. When we announced [The Witcher 3] at the Microsoft conference, we saw a lot of comments on the internet. 'Hey, you should not release the game on Xbox One.' I think, really, that's not fair to a lot of gamers who choose Xbox One as a platform. We strongly believe in the freedom of choice, and not releasing the game on any of the platforms would be a disadvantage.
    The above is only an excerpt. Here's the source.

I find that quote to be pretty amusing when considering what this thread is trying to achieve and what GOG is all about with regard to DRM.

Thanks

I find the content of this link relevant to this request.
    Last edited by jim; 22-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information