• Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Re: To buy windows 7 now or to wait for 8

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    That was certainly my issue with Metro - that it was almost blind luck to figure out how do some things - e.g. shutting down. I also condemned it for abysmally poor use of available space - although a comment that it was a "Fisher Price" designed UI was maybe a little harsh.

Interestingly enough - your usage method for Windows8 has been copied by myself in Unity (pinned icons for oft-used programs, with frequent use of the app search feature for others).
    Thanks Yes I spent a few minutes trying to shut down the first time - I hadn't read anything about the new features so I didn't know about the charms bar. Now it seems fine to me and I have to say "Start" + "Shutdown" made bugger all sense to me anyway It's also perfectly possible to pin a 'shut down' tile to the start screen if you so wish - like all things Windows there's a way to customise and do pretty much anything. Another one - most people don't know about CTRL + mousewheel for semantic zoom either..
    Then again, I had no idea how to do a whole heap of stuff with my iPad - it's filled with non-obvious gestures for doing things (task switching for example).

A bit OT - but I've just met with some devs from another division that surprised me - they're building a new product based on Win 8 and they're doing Smartphone and tablet versions (the pro tablet) too. Currently working out how to wangle the same so I can get a Win 8 tablet to er.. 'work' with
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Registered+
    Thanks
    • sonico11's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-950
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 4TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x3TB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xATi Radeon HD 6850 in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • (Can't remember brand...) 850W
      • Case:
      • Raidmax Altas
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2730
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2 (76Mb/s Download)

Based on the fact that Windows 8 is terrible to use (I have used many builds now), and you won't be able to buy a full retail version of it anyways, you might as well just go for Windows 7 now. Windows 7 is a nice, easy to use operating system and using 8 will only lower your opinion of Windows (imho). They have basically just placed the Xbox Dashboard over the interface and force you to use it - there isn't even a sodding desktop anymore =[ - the Windows key will open the silly guide - you can't tell I don't like Windows 8 at all can you XD

tl;dr Buy Windows 7 now!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Ridcully's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DD3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 4870 DK 1G
      • PSU:
      • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Red)
      • Case:
      • HAF 932
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns-G 28"

I am very happy with Windows 7 & would recomend it, I will stay with it for as long as possible.

Registered+
    Thanks

Personally, I see no point in buying W7 at this point in it's lifecycle, especially when W8 is going to be cheaper (at least for the "upgrade" version).

I'm building a new PC right now and am just going to use the Win8 Release Preview until it officially launches.

Registered+
    Thanks

Stick with W7 for now, its a great OS. W8 is a huge change so I think it will feel very unfamiliar. I am curious to see how the general public react once its released.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonico11 View Post
    Based on the fact that Windows 8 is terrible to use (I have used many builds now), and you won't be able to buy a full retail version of it anyways, you might as well just go for Windows 7 now. Windows 7 is a nice, easy to use operating system and using 8 will only lower your opinion of Windows (imho). They have basically just placed the Xbox Dashboard over the interface and force you to use it - there isn't even a sodding desktop anymore =[ - the Windows key will open the silly guide - you can't tell I don't like Windows 8 at all can you XD

tl;dr Buy Windows 7 now!
    There will be a retail version, it'll be called "PERSONAL USE LICENSE (SYSTEM BUILDER) FOR WINDOWS 8 PRO".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information