• Antec Three Hundred Two
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG Flatron monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media

Re: To 8 or to hate?

If i'm honest, I don't like windows 8 at the moment. The metro design is fine on a tablet but not on a typical computer. The lack of the start button annoys me but Iobit has made start8, which takes it back to nostalgia, which is good. Also, I don't think Windows 8 will last as long as Windows XP or 7, which both are still being used today my many millions worldwide. If many bugs including an overly powered firewall sometimes blocking home connections are fixed, then yes, I might consider changing my opinion to Windows 8. For now though, I don't really like it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Having just upgraded both my main PC and laptop I can say that I do like the price - £25 each, although it has also necessitated an upgrade of my Anti-virus software and Acronis TrueImage (very cheap at scan though). However, probably like most people I am still getting used to the lack of a start menu and - to me - many other counter intuitive change. But I dare say I will get used to them over time.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

It would be interesting to hear from those who upgrade laptops to Windows 8 if they notice improvement on their battery life compared to 7.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • vettieboo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A78TD-V Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II 955 X4 BE
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 120 GB SSD and Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD5750 1 GB
      • PSU:
      • Huntkey Jumper 300G planet3dnow.de edition (300W)
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Midgard II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre (40 GB)

I'm actually quite enjoying Win 8 at the moment, although still figuring out shortcuts and mostly using my programs pinned to the taskbar (cheater!). I may be wrong but it feels a smooth and is very nippy with few hangups, although I probably wouldn't put it much better than 7 at the moment. It isn't bad, a lot better than I heard, just need to remind myself not to go to the missing start button and instead move my pointer to the corners!

Registered+
    Thanks

Unless you have a tablet or a touch screen monitor... i dont see the point in upgrading to win 8

Registered+
    Thanks

Qualiatively, battery life seems a little better (certainly not worse) than Windows 7 on my MacBook. (I can't be more specific as I didn't note any battery life times on Windows 7.)

Thanks

I'm trying to resist. I love installing major updates but Windows 8 just looks painful at the moment.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Work have just released Win 8 Enterprise for staff use, so I've bashed it into a VM. And I'm still not impressed. It's not that I actively dislike it, and I think with lots of use I could get used to it, and maybe even like it, but it just feels unfinished to me. Others have mentioned the occasional disjunct between Modern and Desktop, and how certain actions that should be possible from Modern apps drop you into the Desktop, but for me the big thing is the way certain core Modern UI apps are clearly designed with touch in mind. For instance, in the news app everything scrolls sideways. So you scroll down with your mouse, and the window moves sideways. It makes sense with a touch interface where you can swipe sideways - indeed it's fairly intuitive to if you've ever read a book! But not with mouse scrolling.

In fact, the more I use it, the more I think Modern UI is perfect for tablets. It reminds me very much of my Playbook, but with the live tiles it's more useful from the "home" screen. It'll be interesting to compare it (as much as possible) to ICS/JB (I've got a vm iso for ICS which I've messed about with a bit and quite like). I think I'll even quite like the charms bar on Desktop - a quick place to grab a few useful features: if they make them all work from the desktop.

But it seems like every enhancement has been aimed at either the desktop or Modern, without any thought for integrating the two or to make sure there's a complete experience on either.

I don't think it's a Vista, but I think it may well be a case of waiting for 9 to see if they can make the Modern + Desktop paradigm work. In the mean time, I'm going to keep my eye out for a cheap x86 tablet to stick a copy on

Thanks
    • hatsumi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Auros
      • CPU:
      • 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 24Gb DD3 Corsair Dominator 1600
      • Storage:
      • SSD and HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W Gold
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF932 Adv
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ilyama 27" 1440p Freesync
      • Internet:
      • VM 500MB

I've just clean installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. (I had win 7 installed already, just formatted and it allowed the clean install).

Been playing around with it and have pretty much got the hang of it. I've also installed OblyTile and downloaded some tile icon files and am customising here and there. I've not encountered any obstacles yet. Installed a codec pack and I'm back streaming to my TV without a hitch. Also thanks to some backing up of settings I'm back to where I was with win 7 in a lot less time than my last resinstall of win 7.

Pic of work in progress of customising. Bit more done since this

Registered+
    Thanks

hmm I have ordered windows 8 oem with my pc (the new personal liscense on it meant I could save a bit of money from the retail.) Bit nervous but from the sounds of it there are no serious bugs as of YET. I will post after install to comment on comparisons, I heard tell that ppl have had problems installing steam on it?? is this really true? I hope not.

Thanks
    I love windows 8 and got it for 15 squid.

The only thing that has changed is that there is no start button. You get metro instead.

You still get the desktop we all know and love.

I think apps opened in the metro area look great. A nicer overall multimedia appearance.

I only really use my PC for gaming though and I was worried as hell with all the negative reviews on windows 8.

Bottom line is its easy to use after figuring it out for five minutes or so and there isn't really any downside to the new operating system, well none that I have noticed thus far

Happy days.

Cheers
    Jim

Thanks
    • steveo928's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GByte GA-P67A-UD3 (Version B3)
      • CPU:
      • I5 2500K @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, Samsun 830 250GB, 2TB of hd's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 670 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavailier 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 1920x1200 27.5 inch hanns G

I think Windows 8 is absolutely superb the Metro UI hasn't caused me any issues at all and I like the fresh new look to the desktop interface plus the myriads of other improvements mean I am a happy man.

As has been said if you really can't stand metro their are a variety of methods to get the start menu back.

Cheers

Steve

Registered+
    Thanks

I haven't played with windows 8 much yet, but I did clean install my main desktop at home and go 8.

The metro interface is nice, the apps that take advantage of metro are (mostly) quite nicely integrated - the chrome metro app sure isn't.
    What I hate hate hate about Windows 8 so far, however, is the constant jumping between Metro and win7 desktop mode when opening various apps, going to control panel, even setting up my mp3 library (adding directories as source) involved a jump from metro to 'classic' view. The fact I had to perform basically a hack to get my nas directory mp3's included in my music library (unless I was prepared to duplicate the directory locally) - create a directory, add it to a library, delete the directory, then create a symbolic link to the now deleted directory... tells me that it's not quite finished or polished.

I'm digging the 4 or so levels of menu options to turn the computer off too....

It boots incredibly fast (SSD) - much faster than win7, but then it's a clean install, so I suppose the true test will be how fast it's going to be booting in 6 months time

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meems View Post
    I'm digging the 4 or so levels of menu options to turn the computer off too....
    While I've heard this a lot (and the charms/settings shutdown is a long way)
    the quicker way is simply:

ctrl-alt-del and press shutdown on bottom right...
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
    While I've heard this a lot (and the charms/settings shutdown is a long way)
    the quicker way is simply:

ctrl-alt-del and press shutdown on bottom right...
    Yeah - I see this a lot and I understand it because it is slightly more steps - move mouse, click setting, click power, choose option - vs: click start, click shutdown.

However, I never do this - I found a super secret method of doing it in one click..

...the power button.

Seriously though, like all things you can configure it how you like - on 7 I had a shutdown widget (rainmeter based) that still works on 8. I can pin a script, or an app to do it etc etc. I'm not a huge fan of some of the changes in 8 (and shutting down is unnecessarily awkward) but I stopped clicking on screen buttons to shutdown years ago when they switched PSUs to being signalled by the motherboard. On laptops I close the lid etc.

Now if you want to restart - different matter.

I would of kept the start button and had the charms bar come up with a click on a button far right on the taskbar - these are two concessions to touch that were pointless.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Hating it more and more as I use it.

Everything (and I really do mean EVERYTHING) I do takes longer on Windows 8. More mouse movement, more clicking....and that's before we even talk about the logistics of moving stuff for the sake of it and having things in 2 places, where only one of which may have the setting you are after.

My main gripe is RDP sessions. I use them A LOT. In Windows 7 I can have RDP pinned to start menu with all my history cascaded off of it. If the target is not on my history I can just click RDP and it starts a new session. Simples.
    With Windows 8 RDP will not even appear on the "Start screen"......even if I pin it. Buggy POS. It appears on other Win8 machines I have......now, even taking that bug into account it still has issues.....once you do get to the RDP icon pressing it just makes the current RDP session the active window....to start a new RDP session you have to RIGHT-click RDP, move mouse to bottom on a 2560x1600 desktop and then click open in new window. It just slows you down constantly. In fact just about any right-click context menu has been made clunky and slow in comparison to previous OSes....even "Run as"....no more recent RDP sessions cascade...

The more I use it the more I am absolutely livid that Microsoft has pushed this POS out the door.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information