• Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Re: To 8 or to hate?

I bought it when I found out IOBit brought back an application that puts the start menu back which is light weight and customisable. As for the metro interface I like it, the whole move your mouse to the right to bring up search and goodies is fun. But what I do find the most useful is moving your mouse to the left corners, so built in applications can load such as games or email and when you fancy checking your email it's ready out of the way in the top left corner.

I also find the right click bottom left unbelievably handy, it's all there, command prompt, run, programs and features, power options, device manager, so much quicker than searching for it.

The task manager although not perfect, gives much more useful information, apart from the fancy graphs it's all in one tab click so basic information is there without having to start other programs for monitoring.

But I do have to say one massive problem with it, it sure doesn't like multi boot. Windows 7, Linux doesn't understand Windows 8 file partitions for some reason, I assume they changed something. So there isn't any safe way to install another operating system straight off. I found introducing another OS and it has a hissy fit.

Another horrible thing is the wifi manager, "automatic", no way. I had serious problems with my old Netgear wireless adapter, it's Windows 7 compatible but I found I had to be careful installing it because Windows would not recognize it if I didn't get it up and running properly.

Some programs are obviously not compatible straight off, but that's fine. I can still use my Dataplex for Corsair Accelerator, doesn't seem like a problem which is nice. For now.

The whole appearance customize is nice, better themes seems more slick.

I can honestly, and shamefully say I like Windows 8 much more than Windows 7 if IOBit didn't come out with the Start menu I would hate it

2. Received thanks from:

Boogie83e (13-02-2013)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

But as someone else in the thread remarked, its a retrograde step when you have to rely on a third party application to restore lost functionality.

But until there is a compelling reason to upgrade, I'll be sticking with Win 7 - but then my upgrade to Win 7 was from Win 2K.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

Boogie83e (11-02-2013)

Thanks

I upgraded to Windows 8 and find that I never use the metro interface or the apps that come with it. I just use decktop mode and third party software for the start button. If I had the same decision again I would just stick with 7 as I really can't find any worthwhile benefits to me

6. Received thanks from:

Boogie83e (11-02-2013)

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

I've begun to customise my Start page. I'm already feeling better about it. I feel sure that I'll adapt to it in time. My main issue with it is that the icons are too large.

Thanks
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240gb Crucial mx500 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

After personalising the metro interface, pinning programs to the taskbar and desktop i have had no grumbles with the interface of W8, and thats coming from a user who upgraded from XP Pro.
    Only slight issues i have are:
    - No games installed as standard - where is chess, solitaire etc! Had to download versions from the store but would have prefered them installed as standard
    - When i click on my broadband software (3 mobile connect), the screen goes black for a second before loading the program.
    Neither are big problems and the fast boot, pre-installed anti-virus software and stability more than make up for this.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Looks like the predictions are coming true - it is tanking. Haven't heard any OEM who is happy with this situation, okay it has only been 1 quarter but still.

MS better get SP1 ready sharpish.

Thanks
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
    ....But I do have to say one massive problem with it, it sure doesn't like multi boot. Windows 7, Linux doesn't understand Windows 8 file partitions for some reason, I assume they changed something. So there isn't any safe way to install another operating system straight off. I found introducing another OS and it has a hissy fit.....
    I've got Windows 8, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed on my machine. The fix I needed was disabling Fast Boot. Not on my Windows 8 machine to check now but it was something like;
    Control Panel >> Hardware & Sound >> Power Options >> "Choose what the power buttons do" >> Disable "Turn on fast startup"
    Got rid of the random BSOD's, devices hanging in a sleep state and constant CHKDSK scans on reboots.

Having used Windows 8, mostly for gaming, for the last few months, I find it ok. Performance is at best 3% faster then Windows 7 and at worst the same. Some improvements to file copying are nice and I like the improvements to Task Manager etc too. Storage Spaces and File History are nice extras. I even like the start screen and its clean appearance after I removed all the junk.

That said, I do just use the start screen to launch programs/games in the desktop environment. For whatever the reason I just can't adopt to the new Metro interface for even basic tasks like online searches. The menu's are confused and inconsistent. Sometimes you're dropped to desktop, sometimes your not. It just doesn't feel connected.

I've had a few issues, like dual booting, file sharing, backups, sound, drivers. All minor issues that you can overcome. But they worked before. With all the effort of reinstalling and troubleshooting for no significant gains. I'd left hoping service pack 1 is released soon and makes the effort all worthwhile with a more polished operating system. Until then I'm left thinking.. why did I bother?

Probably the strangest outcome of getting Windows 8 is the fact I've now switched from Microsoft Office to Libre Office and I'm using my Ubuntu install more then ever. Linux is the future...

xodianbarr

Win 8? Win Meh. Why have microsoft designed a major operating system around a device most computer users dont even have? (touch screen). More to the point, how in the name of frick does any of the functions in Win 8 benefit a desktop PC user? Win 8 is a bigger fail than Vista, and thats saying something. Worse still, they've stopped rolling out Win 7 with new builds, forcing users to go Win 8. Why is the Mac suddenly looking more attractive? Who wants to spend half their time on an OS searching for things that are bloomin' hidden, and whats the point of having control panel icons that you cant even click? Damn you Microsoft, stop trying to force PC users the way you want them to go. Theres nothing wrong with a keyboard and mouse, they work fine. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Thanks

The latest browser comparison at Tom's Hardware convinced me that Windows 8 can be a worthwhile upgrade in terms of performance.

xodianbarr

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    The latest browser comparison at Tom's Hardware convinced me that Windows 8 can be a worthwhile upgrade in terms of performance.
    I hear there is a performance advantage, but i doubt its an earth shattering difference.

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

I use Win 8 on my work laptop, after about 1 day or so, I got used to it. I dont use any apps on the metro interface, I'm just using it to launch desktop apps. No real difference big different than how i launched apps before, and overall the whole thing is way more responsive etc. I don't know why people kicked up so much of a fuss - it is the best of both worlds imo.

Thanks
    • Preacher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock z77 Pro4m
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB GSkill 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500GB 840, 6TB of Seagate in JBOD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X660
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Two old ones from work
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb
    How many people on here are slagging win8 off without trying it? I was cursing ms to my friends at work but its actually quite good to use with a keyboard!

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Yep. If you know all the shortcuts ! I'm getting there slowly...
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

xodianbarr

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    How many people on here are slagging win8 off without trying it? I was cursing ms to my friends at work but its actually quite good to use with a keyboard!

Thats a big assumption to make.. I have it. how else can comment credibly about it?

Thanks
    • Preacher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock z77 Pro4m
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB GSkill 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500GB 840, 6TB of Seagate in JBOD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X660
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Two old ones from work
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb
    Quote Originally Posted by xodianbarr View Post
    Thats a big assumption to make.. I have it. how else can comment credibly about it?
    I'm pretty crap at explaining myself! I knew most would have it but you get the feeling from some of the posts that people are rubbishing it without even trying it!

Still an assumption I suppose but this is an Internet forum. For all the experienced posters on here there will be some less credible posters too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xodianbarr View Post
    I hear there is a performance advantage, but i doubt its an earth shattering difference.
    At least for Firefox, which is what I use, the difference is sometimes tens of percents, so it's significant. Also for some reason it takes less RAM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information