• 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury Black (8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x Crucial MX100 512GB, 1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD R9 390 Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 29UM67 29", 21:9, 2560x1080
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre

Re: Downgrade Win8 preinstalled to Win7 - help needed

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I do, I have a track record in turning around developments so they listen, even more so when they don't like what I'm telling them. They don't pay me for small talk, they pay me to fix the processes, that involves honesty, sometimes telling them they've wasted tens of millions, stop loss.
    Then kindly let me know your company name so I know never to engage your "services".

I'll say it again.

If your being dumb, and someone says your being dumb, when you ignore them its really dumb.
    You just don't get it, do you? YOU may think I'm being dumb but I'm trained, experienced and knowledgeable enough to make up my own mind. So now you're being offensive as well as simply arrogant. You're not the only IT professional around here you know, much less the only one in the world. My own personal and professional experiences lead me to different conclusions than you, that's all. Get off your high horse. There's a line between "no-nonsense" and arrogant and you came across on the wrong side of it.

Your response to my comment about costs of rolling back shows that you really don't understand.
    Where's the cost? I have Win 7 install media and according to the guide that Rob_B helpfully posted I looks like I can use that to roll back. Sure there is my time but this is a favour I'm doing for a friend and I'm prepared to do that. If there was a financial cost in that she'd have to buy the Win7 media and/or licence then we wouldn't be bothering.

But anyway, on with the hammering.
    LOL, hammering, you're so funny. Your ego is hilarious.

So you need the OEMs version for 7.
    OK so now you've said something relevant to my original question - so are you saying if she buys, say, a Samsung laptop she'll need a Samsung OEM Win7 disc and/or key?

Again, before you set out on this endever, why?! Windows 8 has fewer significant changes from a software dev point of view than XP -> SP2 did, much fewer.

There also haven't been any interface changes in SPs since XP. I don't know why you think there will be one coming in 8. MS haven't warned us of any (they did about SP2).
    I'm not even discussing this with you any more, you're not prepared to listen to my reasons. I've repeated them two or three times in my previous posts but you just get more aggressive and offensive with each response.

So I've tried to explain that expecting the 'bugs' is stupid.
    I've tried to explain that down grading to a combination that isn't going to be supported nesecerrally by the OEM is stupid.
    I've explained that surely you going to want to upgrade at some point (which will likely cause iTunes to have a hissy fit and delete everything, because iTunes likes to do that if someone so muches as farts) which is stupid.
    And if you came into my work in a professional capacity and called me stupid you'd be shown the door, immediately.

So the benefits I think are all imagined by you, not based on any real world usage based on what you've said. You don't appear to be aware of the downsides (ie legally to do this you need OEM help).

Sure, complain I provide you with a simple solution, cheaper solution, arguably better, rather than the awnser you wanted.
    I'm done here, I'm not wasting any more of my time arguing with you. I'm sure you must have some clients to insult too.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Are you a moderator? Not being funny, just asking.
    No he isn't, but that doesn't make his point any less valid.

The title of the thread includes the words 'help needed' which to my simple mind indicates that you, er, need help.

Help has been offered (you need an OEM licence) along with some opinions you don't like. (which perhaps might have been phrased a little tactfully, but hey, plain talking makes a change)

You don't have to like the opinions or advice but you have been given some help.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

A part of the modern human condition

http://xkcd.com/386/
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

4. Received thanks from:

Jake_UK (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

This is a walkthrough of how to do it:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

However,like the OP mentioned it is not clear if you need a Windows 7 key or whether the Windows 8 license can be carried over. Maybe it is worth asking on the forum I linked to??

Regarding Windows 8,some of my mates do run it(I do on another machine) and we have encounted a few bugs here and there,when compared to Windows 7 installations with similar hardware. I don't think they are major ones though,but sound like the typical teething pains of a new OS.

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    No he isn't, but that doesn't make his point any less valid.

The title of the thread includes the words 'help needed' which to my simple mind indicates that you, er, need help.

Help has been offered (you need an OEM licence) along with some opinions you don't like. (which perhaps might have been phrased a little tactfully, but hey, plain talking makes a change)

You don't have to like the opinions or advice but you have been given some help.
    I wasn't questioning his point. Yes I did say help needed because as you quite rightly point out I was looking for help but I thought I was quite specific about what I was asking. I can cope with opinions and if Animus had said something more like "hey, Win8 isn't as bad as you might think, maybe give some thought to trying it out" I might have been prepared to listen but I found the tone of his initial and subsequent posts somewhat offensive.

I accept I have been given some help, even a little from Animus and for that I am grateful to all parties who provided it. It wasn't even the opinion I didn't like, it was the insinuation that I am "dumb" or "stupid" (his words) because my experiences lead me to different opinion than Animus.
    "shiro" - Windows 11 Home x64 :: Intel i5-12600K :: Corsair H115i :: MSI Z690-A Pro :: 2x 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR5 :: NVidia 4070 Super FE :: Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) :: WD Caviar Black (2TB) :: WD Caviar Green (2TB) :: Corsair Carbide Air 540 (white) :: LG 32QK500 2560x1440 :: Razer Pro Click :: Cherry KC6000 Slim ::

Throbbing Member
    Thanks
    • 8bit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    This is a walkthrough of how to do it:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

However,like the OP mentioned it is not clear if you need a Windows 7 key or whether the Windows 8 license can be carried over. Maybe it is worth asking on the forum I linked to??

Regarding Windows 8,some of my mates do run it(I do on another machine) and we have encounted a few bugs here and there,when compared to Windows 7 installations with similar hardware. I don't think they are major ones though,but sound like the typical teething pains of a new OS.
    Thanks Cat, I'll check that out. Cheers for the input on your Windows 8 experience so far too.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

And if you came into my work in a professional capacity and called me stupid you'd be shown the door, immediately.
    I'm going out on a limb here, and assuming you've never made a successful company. If someone says your entity doing XYZ is stupid, and you don't say "hmm, why?" then your frankly really stupid. If you ask why, and the person can't give good reasons, then yes, your justified in your posistion, I don't know if I'm lagged badly now and failing to explain it, but here goes again:

"Because I want her to use a more stable, better patched, better supported and more user-friendly one."

I would immedaitly say in Laptop environments I've found 8 to be a lot more stable, the changes around security of executables is a major benefit to the non pro user. It is effectively patched because it has the roll ups from 7, aside from suspend and booting, little has changed in the core. 8 has better support, you can't argue with that surely, it has more years on the clock remaining. As far as user friendly goes, 8 has a lot going for it, so long as your not trying to do it from modern UI that is.

So I would ask what in 8 your worried about? As I mentioned above its unfair to carry NT 4 prejudice (which was utterly useless for many prior to SP4) on to the 7 to 8 change. Its minor. Also re-service packs, read some of the stuff from MS, they want to phase those out so people have to use the micro patches, makes sense from security.

I've explained it depends on the OEM license, this is the gospel from the MS pdf on the matter. I would then suggest you clarify as to why you think it's a good idea. I can only see hurt. Hell if I had a real reason for 7, I'd just fling them a license.

I'm also basing this on first hand experience, not some past performances.

I will say it again, what your doing is time consuming, and I fail to see any benefit in it.

If you want to know my trading brand, sorry, but I like to be a jerk on here, only a few members know who I am. (it's not in my interest to advertise here either, as I've a waiting list due to hard limits on consultancy rates in the city atm, only on the buy side can I get a good one)
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

I wasn't questioning his point. Yes I did say help needed because as you quite rightly point out I was looking for help but I thought I was quite specific about what I was asking. I can cope with opinions and if Animus had said something more like "hey, Win8 isn't as bad as you might think, maybe give some thought to trying it out" I might have been prepared to listen but I found the tone of his initial and subsequent posts somewhat offensive.
    Do you think I'm:

1) Deeply offensive
    2) Some kind of autistic software geek

Which do you think it might be? (hint its pretty damn obvious I am at least dyslexic)

Hell I'll even say my first post isn't remotely offensive, it asks a simple question.

Why a worse OS? (and I'm happy to go full detailed as to why 7 is worse than 8).

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you think I'm:

1) Deeply offensive
    2) Some kind of autistic software geek

Which do you think it might be? (hint its pretty damn obvious I am at least dyslexic)

Hell I'll even say my first post isn't remotely offensive, it asks a simple question.

Why a worse OS? (and I'm happy to go full detailed as to why 7 is worse than 8).
    Can I go for option 3 (both the above) - only kidding as you know

But I think you have made your point!

While I can't comment in the internals of Win8 over Win7, I find this rush to bring a tablet friendly UI to a non-tablet platform - well, odd. It is even happening in the Linux world. At least Apple are (for the moment anyway) appreciating that the two platforms are different.

Of course the counter argument is that the desktop UI is largely irrelevant, and it is the interaction with the applications thst is important. I remain open minded about that.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    While I can't comment in the internals of Win8 over Win7, I find this rush to bring a tablet friendly UI to a non-tablet platform - well, odd. It is even happening in the Linux world. At least Apple are (for the moment anyway) appreciating that the two platforms are different.
    What gets me, wearing my dev hat, is if a client asks "what should I write complex LOB (line of business, ie bespoke boring crap) app in" there is no good awnser. HTML5 sucks, and I will say that until there is a completely cross framework that lets me template on classes, I'm not loosing polymorphism.

So there is all this talk of convergence from MS, yet they've delivered nothing.

It's not a case of say VSM in Silverlight, which allows for differen't 'states' often used by people doing horizontal or vertical with differing components visual. Could have been easily applied by MS. Allow me to make one app for the phone, the tablet, the desktop, the TV. Sadly, they have snaped defeat from the jaws of victory by not allowing such simplicity (and purchasing from clients!).

I am more than happy to talk about the 8 vs 7 thing. There is a lot wrong with 8, and don't get me started on the limitations of modern UI, MS have really screwed the pooch, taking the worst of apple land.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information