Thread: Scared to reboot my computer :?

ZaO

Scared to reboot my computer :?

Edit: Nevermind.
    Last edited by ZaO; 20-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

Re: Scared to reboot my computer :?

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    1. My Windows 7 Drive (Samsung 840 Pro SSD) has 3 sections. First is "System Reserved", second is "C:" and third is "Unallocated" (11GB set by Samsung Magician for Over provisioning). Which section is meant to be marked as active? Don't want to get it wrong or it wont boot apparently!
    The system reserve, it contains BCD store (for booting) and Windows Recovery Environment as well BitLocker depending on Windows 7 Edition. I had an issue before when someone mark another volume which was C as active and Windows 7 will not boot until I have to mark System Reserved as active.
    Last edited by stilkun; 17-05-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Explanation of system reserved, nuff said

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by stilkun View Post
    The system reserve, it contains BCD store (for booting) and Windows Recovery Environment as well BitLocker depending on Windows 7 Edition. I had an issue before when someone mark another volume which was C as active and Windows 7 will not boot until I have to mark System Reserved as active.
    Yeh I had a feeling it should be that sector. But I got impatient and windows told me to make I set the section with the OS installed. So I did that and it didn't boot. I used the Windows disc to repair it though so am back in. But now I need to find the boot files that it has placed somewhere in drive C which I no longer need after setting the correct partition as active now. Any idea where I can find them? Thanks.

Thanks
    • pipTheGeek's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
      • Memory:
      • 3 * 2Gb Corsair XMS @ DDR3 1800
      • Storage:
      • 300GB 15K SAS + 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX570
      • PSU:
      • corsair 760i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 550d
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Alienware 23"
      • Internet:
      • VM 50Mb

I'm afraid I can't answer your main question, but I can guess at why B: drive didn't work. Way back in the mists of time A: and B: were reserved for floppy drives. That is why we all use C: for OS, it is the first drive letter available for hard discs. Although most modern applications won't care, I'd stick with tradition and not use B: for a harddisk.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by pipTheGeek View Post
    I'm afraid I can't answer your main question, but I can guess at why B: drive didn't work. Way back in the mists of time A: and B: were reserved for floppy drives. That is why we all use C: for OS, it is the first drive letter available for hard discs. Although most modern applications won't care, I'd stick with tradition and not use B: for a harddisk.
    yeh i was running computers when floppy drives were about but i jus didn't see why there would be a problem assigning it to B. Well there actually wasn't as far as Windows was concerned. It's just that Samsung prog. No big deal though

My main issue now is wondering whether I should be using this over provisioning space. I set it in Windows. But when I installed Linux it just got rid of it. I was getting confused trying to do things manually with the Linux partitioning tool so I just let it do it's thing on auto mode. Infact I was getting so confused that I unplugged my Windows drive to install Linux. Just seemed like it wanted to mess with the Windows drive no matter what I did. Now I get no boot loader. I have to use the BIOS to chose which HDD to boot off. Anyone know how to make it so I can get one of the boot managers to show up so I can select my OS the easy way? Thanks.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Internet:

You can use Windows command line bcdedit to set up boot manager but I never used this before. I have used this tool EasyBCD when i had trouble with dual booting Windows vista and linux as Windows bootloader was replace Ubuntu grub With this tool I set used Windows boot manager to choose Vista or ubuntu.

I suggest backing up data in case anything goes wrong.

ZaO

You can use Windows command line bcdedit to set up boot manager but I never used this before. I have used this tool EasyBCD when i had trouble with dual booting Windows vista and linux as Windows bootloader was replace Ubuntu grub With this tool I set used Windows boot manager to choose Vista or ubuntu.

I suggest backing up data in case anything goes wrong.
    I see. Well you know what - I think I've just realized something I think Linux was probably trying to overwrite the Windows boot loader which would've made sense because you don't want 2 boot loaders running, I would've thought. I just rebooted Linux after some updates and I got the Grub loader. But it had no option for W7. Not a big deal though. But I'm just wondering, if I set it up so that I can boot both OS's off the Windows boot loader - can I chose advanced boot options for Linux... And the same if I do things the other way round, will I be able to chose to boot Windows into safe mode if I'm using the Grub boot loader... Hmm

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Internet:

Why not both? I am not familiar with Dual booting but I think you can set Windows 7 bootloader as defualt loader to choose Win 7 and the linux within 30 seconds. When you select linux from Windows boot manager, I believe you will enter Grub menu as linux won't boot without it I think...?

ZaO

Why not both? I am not familiar with Dual booting but I think you can set Windows 7 bootloader as defualt loader to choose Win 7 and the linux within 30 seconds. When you select linux from Windows boot manager, I believe you will enter Grub menu as linux won't boot without it I think...?
    That would be very nice If anyone can tell me how I'm all ears

Also I have stumbled accross another problem if anyone can help? UbuntuStudio has been crashing with my CPU OC which is stable on WIndows so am running stock for now. Does anyone know if Ubuntu comes with proper drivers for my CPU? I've found some here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...dType=Firmware
    Not sure if they're right, or even how I would install them. It's been a while since I've used Linux so have lost my way with it a bit...
    Last edited by ZaO; 17-05-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    That would be very nice If anyone can tell me how I'm all ears

Also I have stumbled accross another problem if anyone can help? UbuntuStudio has been crashing with my CPU OC which is stable on WIndows so am running stock for now. Does anyone know if Ubuntu comes with proper drivers for my CPU? I've found some here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...dType=Firmware
    Not sure if they're right, or even how I would install them. It's been a while since I've used Linux so have lost my way with it a bit...
    During Linux installation will not add Windows entry to Grub if cannot detect the drive or a volume containing Windows OS ie unplugged. There is an article on EasyBCD wiki site to set up Windows Boot manager with it tools under windows:
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu

ZaO

During Linux installation will not add Windows entry to Grub if cannot detect the drive or a volume containing Windows OS ie unplugged. There is an article on EasyBCD wiki site to set up Windows Boot manager with it tools under windows:
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu
    I'm not sure how well those steps will work seeing as I have already installed both OS's, but I will have a go once I've figured out this instability issue I'm having. My OC i stable in Windows but Linux just crashes Thanks!

Edit: Had a go with EasyBCD and I got this when I selected Grub from the Windows boot loader. Any ideas?
    Last edited by ZaO; 19-05-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thread Information