Hi,

while browsing a friends music collection on his windows PC I noticed a very clever function within Windows. Each album was in a folder, and the image for the folder was the folder image, with a thumbnail of the album cover on it, it looked really good and made recognising albums really good.

I was wondering if anyone had managed to get this functionality into any linux based file managers/browsers.

I have seen in Konqueror with in KDE that movie files for example display the first frame of the movie as an "icon" for that file, and images are simpley thumbnails of the images, which is sort of the same technology so it is probably doable.

However when I use fluxbox and a browser such as Rox this functionaly disapears, which I'm guessing is a limitation of the file manager.

So there must be two parts to this.

1.) the OS - the ablity to recognise file types and associations (mime types I'm guessing)

2.) The browser to use this functionality to display it

This could be a good project if its not done already but I refuse to accept that windows has a nice bit of code that hasn't been ported yet ;o)

Discuss....