Thread: Office 365 Questions

Thanks

Office 365 Questions

Hi,

I am considering getting Office 365, have a couple of kids who now are using Word etc makes it look quite attractive, however I have a couple of questions and can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

1) Is it full software that you download and install, not some web based only in an browser thing?

2) The documents you save I assume can be saved on your PC or Laptop ??

Thanks for any help
    Jon

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Office 365 Questions

1) Yes. But you also get the web based browser thing too. I find the latter useful when away from a machine that is mine.

2) Yes and you also get some free cloud storage too. Very useful for backups of anything that isn't confidential.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Ideal, thanks mate, going to do a monthly subscription but think they have a good deal on the yearly one at the moment.
    Jon

Thanks

Out of interest all my calendar is offline in Outlook 2007, would you happen to know if it will get imported into Office 365?
    Jon

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, you can back it up before you install 2013, if I was using a calendar that wasn't backed up on my email server I'd recommend doing that as a matter of course (so long as there was nothing too confidential in there!).

However, theoretically, it should import it automatically when you install Outlook 2013 over the top of it. But it is a two version update so, Serra Hotel to use the technical term.

Normally your standard Office 365 home subscription doesn't come with any hosted exchange, but for calendar and contacts you can just use the free Outlook.com service and have it sync with that.

I found it quite useful when joy of joys my USB lead broke for charging my mobile phone. Turned out I only had that one cable with me. I was able to log in and get the mobile phone numbers I needed, as I found out that payphones just don't exist anymore. That was a scary 12 hours without a mobile phone (I bought a new cable as soon as shops opened and I sobered up!)
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

I know what you mean about cables, I have 3 now, the main one, a spare in my house and a spare in the car.

I will back my calendar up locally and see if I can get it synced as well, have had mixed results with synced calendars in the current version of Outlook with it generally giving me 2 reminders etc for one event.

Thanks for the help, will see how we go over the weekend
    Jon

Thread Information