Thread: Help fund a new Mesa contributor on Indiegogo

Thanks

Help fund a new Mesa contributor on Indiegogo

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Arceri
    Helping fund the time for me to become a Mesa contributor and document the experience to make it easier for others to understand where to start with the Mesa codebase.

Many people have brought up the idea of crowd sourcing open source driver development. This is a small scale experiment to see if it could actually work.

Fund me to take two weeks leave from my job and work full time on implementing the GL_KHR_debug extension. I will post daily progress updates and code drops on my website.
    The above is only a small excerpt. Here is the campaign page.

I feel more and more inclined to help fund this. How do you guys feel about this?

Thanks

Re: Help fund a new Mesa contributor on Indiegogo

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Fund me to take two weeks leave from my job
    I assume that his job doesn't do paid leave? Otherwise why can't he just take 2 weeks leave and do the work anyway....?

Interesting concept, but it just strikes me as someone who's kind of interested in open source development but doesn't have the commitment to just do it. I certainly wouldn't back someone to essentially indulge their hobby, and certainly not to the tune of $2500 for 2 weeks - that's a rather tasty $65k a year equivalent! If this was a group of developers looking to work over a reasonable block period - say 3 months - to get an entire first working version of an open source project out, I'd be more inclined to look favourably on it.

Hmm, actually, that's not a bad idea: if you could get a 6 month contract on a house and you ate communally you could probably crowd fund 4 - 6 developers over a 6 month period for ~ £15k...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I assume that his job doesn't do paid leave? Otherwise why can't he just take 2 weeks leave and do the work anyway....?

Interesting concept, but it just strikes me as someone who's kind of interested in open source development but doesn't have the commitment to just do it. I certainly wouldn't back someone to essentially indulge their hobby, and certainly not to the tune of $2500 for 2 weeks - that's a rather tasty $65k a year equivalent! If this was a group of developers looking to work over a reasonable block period - say 3 months - to get an entire first working version of an open source project out, I'd be more inclined to look favourably on it.

Hmm, actually, that's not a bad idea: if you could get a 6 month contract on a house and you ate communally you could probably crowd fund 4 - 6 developers over a 6 month period for ~ £15k...
    He explains all your doubts on the homepage of his campaign and he's contributed to several open source projects before this one but wants to do this one full time for quicker and higher quality results as well as to show that crowd sourcing open source driver development works. In addition, he's quite happy to answer any questions that the community throws at him (he's answered all of mine). I encourage you to pop him a message if you require more information!

Thanks

The funding goal has been reached, plus there is another update to be read!

Thanks

Another update can be found here.

Thread Information