Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way of wiping the HD ?

Thanks

Re: Best way of wiping the HD ?

Not all drives, even new ones, are self-encrypting though AFAIK.

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Just want to mention my point about damaging the drive is completely wrong, I've mis-read what I thought to be correct, learn something new every day!

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Dunno if you know, but one source of leakage of personal info from the council is that, by law, there is broad access to the electoral roll. You can limit (but not entirely stop) commercial access by opting to restrict access to the 'edited' version, which will still allow some types of access (including voting) but certainly should stop you being included on the bits that companies ) like 192.com, IIRC) can buy.

The downside? If friend, or long lost relatives, that have lost or never had cobtact with you try to find you, this will make it harder.

Also, of course, any info 192.com already have from previous sccess to electoral rolls won't be removed by this. It'll just stop it being updated. And you can also ask 192.com to remove your data from their database.

It would be nice if there was an option somewhere to request ALL unsolicited marketing cease, and one that had enforceability. And sharp teeth. But there isn't. So even if 192 take your data off, you've got to find those services one by one, and ask for removal.

A far better aporoach, if you care enough to bother (and I do), is to take as feasible steps to stop it getting on in the first place.
    Sometimes others things get in the way , so its case of taking what I can get , and sometimes I use other ploys like updating my Yasni profile with other unrelated stuff or near names in hope of throwing any snoopers off.

Even if I didnt have anything to hide ( which I dont ) Id almost feel compelled too given how unbearable people natures and society has become.

Regrettably the counter culture of the 70s has a lot to answer for this regard, they turned any serious hope for exploration to save humanity into a joke , and abused all the drugs that - up until till then - has been used for more serious purposes by those who really wanted change , such a shame.. but then only handful ever " get it " any way unless science finds a way.

We're already like that film Cat mentioned , "idiocracy " in many ways.
    Last edited by Kai; 26-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

I've hit a brick wall , my disc ( tdk 4.7 gb ) is not booting up in Wins 8 at all . ( I used poweriso to burn it ) would a flash drive , different burner make any difference ?
    Last edited by Kai; 27-08-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-B75-D3V (rev 1.1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i5-3470 Processor
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Black Viper 24GB 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 7850 OC edition 2 GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • AvP Triton Mid Tower PC Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 (64 Bit)
      • Internet:
      • 8 Mbps (1 MBps) Tiscali

Flash drive read faster than DVD drive. Extract all your windows 8 setup files onto a flash drive which will boot within a minute or less whilst DVD you go to wait patiently to load which can take up to two to three minutes to boot.

6. Received thanks from:

Kai (27-08-2013)

Thanks

Did you burn it in iso mode, not just copy the file to the disc? Also, you often have to enter a boot menu to select the optical drive as the boot drive. If you did all that, what happened exactly, any errors?

8. Received thanks from:

Kai (27-08-2013)

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Did you burn it in iso mode, not just copy the file to the disc? Also, you often have to enter a boot menu to select the optical drive as the boot drive. If you did all that, what happened exactly, any errors?
    yeah I burned in Iso mode .

There was no boot menu , like shown here it just loaded up windows as normal .

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stilkun View Post
    Flash drive read faster than DVD drive. Extract all your windows 8 setup files onto a flash drive which will boot within a minute or less whilst DVD you go to wait patiently to load which can take up to two to three minutes to boot.
    i tried wintobootic to create my bootable flash but its says dban iso is corrupted . not compatible with Win 8 ???

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 240GB, Samsung 32 GB mSATA, MAXTOR SATAI 250 GB, WD Blue SATA III 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    i tried wintobootic to create my bootable flash but its says dban iso is corrupted . not compatible with Win 8 ???
    Oh you are trying to create bootable dban. I think you need pendrivelinux to select dban as it is a linux based distro, not a windows type to burn onto USB. Be careful and back up anything on the USB as this will clear anything on there.

Dban does not boot within windows, you need to go to advance boot usually F12 to select the device to boot from CD or USB. Dban is loaded into the RAM as OS and if you are booting from USB, make sure to remove it as it would be detect it as part of the nuke.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Oh you are trying to create bootable dban. I think you need pendrivelinux to select dban as it is a linux based distro, not a windows type to burn onto USB. Be careful and back up anything on the USB as this will clear anything on there.

Dban does not boot within windows, you need to go to advance boot usually F12 to select the device to boot from CD or USB. Dban is loaded into the RAM as OS and if you are booting from USB, make sure to remove it as it would be detect it as part of the nuke.
    yes, beat you to it ...so all going well 7 passes of 1 round should be fine , right ?

So is it safe to leave drive in then got to F12 to boot from usb ? ( i assume so given I need to select usb in the first place ? )

Thanks

I'd probably just do 1 random wipe, and allow it to complete the final zero overwrite.

Yeah you'll need to leave the drive in to boot from it. You might have to try a few keys to get to the boot menu, it would help if you have the laptop guide to hand as laptops tend not to show you what key to press.

Bear in mind, some laptops will have a protected area on the disk used for OS recovery which you may not be able to overwrite unless you disable the write-protection in BIOS. But obviously, make sure you have alternate means of recovering the OS before doing so.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I'd probably just do 1 random wipe, and allow it to complete the final zero overwrite.

Yeah you'll need to leave the drive in to boot from it. You might have to try a few keys to get to the boot menu, it would help if you have the laptop guide to hand as laptops tend not to show you what key to press.

Bear in mind, some laptops will have a protected area on the disk used for OS recovery which you may not be able to overwrite unless you disable the write-protection in BIOS. But obviously, make sure you have alternate means of recovering the OS before doing so.
    nah, just as long the recovery hasnt saved anything personal .

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

so i went in set my flash to boot up n'all and its still not working......

Minister of Silly Walks
    Thanks
    • stilkun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • XFX 450w Core
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Internet:

Which version of dban you are using?

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Which version of dban you are using?
    2.2.7 - the latest

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

I take it restoring to factory settings is pretty unreliable at clearing data, as I have this " Onekey Recovery " program in windows and also the option through the BIOS that looks like it requires me to set an Admin pass ?

I don't see any way i can use format command without creating another flash drive to boot up MSDOS ( there is no restart option in win 8 I see )

Also there is something called Backflash Bios I see is disabled ( if that has any bearings on why dban won't boot )

Ugh , this always confuses me, I can see now that using command format / DBan is pointless , as I have no way to reinstall the OS system ( theres no disc )
    and for some reason I just assumed there was ( a way just format data but without losing the OS - unless that's system recovery ) I suppose I will just have to use an inhouse program like " eraser " instead , and then use recovery to get back to factory setting - unless there's a better way ?
    Last edited by Kai; 28-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information