I have an Acer laptop which had Windows 8 installed. Not my favourite choice, as well happy with Windows 7 on my desktop. On advice I upgraded the laptop to Windows 8.1, to my dismay Windows Live Mail fails to start, just the initial dialogue box and a whirring donut. Not listed in Task Manager.

Tried various things without success, so onto Microsoft Support, quite a speedy response but initial suggestions did not produce results. Next they requested the Windows Live Mail logs, ok fine by me, and read their guidelines to get the logs.

First hurdle, Start Windows Live Mail. Mmmm obviously not digesting information sent to them.

Spent a while scratching head, the right clicked the Windows Live Mail icon which produced a mini task bar at the bottom of the screen, in which was 'run as administrator' lo and behold Windows Live Mail worked as previously...Perfect.

Each time I wish to use Windows Live Mail its that procedure, not a permanent fix. Obtained logs as they required, and sent them off with the workaround. Awaiting response. So be wary of Windows 8.1 its not the icing on the cake.