Thread: LINUX! Teach Me!

Thanks

LINUX! Teach Me!

Hi Guys and Gals

I've recently decided to build a basic htpc/home server and that I don't want to fork out for windows 7/8. I'd like to call upon the collective knowledge of the Hexus forum users (at least you who are reading it) to teach me as much about Linux as possible so I can make informed decisions when the time comes I've had a bit of a read around the area and I think I've got a basic grasp of the concept, but I'd like to know a lot more! I am happy to have information on pretty much anything Linux. Below are just a few main points I'd like to know about, but feel free to talk about something else Linux related...

Which Linux OS to use
    How to download and install it
    Online Security
    File sharing
    Internet Browser
    Component compatibility

I'm sure there are plenty more things that I should know about, but they are the main things I can think of at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS
    DoubleHelix

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Re: LINUX! Teach Me!

At the moment the favourite for easy to use distros seems to be Mint so a good place to start would be to download a live image and have a play about

http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

WIth the live image you can play with Linux and see how you like it and then if youy want install it properly. This is one of the great things about linux

best thing to do though is just get a few distros and try them on a usb stick to see what you like.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

This will help

3. Received thanks from:

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I feel for you, because the choice is vast, and confusing.

One point to get straight, if you haven't already, is that a lot of "distro's" are built on the same core version if Linux, but tweaked in different ways.

Tweak #1 is the UI. You can get basic command line, or you can get various flavours of interface, like Gnome or KDE. And within that, you can get the latest implementation, like Unity, or more 'classic' variations, which is rather like choosing between a conventional Win7 interface, or something with a dramatic overhaul, like Unity, which is to 'standard UIs what Win 8 is to Win7. I.e. a bit weird, until you get used to it.

Then, you get distro's targetted at different types of use, and different levels of hardware. You can get bells and whistles versions, like the current 14.04 Unity version of Ubuntu, or various 'light' versions designed for older, or even much older, hardware. Partly, this consists of what comes pre-bundled. So, the more heavyweight versions might (and do, for Ubuntu) have Libre Office apps pre-included. Lighter versions may not.

So, if you decide on the Debian-based Ubuntu, you can still pick a variety of flavours, depending on what you're going to do with it, what it's running on, and what you want pre-included as opposed to installing yourself.

And finally, in this scenario, and unlike Windows, if you get a distro with a UI you don't like, you don't have to install a completely different OS (like removing Win8 and putting Win 7 back on). Oh no. You can just, for example, install KDE and remove Unity.

So, as kopite suggested, download a few distros and play with them from Live CD. But don't be too off-put if the interface is weird, because you can change it. Oh, and do be aware, Unity (latest Ubuntu UI) is .... controversial. It has a lot of detractors. I quite like it personally, but it does require a bit of a mindset change. If you want to avoid the hassle, go for one of the UIs designed to be more familiar with Windows users.

5. Received thanks from:

RobTi (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

I'd recommend the book "Linux Bible" by Christopher Negus.
    I learned a lot about Linux 10 years ago with this book and an old PC. The version of the book I had, came with the install disks for Red Hat at the time and it was brilliant.
    It made total sense and was easy to follow. I think there have been about 8 revisions to the book since, and it's no longer focused on one distro.
    If I wanted to re-visit Linux again, I'd probably go and buy the book again myself.

Thread Information