Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a good alternative to Skype?

ZaO

Can you recommend a good alternative to Skype?

I am put off by using Skype. So I was hoping to find a good alternative to it. Ideally I would like something that is as easy to use, so that it won't be hard to convince friends to use it. I would also like to have encrypted communications. Can you guys suggest anything good? Thanks

Edit: My aim is to not have my comms monitored by corps, or anyone for that matter. So things like Google are not an option for me. I'm sure there would be plenty of good options on Linux. But the challenge is - I'm looking for something to use on W7!
    Last edited by ZaO; 25-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Thanks
    • theanalyzer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD Green 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Matrix 7970
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster V550S
      • Case:
      • CM Storm Stryker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2411T

Re: Can you recommend a good alternative to Skpye?

Been looking as well. The think I hate about it the most is how delayed the messages are when any one of the guys in the group is logged from his mobile device. Also takes alot of battery power.

Thanks

Googles one is probably the next most popular?

You can have group meetings for free as well which you have to pay for on Skype. Well at least one person needs to with Skype.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

+1 for Google Hangouts.

OilSheikh

Viber ?
    There's another one, can't remember the name.... argh !

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

Any particular features you would want/any particular reasons you want to move away from Skype?

Google hangouts seem to be relatively popular and work fairly well.

ZaO

Hey guys. No - Google is just as bad as Skype lol! No way I want anything google. Sorry I should've mentioned that! Will update my post! Thankyou for the suggestions though - and I will lookup Viber

To cut a long story short - I don't want all my communications monitored by corps. I still value privacy and would like to try and keep some if I can. Thanks all.

Edit: Viber looks like a mobile only app?

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Teamspeak...? Just voice but you can run your own server.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Indeed. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is Audio & Video, is on both Mobile devices & computer and isn't run by a large corp... Each to their own but I can't see what M$/Google are going to get out of listening/watching you chat to your mates unless you are doing something very iffy.

Mumble/TS/Vent all offer mobile versions of their software and as Jimbouk said you can host the server yourself.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I found a really good alternative to Skype, and I use it a lot for chatting to friends and family. Admittedly, it's audio only, but it is OS-independent.

It's called "a telephone".

Sorry, ZaO, couldn't resist.

I'm serious, though. It's what I use.

11. Received thanks from:

DavidM (25-11-2013)

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Teamspeak...? Just voice but you can run your own server.
    I suppose that might be an option yes. I have no idea how to setup a server. Can I just use my computer as one for free when I connect to someone? Was hoping to not have to pay

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    Indeed. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that is Audio & Video, is on both Mobile devices & computer and isn't run by a large corp... Each to their own but I can't see what M$/Google are going to get out of listening/watching you chat to your mates unless you are doing something very iffy.

Mumble/TS/Vent all offer mobile versions of their software and as Jimbouk said you can host the server yourself.
    Please don't fall into this new gen thinking where anyone who wants privacy must be a terrorist. As a human, I have a right to privacy and it doesn't need to cause any concern for suspicion. I just want privacy. Are the corps and governments letting us pear into all their dealings? No, I don't think so! They're the ones to be concerned about in my opinion. But honestly - thanks for the input I think I've actually used all of the ones you've suggested at some point or another. Just not sure any of them have encrypted coms?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I found a really good alternative to Skype, and I use it a lot for chatting to friends and family. Admittedly, it's audio only, but it is OS-independent.

It's called "a telephone".

Sorry, ZaO, couldn't resist.

I'm serious, though. It's what I use.
    Haha well that's not really a good solution for me I don't do voip often at all, and I never actually answer my phone either. But I am specifically looking for encrypted voice comms over the net.
    I am using this on an MS OS as I say. I don't trust MS and would like to stop using this OS when I can. As soon as the Valve OS picks up some Steam (terrible pun, sorry), I will be making the switch, apart from a few programs I use that I probably can't run on Linux. Thanks all

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post

Haha well that's not really a good solution for me I don't do voip often at all, and I never actually answer my phone either. But I am specifically looking for encrypted voice comms over the net.
    I am using this on an MS OS as I say. I don't trust MS and would like to stop using this OS when I can. As soon as the Valve OS picks up some Steam (terrible pun, sorry), I will be making the switch, apart from a few programs I use that I probably can't run on Linux. Thanks all
    Yeah, I was a bit tongue-in-cheek there. A more serious answer would be that I'm watching this thread to see what answers you get. Something might interest me.

My first answer, however, has an inference or two that weren't entirely tongue-in-cheek.

I entirely agree about concern over privacy, and short of a radical change in laws, national and international, it is a subject about which I suspect public concern, and possibly outrage, is going to grow over the next few years.

The "inferences" I referred to are, first, penetration of technology into ever more aspects of our lives, and more by corporations than governments, to be honest. And secondly, the current differentiation betwen the legal position on phones, versus internet.

Actually tapping your phone is, first, far FAR more difficult than tapping just about any internet data stream. It is very hard for anyone but a telephone company to do, unless you're a government with jurisdiction. I don't mean that tapping an individual phone is that hard, technically, but that doing it wholesale, on an industrial scale, is. Unless you have NSA levels of access and levels of computer power.

And then there's the legal position. Unless it's changed since I last looked, getting legal permission to tap phones requires very high level sign-off, on an evidence-based case.

So .... if you're a terrorist, member of a paedo ring, or an international criminal, etc, perhaps you have something to fear from wire-tap warrants. But otherwise, "chatting" to friends or family on the phone is a pretty effective way of being reasonably sure of confidentiality, both from governments and especially corporations.

As soon as you have an data stream going over the internet, however, you are inherently at far higher risk of interception, partly because the legal protections are lower, but also because it's incomparably easier to intercept wholesale, and requires far, far less human involvement.

So, while my suggestion was certainly a tad facetious, it wasn't entirely a fatuous suggestion.

Of course, if it's not right for your circumstances, then it isn't, and I understand that.

I do think the concern you raise, basically ensuring a decent level of personal privacy just because you don't want nosy corporations or governments big-brothering your every thought, is going to be one that bothers increasing numbers of people, and the solution you seek, encrypted channels of communication, is likely to be a growth industry. It's certainly something I'd pay for, IF it was secure, trustworthy, easy to use, widely adopted, and sensibly priced. I have, for instance, been using encryption on some of my emails, where the content justifies it, for, oh, 20 years, give or take.

So, I 'feel you', brother. And will be paying close attention to any suggestions you get.

14. Received thanks from:

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

But of course BT's network (and I guess most telcos are/have moved in the same direction) is now an IP routed network, and while it might be a private IP network, it is still subject to the same strengths and weaknesses of any other IP network.

That doesn"t exempt it from the legal controls you refer to of course, which have to be adhered to, and certainly if the evidence is to be admissible in a UK court of law.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

16. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Re: Can you recommend a good alternative to Skype?

Mumble does advertise encryption:

Stay private and secure
    always encrypted communication
    Public/private-key authentication by default
    But no idea if thats what you are after.

18. Received thanks from:

ZaO

Thanks Saracen - great post! I don't really know what to add to what you said. But interesting info there, thanks

As a side note here - I just want to make it clear to anyone who might be wondering - I am not up to anything dodgy! I normally only communicate with people via email, text message, and in person of course. Basically the only time I fire up Skype is when I play online games with a friend. All we're doing is communicating in regards to the game and just generally having a laugh talking about whatever random things seem funny at the time. Just regular friends conversations you know. But I just don't want people peering into my life all the time. Doesn't mean I'm up to something bad. We all like privacy at times. Who would actually agree to let someone setup cameras and mics all over their house, because if they're doing nothing wrong - they have nothing to worry about!? So basically - that is just my message for anyone who is concerned. Not aiming it anyone specifically!

Thanks again Dooms. I'm not all that clued up technically when it comes to things like encryption - but that sounds great, thanks

I am making a little list of all the suggestions that pop up here. Then I will try them all out one night and see which ones I like best.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I appreciate it!

Registered+
    Thanks

Viber or LINE, if you don't really mind registering through your mobile phone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information