Thread: The long awaited return of the start menu

Thanks

The long awaited return of the start menu

The old start menu for Windows is coming back . Sometimes the solution is as easy as just going back to the basics .

Thanks

Re: The long awaited return of the start menu

I'd bet that the majority of tech-savvy users of windows 8 have added a start menu through a third party program. Could they not introduce some sort of active desktop/tiles instead of the basic wallpaper? They could combine the two interfaces.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: The long awaited return of the start menu

As long as those "active" tiles can be removed, turned off and disabled. There is little or nothing I want "active" on my desktop. Clock maybe (though the one hanging on the wall suffices), but beyond that, nope. I also don't want ever more memory and vpu cycles wasted running all sorts of desktop dtivel I have no interest in or use for.

Bringing back the start menu, at the minimum as a user-selectable option, is a good start in rehabilitating W8, but for me it's not enough. MUI is, to me, not only of zero interest or use on a desktop with no touch screen, but it is absolutely a damn nuisance. I not only want to default to desktop (as you now can), but I want to be able to entirely disable MUI mode. And as with the start menu, I don't want to be forced to install 3rd party tools, even if free, to rectify the cockup MS made.

Will MS do this? Maybe, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thread Information