Thread: Is there any way of deauthorizing a Windows 8 for a new computer?

Registered+
    Thanks

Is there any way of deauthorizing a Windows 8 for a new computer?

Hello,

I have owned this laptop for a year and a half now, and have been looking into building my own PC. One of my main concerns is whether or not I can deauthorize my windows 8 for use on the new computer.

The windows 8 package I got was an upgrade package from the windows 7 that the laptop came with. I can easily downgrade to windows 7 but can I do it in a way that I can reclaim my windows 8?

Thanks

Splash

Re: Is there any way of deauthorizing a Windows 8 for a new computer?

Afraid not: upgrade licenses inherit the license type (OEM or Retail) that they upgrade. Assuming that the Win7 that the laptop came with is OEM then the Win8 is also OEM, which means that it effectively lives and dies with the machine that it's installed on. Only Retail licenses provide transfer rights.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Afraid not: upgrade licenses inherit the license type (OEM or Retail) that they upgrade. Assuming that the Win7 that the laptop came with is OEM then the Win8 is also OEM, which means that it effectively lives and dies with the machine that it's installed on. Only Retail licenses provide transfer rights.
    Damn, guess that's another 50 quid or so to add on to the total cost. Thanks for the info though.

Registered+
    Thanks

It wasn't one of those £15 upgrade packages that were on offer when windows 8 came out?
    I take it this was a free upgrade?
    If it was a bought one i would think you could use it on another computer using the phone authorisation since it would be the first time you had reauthorised it, wouldn't that be so?

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by Murph02 View Post
    It wasn't one of those £15 upgrade packages that were on offer when windows 8 came out?
    I take it this was a free upgrade?
    If it was a bought one i would think you could use it on another computer using the phone authorisation since it would be the first time you had reauthorised it, wouldn't that be so?
    If it was an upgrade license (regardless if it was free or not) and it was used to upgrade an OEM license then upgrade has the same rights that the original install of Windows had: ie no transfer rights. Some will tell you that you might be able to get it to activate by going through phone activation, maybe telling the person at the other end (if you end up speaking to a person) that it was used to replace faulty hardware or some such, but you'd be breaching the terms of the license agreement in doing so.

6. Received thanks from:

peterb (02-01-2015)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    If it was an upgrade license (regardless if it was free or not) and it was used to upgrade an OEM license then upgrade has the same rights that the original install of Windows had: ie no transfer rights. Some will tell you that you might be able to get it to activate by going through phone activation, maybe telling the person at the other end (if you end up speaking to a person) that it was used to replace faulty hardware or some such, but you'd be breaching the terms of the license agreement in doing so.
    QFT.

And HEXUS does not condone the abuse of licensing rights....
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    QFT.

And HEXUS does not condone the abuse of licensing rights....
    Heavens forbid! We would never do a thing like that Admin. Now where were my instructions to root my phone.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quentium View Post
    Hello,

I have owned this laptop for a year and a half now, and have been looking into building my own PC. One of my main concerns is whether or not I can deauthorize my windows 8 for use on the new computer.

The windows 8 package I got was an upgrade package from the windows 7 that the laptop came with. I can easily downgrade to windows 7 but can I do it in a way that I can reclaim my windows 8?

Thanks
    Hi quentium,

You can deauthorize windows on your computer by reverting it to trial mode
    This is how to do it press Windows key + X click Command Prompt (Admin)
    at the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    hit Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer and set it back to trial mode, you can now use it on another computer..

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by kyriousrobert View Post
    Hi quentium,

You can deauthorize windows on your computer by reverting it to trial mode
    This is how to do it press Windows key + X click Command Prompt (Admin)
    at the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    hit Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer and set it back to trial mode, you can now use it on another computer..
    That would work for a retail copy, but this is an upgrade over an OEM install and as such the license is tied to the machine it's installed to in accordance with the license terms.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coak333 View Post
    Heavens forbid! We would never do a thing like that Admin. Now where were my instructions to root my phone.....
    Well, wearing my utterly po-faced Admin hat for a moment, I would point out that rooting is, currently at least, regarded as at least sometimes legal, a grey area. Bypassing copyright is not, and that is what using a licenced product otherwise than in accordance with the licence would be.

Here's the thing.

Rooting can be done for a variety of purposes, many of them utterly legal. For example, interoperability with other software, such as low-level tools like a firewall, the installation of which requires permissions you can't get without rooting. EU law certainly currently appears to permit this. It might be a breach of the 2003 UK amendments to copyright law, but it hasn't (to the best of our knowledge) yet been tested in court, and there are some legit reasons for bypassing DRM..... such as installing a firewall. Even US law recognises this, and such interoperability issues are currently recognised by the patent office as a valid exemption to the DCMA.

The point?

As a commercial enterprise, and de-facto publisher of these forums, HEXUS has to be very careful of what we allow and what we don't, because a number of copyright issues become criminal offences if done in the course of a business, when they're merely civil issues outside of a business.

And we don't fancy the legal bills attached to defending such court actions.

So, we have a simple policy - we do not permit activities on these boards that we consider will RISK dropping HEXUS in potentially deep legal poop. Frankly, it's hassle we can live without, and so we take excluding such activities seriously.

What you do with your hardware at home, be it phone or PC, with Android or Windows, is your business, not ours, and we really don't care. But as soon as anyone starts discussions that look to be heading towards liability for us, we do care, and it's not a joking matter. Such activities WILL be removed, and if member(s) should choose to ignore requests/instructions to not discuss such matters, said members risk being removed too.

Thread Information