Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year - BBC Report

Thanks

Re: Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year - BBC Report

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Win 10 isn't going to be free.

For one year from launch date, anyone running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 can get a free upgrade to Win 10. Anyone buying a Win 10 with or for a new PC, or upgrading a year or more after launch, will pay in the usual way.

MS want everyone on Win 10 'cause they're starting to push unified apps and a device ecosystem. A free upgrade to people who've already paid for a PC OS might persuade them to buy more Win 10 devices (after all, who wouldn't ant their phone, tablet, laptop, desktop and games console all seamlessly running the same apps). It's a reasonable ploy from MS - they get some feels back from the community, and they get a quick boost in install base of their new OS (for instance I can't see anyone currently on Win 8/8.1 not taking the free upgrade, and I suspect a reasonable proportion of Win 7 users will go for it too).
    And which part of " can get a free upgrade to Win 10" confuses you?

Registered+
    Thanks

It's going to be a lot easier for MS to close support for old and popular OS's like Win 7 - reducing costs.
    Its a Win for MS, a potential bug-headache for consumers (as we all know - new OS's) tend to have quite a few bugs for the first 2 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DB007 View Post
    It's going to be a lot easier for MS to close support for old and popular OS's like Win 7 - reducing costs.
    Its a Win for MS, a potential bug-headache for consumers (as we all know - new OS's) tend to have quite a few bugs for the first 2 years.
    While I would agree if we're talking about Windows 8 or 8.1 I disagree when it comes to windows 7.

Microsoft have included windows 7 as they know they have to but the reality is the number of windows 7 and 8 / 8.1 users which upgrade is all going to depend on two factors.

- How easy the upgrade is.
    - Compatibility

While some might upgrade to find compatibility issues with existing hardware and or software ultimately if it takes any more than clicking an "upgrade now" button it’s just not going to work for standard users.

I will be interested to see how Microsoft present windows 7 users the option to upgrade. The only way I can think of is some kind of popup on windows update to advise the users its available and then allowing them to decide if they would like to upgrade or not. The other option would be to give windows 7 users the microsoft store and allow them to upgrade though that like windows 8 users upgraded to windows 8.1.

Also keep in mind what makes up for a very large percentage of the current windows 7 users which is business users. Businesses will either not be able to upgrade for free as it does not include them under their agreement or will not want to within the year free upgrade period for fears of user training, compatibility and amount of time and cost required to do the upgrade.

The reality is while the offer will no doubt help give windows 10 a take up boost on release we're still going to be looking at about 50% of users still running windows 7 (dropping from current 55%) after the first year would be my guess with windows 10 approaching 10% in total considering windows 8 or 8.1 users will have upgraded also.
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H,Phenom II X4 960T Unlocked to X6, 8GB Corsair DDR3, OCZ 90GB SSD and Samsung 1TB HDD, HP LP2475w , HD5850 , SA-VE2M Speakers, Pioneer Amp

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ApophisXP's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair Hydro H100i
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Kingston 1333
      • Storage:
      • OS: 480GB Crucial SSD | Games: 250GB Vertex 3 SSD | Storage: 4TB Seagate SSHD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 1000 G2
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster SA300 x2

I wonder if MSDN keys will also get the upgrade choice

Registered+
    Thanks

the question is..will it be free for just 1 yr, then after 1yr they will lock ur pc down until you pay to keep using it...maybe like half price of a normal license...so its like a 1 yr trial or they release a windows 10.1 version that u would need to pay and update

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ApophisXP View Post
    I wonder if MSDN keys will also get the upgrade choice
    No afraid not, it will be the same as from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro for corporate customers they will need to purchase the upgrade (unless they have software assurance) and then download and use the media to upgrade from MSDN or the volume license.

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman View Post
    the question is..will it be free for just 1 yr, then after 1yr they will lock ur pc down until you pay to keep using it...maybe like half price of a normal license...so its like a 1 yr trial or they release a windows 10.1 version that u would need to pay and update
    From what I've read Microsoft have said that once upgraded the device will continue to receive updates / upgrades for the life of the OS. The only thing which will change after the first year is those users which have not taken advantage of the promotion to upgrade will no longer be able to and I would suspect have to pay “something” to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H,Phenom II X4 960T Unlocked to X6, 8GB Corsair DDR3, OCZ 90GB SSD and Samsung 1TB HDD, HP LP2475w , HD5850 , SA-VE2M Speakers, Pioneer Amp

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by gamesaregood View Post
    From what I've read Microsoft have said that once upgraded the device will continue to receive updates / upgrades for the life of the OS.
    Last I read they said "receive updates for the life of the device", which could mean anything.

I have a 6 year old Dell laptop, happily running Windows 7, but as its most definitely past the end of life as far as Dell is concerned, will that mean no Windows 10, just that I can install it and not get any updates?

Splash

I would interpret it as "updates until the activate device fails"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    Last I read they said "receive updates for the life of the device", which could mean anything.

I have a 6 year old Dell laptop, happily running Windows 7, but as its most definitely past the end of life as far as Dell is concerned, will that mean no Windows 10, just that I can install it and not get any updates?
    Yes I think your right as in it did say device and we can only assume as this stage that like lifetime warranty while the device is still working and functioning and being used it should be eliable to contiune receiving windows updates and upgrades issues to windows 10 users. What really will be interesting however is how Microsoft issue these upgrades for windows 7 and 8/8.1 users as in will it require a product code for validation for windows 7 users and for windows 8/8.1 users which don't have it embedded within the bios or will it be installed like a service pack and just look to see if the install appears to be genuine. If so for retail users (like me) does they mean if they upgrade a PC to windows 10 and then want to move the license it would then be back at windows 7 or 8/8.1 after the 1 year upgrade window has expired?

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    I would interpret it as "updates until the activate device fails"
    Yes that makes sense.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    how much ram and how many cpus will win 10 pro see hardware wise, any links?
    I have heard that the system requirements in terms of Ram and CPU are the same for windows 10, as for Win 7 or 8.

However, I have also heard that an UEFI bios is now required. If that is true, there will be plenty of systems out there that cannot be upgraded for that reason alone. I have at least two PCs at my house that would be in that situation, that I would like to upgrade, but probably won't be able to.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post

The last I read it was worse than that. They said "supported life".

That is, when they decide to stop supporting it, the "life" is ended, even if the hardware still works fine.

One question is ... what happens then? Can you carry on using it, unsupported, without further updates, like my XP systems? Or, being a 'continuously updated" system, does the OS cease to function?

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    I have heard that the system requirements in terms of Ram and CPU are the same for windows 10, as for Win 7 or 8.

However, I have also heard that an UEFI bios is now required. If that is true, there will be plenty of systems out there that cannot be upgraded for that reason alone. I have at least two PCs at my house that would be in that situation, that I would like to upgrade, but probably won't be able to.
    Well the insider builds of Win 10 can even run on older 7 year computers...I checked mine from "MSINFO32" and at bios mode says "Legacy"....Anyway if MS are making restrictions I would have thought it wouldn't reduce piracy.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by chrestomanci View Post
    Perhaps a mishearing of some of the new OEM requirements surrounding UEFI?

Registered+
    Thanks

Part of the reason it's "free" is because of the huge potential for "in-app purchases", so to speak. Paid widgets, apps, etc. will all become normal just as they are on the Android/Apple app stores.

Especially because W10 is the "cross device" OS.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Now only free on OEM devices that shipped with Windows 7 or above.

July 29th is the release date, not much longer to wait.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Now only free on OEM devices that shipped with Windows 7 or above.

July 29th is the release date, not much longer to wait.
    This is not true, and you need to quit repeating it. Or provide irrefutable proof.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information