Thread: Business cloud with sub permissions

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Business cloud with sub permissions

I was looking at dropbox for sharing main drive storage amongst all users

Basically I'd like a single shared folder structure around 2TB,
    but with individual permissions, accessible from ipads and tablets, on and offsite

Dropbox want £11 per month per user (which is a lot when I'm talking 50+ users !)
    but they give 1Tb "per user"

So I could setup a volume under one DropBox user, and give all users that password.

that works - but with no individual access rights, and if any user left they'd have to set the password for all....

Any ideas for services to provide this ? (It's the per user/month price killing it)
    better rolling my own via VPN?
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Splash

Re: Business cloud with sub permissions

Have you considered Owncloud and hosting it yourself?

Registered+
    Thanks

Google drive? You can control access by user and they do large storage space if you pay for it (up to 30TB). Best check if there's a user limit though

Splash

Seriously, if it's for business use I'd be sorely tempted to go with Owncloud over SSL. Host it yourself on next to no hardware, and your data stays under your control at all times.

Banned
    Thanks

How are you dealing with the business continuity planning if you are moving to the cloud?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Many companies do not like using gmail and in a number of cases, are not allowed to (especially is they do any work for any part of the UK government).

But the only other one I can think of right now is Box.net, although that is also £11pm per user.

I would look at using Azure or AWS to host your own service in the cloud.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Many companies do not like using gmail and in a number of cases, are not allowed to (especially is they do any work for any part of the UK government).

But the only other one I can think of right now is Box.net, although that is also £11pm per user.

I would look at using Azure or AWS to host your own service in the cloud.
    There's an Office365 shard that's accredited by CESG for use by the UK Government for data up to a certain grade (Official only, I believe). Anything above that can only be dealt with by companies who are accredited to host that level of data. I'm pretty sure that Azure and AWS are not accredited.

Thread Information