Thread: After getting the key, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on my new PC?

Thanks

After getting the key, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on my new PC?

How do I use the key to eventually allow me to download Windows 10 on the PC I'm building. Do I need to get it on a memory stick first and then somehow go through BIOS to get it to install what's on the stick?

SUMMONER

Re: After getting the key, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on my new PC?

For a clean install follow the link to make a Windows 10 install DVD/USB key.

If the USB key/DVD is the only bootable device at the time of turning the computer on, it will likely start the Windows installation automatically, otherwise you may have to press ESC/F10 or similar and choose the USB key/DVD from a list of devices. Which key you need to press to choose a boot device depends on the make of your motherboard. There is usually a hint displayed immediately after power on, for a few seconds, to say which one it is.

linky
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 10-08-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: After getting the key, how would I go about installing Windows 10 on my new PC?

afaik, the key is irrelevent. you need to install win 7/8 on the new pc and then upgrade it. you cannot clean install on hardware that hasn't been activated before.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    afaik, the key is irrelevent. you need to install win 7/8 on the new pc and then upgrade it. you cannot clean install on hardware that hasn't been activated before.
    He's talking about a retail key, which is an entirely different animal. I'm also going to hazard a guess that he's not been back, and his account may have been banned, since he's showing 0 posts in his profile.

Thread Information