Thread: Highly suspicious of retail Windows 10 licence

Thanks

Highly suspicious of retail Windows 10 licence

Hi all,

Having Windows 7 RETAIL, I have been watching the free upgrade carefully, as don't want to loose my right to transfer to a new PC. I recently saw this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ows-10-after-a

Previously, everyone assumed if you had a retail win 7, you'd get a retail win 10 as the upgrade. It seems perhaps not. All you get is is the ability to install your old retail win 7 on a new computer and then upgrade that to win 10. Thus, when the free upgrade period has disappeared, your win 10 is stuck on the last PC you upgraded. So, in effect it is OEM, with 1 year to make your choice of which computer you want it on.

Does this mean that the RETAIL Win 10 USB drives (released tomorrow) are the same as this?

I suspect so, as Microsoft hates the transfer of Windows, and seems to be pressing hard the message "For the life of the device". It seems they want every version of Win10 to die on the device it is installed on......

If anyone gets a retail copy of Win10 tomorrow, could you confirm?

Cheers!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Highly suspicious of retail Windows 10 licence

Quote Originally Posted by maverick77_uk View Post
    Hi all,

Having Windows 7 RETAIL, I have been watching the free upgrade carefully, as don't want to loose my right to transfer to a new PC. I recently saw this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ows-10-after-a

Previously, everyone assumed if you had a retail win 7, you'd get a retail win 10 as the upgrade. It seems perhaps not. All you get is is the ability to install your old retail win 7 on a new computer and then upgrade that to win 10. Thus, when the free upgrade period has disappeared, your win 10 is stuck on the last PC you upgraded. So, in effect it is OEM, with 1 year to make your choice of which computer you want it on.

Does this mean that the RETAIL Win 10 USB drives (released tomorrow) are the same as this?

I suspect so, as Microsoft hates the transfer of Windows, and seems to be pressing hard the message "For the life of the device". It seems they want every version of Win10 to die on the device it is installed on......

If anyone gets a retail copy of Win10 tomorrow, could you confirm?

Cheers!
    The Windows 10 they are selling in boxes or usb keys or whatever medium is completely different, they come with an actual unique key, nothing has changed in this regard. They are fully transferable and can be used on any machine as long as it is only being used on one machine etc.

"For the life of the device" refers to machines that are sold with Windows 10 Key built into the BIOS that shows up in the MSDM table of ACPI, this has been this way since Windows 8 and you cannot transfer these keys to other machines.

Registered+
    Thanks

it is possible in windows 8 to pull a licence key off of your machine using magical jellybean, then use that key to activate windows on another machine. have not tried this with win10

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjgr33n View Post
    The Windows 10 they are selling in boxes or usb keys or whatever medium is completely different, they come with an actual unique key, nothing has changed in this regard. They are fully transferable and can be used on any machine as long as it is only being used on one machine etc.

"For the life of the device" refers to machines that are sold with Windows 10 Key built into the BIOS that shows up in the MSDM table of ACPI, this has been this way since Windows 8 and you cannot transfer these keys to other machines.
    That's a relief as there's lots of confusion about this on other forums.

Registered+
    Thanks

hmm I havnt upgraded to win 10 yet either due to this concern

Thread Information