Thread: I can't repair corrupt .Docx files, are they recoverable at all?

Thanks

I can't repair corrupt .Docx files, are they recoverable at all?

Hi, I've been trying to recover these files for days and I have gotten absolutely nowhere.
    First of all, these are files from late last year and earlier this year my Macbook Pro crashed. I was able to recover most of the documents with Stellar Phoenix however some of them seem too corrupt to repair.
    The main problem: When I try to open these .DOCX files on Win 7 in word, text edit or open office all I get is a bunch of symbols eg. "]≥D @]≥< @]≥4 @]≥, @]≥$ @]≥ @]≥ @]≥"
    Before it opens in Microsoft Word (2011) the 'Convert File' window pops up and I proceed to the option 'recover text from any file'.
    The document then opens in compatibility mode and with a compatibility check it displays the following errors:
    "1. Word 6.0/95 compatibility options are set
    2. This document displays unicode characters that might not display correctly in earlier versions of office."
    When I change the compatibility preferences there is no difference to the text and the second, unicode error persists.
    From here when I try to 'Save as' it automatically tries to save it as a '.Doc' file, not '.Docx'.
    I have tried a few different things such as putting the files on to a Windows computer, zipping and unzipping to view the . XML content which didn't work but I am an amateur Windows user so I could have gone wrong. I have tried converting it to an RTF, no luck. And I have tried downloading an XML editor but it is beyond me.
    Any suggestions? How do you know if the file is too corrupt?
    Any help would be really appreciated!

I don't know hot to attach file in this post.(

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I can't repair corrupt .Docx files, are they recoverable at all?

Doc files are quite complex, and have an internal structure similar to a directory, with sub directories containing the data and metadata.

If you examine the file with a hex editor, you might be able to recover the text portion of the file. If you have access to a Linux machine, BLESS is a suitable Hex editor. For Windows machines, there is WinHex (there is a free evaluation version IIRC) so that should enable you to see if there is anything recoverable.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • smargh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Xeon E5450 with 775-to-771 Mod
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M G2 80GB/Adaptec 3405 4x 2TB Ultrastar RAID1 / 1x 6TB Hitachi He6 / Dying 2TB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 750 Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-560
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-A71
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2400WD
      • Internet:
      • Really Crap ADSL2 <3Mbit

They might be Cryptolocker'd ?

docx/xlsx etc files are compressed XML. If you open the file in a hex editor, the first letters should be "PK"

If the file is filled with what seem to be random characters, then it might well be encrypted with something like Cryptolocker/Cryptowall. If there seems to be some non-random parts the file, which would point to some kind of structure, then it's more likely a corrupt file.

The least-worst scenario could potentially be simply recovering the plain text portions from the XML.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by smargh View Post
    docx/xlsx etc files are compressed XML. If you open the file in a hex editor, the first letters should be "PK"
    Because its more than just "compressed XML" its a Zip file.

Try changing the extension from .docx to .zip and seeing if 7-Zip or something can open or extract anything from it.

Of course, if as suggested, its been encrypted some how, or really is corrupt, that probably wont do much.

Thread Information