Thread: Windows 7 Pro UEFI Install Secure Boot Violation Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + HGST 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Windows 7 Pro UEFI Install Secure Boot Violation Asus Maximus VII Ranger

I have been using Windows 7 UEFI for approx. 5 months without an issue (my orig thread). I had not applied any updates to OS other than what Agent's patching scripts did to the Win7 SP1 USB UEFI install I made.

On the 6th of April I decided to reinstall Windows as I'd been meddling around with "things" on my rig, I just wanted a fresh install. On the 7th of April I decided to hide some of the nagware updates and apply the others, as I did batch installs of 15 updates or so I rebooted after each set of updates.

All went well until I only had approx. 5 "Important" updates and 10 "Optional" (IIRC), after doing those and rebooting I was greeted with:-

I then disabled secure boot to get back into windows, I restored the computer to an earlier point prior to the last set of updates I applied and still I'd get the same screen on post with secure boot enabled. So next I went back a complete day, ie no updates but original state after installing OS and drivers, again same screen with secure boot on.

Now as I have done no firmware updates the message can't be due to that IMO. As OS only has drivers that originally showed no violation it can't be that. Currently I think Windows update has done something and when I do restore to an earlier point that change is not being reverted.

Only way "Secure Boot" will now function is if I change "Windows UEFI Mode" to "Other OS" or disable secure boot.

It seems I'm not alone with this issue, another Asus owner but Z170, orig link translated link. Another search revealed this video on YT (published 21/03/16), some of the comments also highlight they got issue with secure boot os type after windows update.

When I select "Other OS" note "Platform Key (PK) State" shows "Unloaded", when I select "Key Management" all keys are loaded.

I'm now thinking when I select "Other OS" technically Secure Boot is not functioning, the "Platform Key (PK) State" will only show "Loaded" on UEFI Screenshot 1 if "Windows UEFI Mode" is selected; which results in secure boot violation.

So how do I go about checking what is causing the secure boot violation? are the PK keys no longer valid for whatever update has occurred to OS?

I don't mind wiping install but do mind taking the time to reinstall updates 1 by 1 to see which creates the issue (if it is that).
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Re: Windows 7 Pro UEFI Install Secure Boot Violation Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Um, Windows 7 does not support SecureBoot, and it should be turned off.

Thanks

Well the obvious answer is to not bother with secure boot.

But if you want it working, I guess it's possible windows update has changed something in the boot chain. I recall something similar happening with my Linx tablet when I was playing around with it. To fix it I think I had to re-load the PK to default - have you tried that?

Edit: Just realised you're talking about Win7 (brain fart), which as BobF64 doesn't support secure boot IIRC?

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Guys for months on original install of Windows 7 Pro UEFI I had secure boot with os type as "Windows UEFI Mode" and "Platform Key (PK) State" as "Loaded". OS only ever had Agent's updates applied to it and none newer.

Then fresh install of Windows 7 Pro SP1 (with only Agent's updates applied to ISO) worked as well, settings as in first sentence of this post. Only until I applied newer updates, it showed image at system post in post 1. About the last 10 or so updates remaining in list, prior ones there was no such message (inc. reboots), now uninstalling those does not help .

I have deleted keys within UEFI and reloaded default (stored in UEFI) plus stored ones on USB, secure boot with os type as "Windows UEFI Mode" does not work. Only selecting "Other OS" (where keys are unloaded) works or full disable of secure boot.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)

Thanks

I'm experiencing the exact same issue - on an ASUS Maximus Hero VII mobo - after the last set of MS updates (just did a fatal re-boot today). I bet MS solution involves "upgrading" to Windows 10. Very fryustrated as it's my main PC and is now bricked - hope disabling secure boot will fix the issue.

Just like gupsterg, my system had been running very stable for months with no changes to the BIOS.

Hope someone can find a solution - tech is so damn frustrating to me (and I've been in the field for a long time).

-Cheers.

Thanks

Maybe try contacting Asus support? As far as I know (though I couldn't stand and argue by any means, maybe there are bodges I'm not aware of) Win7 has never supported Secure Boot, so maybe something like a BIOS bug has allowed it to just appear as though it was functioning?

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Two things comes to mind, have you only ever used Windows 7 on the hard drive?
    And did you let the Windows install partition the drive on the first install or did you do it yourself?

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

@EHill

Besides by solution posted in OP, the reason for why this occurred after recent MS updates is on ROG forum where I also started same thread , link to post.

@BobF64

I partitioned SSD manually via command line whilst installing Win 7 Pro, OP has a link to thread where there is information on how I installed UEFI Win 7 Pro few months back .

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

So, therefore the answer is as previously stated, Windows 7 does not support Secure Boot and it should be turned off.

Why it worked before the update sounds like an unintended effect caused by ASUS configuring the BIOS with something they probably shouldn't have.

Thanks
    • gupsterg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master V850
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Yes, indeed UEFI of Asus was at fault.

Yes, Win 7 does not support secure boot.

At the time when I installed Win 7 UEFI as having secure boot enabled wasn't causing an issue (even though research showed not supported feature by OS) I used it.

KB3133977 heading "Known issues in this update" was updated to have correct info, "Last Review: 05/02/2016 16:22:00 - Revision: 5.0".

Thread Information