Thread: Are There Any Decent Free CMS Systems?

Thanks

Are There Any Decent Free CMS Systems?

Me and headbrace are redoing the school website, along with various others attatched to it, and our life would be a lot easier if there existed a fast, well coded and documented content management system. It also has to be free and editable freely.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks
    As much as i dislike it - PHP nuke ?

How much of a CMS are you looking for ?
    Just the ability to post news, or polls ect.. aswell ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    Ok. There are free ones, yes, but they all kind of suck to a certain extent.

I started a company with some colleagues a couple of years back. We designed and built a CMS based on experiences we had had in the industry for a few years. We are doing pretty well, and it is selling quite nicely. When we started out we had a look at the free systems out there, and we had professional experience of the absurdly expensive ones out there (in particular Interwoven Teamsite and Vignette StoryServer). Basically we came to the conclusion that they all sucked.

The problem is that CM is different things to different people. You might find it hard to believe, but Interwoven Teamsite, the market leader, that will cost you AT LEAST 50k, has NO real-time components at all. All it is is a glorified versioning system. It will not help you build the actual dynamic front end to a site at all. A lot of companies spend big money on it. Why? Cos CM is different things to differnt people.

We did an Open Source package selection for a client recently, and narrowed the field down to OpenCMS, Bricolage and InfoGlue. All of them have their faults, but they are all fairly capable.

It really all depends on what your requirements are. What are your requirements?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    e107 is nice... minimal and not as tacky as nuke

Thread Information