Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best practices for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a 1TB SSD?

Thanks
    • cheekster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 Quad Core 3.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830 (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 x 2 + 3TB WD Cavier Green x2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB ScanFX radeon HD7750 GDDR5 800MHz
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Dark Power Pro Modular 650w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407FPW
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

Re: Best practices for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a 1TB SSD?

Something isn't quite right here...

After installation and the desktop was displayed, there was no sign of the recycle bin icon or a mouse pointer. Waited and waited and waited some more and still neither appeared. Tapped Windows key on keyboard and nothing happened. Waited and waited then pressed Ctl + Alt + Del together which resulted in a black screen. Waited and waited but nothing else happened so I shutdown the computer by holding the power button down for 5 seconds.

Rebooted and after the motherboard splash screen appeared, followed by the rotating dots, I was left with just a black screen.

Currently attempting a second try after deleting drive partitions and formatting the hard drive.

This clean installation of Windows 10 Pro has not gone as expected/planned!

Dell Studio 15: Windows Vista Premium/4GB RAM/320GB HDD/Blu-Ray
    Samsung UE46F8000 & Dell 2407FPW

Thanks
    • cheekster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3 1230 v2 Quad Core 3.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830 (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 x 2 + 3TB WD Cavier Green x2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB ScanFX radeon HD7750 GDDR5 800MHz
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Dark Power Pro Modular 650w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407FPW
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

Well I think I got to the bottom of why I couldn't see either the recycle bin or the mouse cursor...

Windows detected my second display (LED TV) and instead of mirroring the same display across both devices it automatically selected 'extended display' and seen as I did not have the TV switched on, I didn't realise that.

Second installation therefore probably wasn't necessary but why the display on my monitor turned black/blank, I have no idea.

One thing I'm confused about is during the second installation, I clicked on 'skip this step and activate later' rather than input my retail licence key from Windows 8 Pro. After installation, I've checked and it states it's activated despite not asking me to input a licence key. I didn't even log in with a Microsoft account. So my question is how has it activated a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro without a licence key? I installed from a DVDr containing an .iso downloaded from Microsoft's website. Did intend to install from a USB 3.0 flash drive that I created but when looking through the boot options in my BIOS, could not see any option other than from DVD drive or hard drive which I thought was strange. Could that be because it's a relatively old motherboard?

Edit: After a bit of reading, I dicovered that whilst it may state 'activated' because no licence key was input you are on a 30-day trial during which time you will be repeatedly prompted to input a key. Also for one to see an option of booting from a USB flash drive in the BIOS, you have to first insert it into a USB port then reboot and enter the BIOS.

Hindsight...a wonderful thing, lol!
    Last edited by cheekster; 12-08-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Dell Studio 15: Windows Vista Premium/4GB RAM/320GB HDD/Blu-Ray
    Samsung UE46F8000 & Dell 2407FPW

Registered+
    Thanks

I had to same problem as you before with 2 monitors plugged in. And just as you did i reinstalled windows a number of times before realising this. From now on I'd advise always doing a new install of Windows with a keyboard, mouse and 1 monitor plugged in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information