Thread: Email Recommendations

Thanks

Email Recommendations

Hi peeps

Just doing a clean install of my parents computer and need an email client.

What I'm after is something that works kind of like MSN explorer used to, with the seperate log ins(mum,dad,sis) so they can see their hotmail/msn addys. The version of MSN I have now states you have to have a MSN internet account to use it I believe.

They aren't too clever with computers, so even accessing hotmail via IE may prove tricky for them you see!
    ------
    I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear.

Gigabyte DS4, e6300@3.01GHz,Corsair 520w Modular PSU,2gb Geil PC5300 DDRII,Xpertvision x1950pro 512mb,Daewoo L2299DM 22" TFT

Thanks
    Yes - you have to have an MSN (passport) account to use messanger. But that account doesn't have to be with hotmail.

Are you saying you need to give your parents a new email address? Like hotmail yahho etc, and you need help choosing? If so, I'd say go for hotmail. It's more intergrated with outlook express IMO, and can easily be used with MSN messenger.

LWA
    Thanks
    I vote gmail - best email client I have used in a long time. And with 1000Mb of storage you can't go wrong.

Thanks
    Gmail is great for email (I have a few invites if anyone needs one first come first serve PM me), but not what I think he is looking for. Maybe try Yahoo messenger. Each login ID has its own "loginID@yahoo.com" email address I believe. Although my info could be dated. Its VERY user friendly, and passwords and settings can be stored for easy use. Not to mention it can be set to start automatically when you boot windows.

Check yahoo for more info.

Thanks
    Raggy has the right idea!!

I actually am after a bit of software that they log into to retrieve their email, not a web based email site.

If possible they would prefer to keep their outstanding hotmail/msn accounts.
    ------
    I hate to say this, but this place is getting to me. I think I'm getting the fear.

Gigabyte DS4, e6300@3.01GHz,Corsair 520w Modular PSU,2gb Geil PC5300 DDRII,Xpertvision x1950pro 512mb,Daewoo L2299DM 22" TFT

Thanks
    I'm not sure but look into both companies email options because it's quiet possible to get and "email alert" sent to one email account, or you may not even need all that hassle and they may offer automated mail forwarding. I’m not sure it's been a while since I used either email service. Try google though for a wealth of other possible options I'm sure they're out there most likely in the form of freeware/shareware programs that'll tie in with an internet browser like IE or Firefox. Although every email alert program I've used has generally been for only one account. Good luck!

Large Member
    Thanks
    Why not create seperate user accounts and set up their simple mail in OE?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    u can just use msn explorer, u just need a .NET passpot, which u hav if u hav msn or hotmail etc
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nvening
    u can just use msn explorer, u just need a .NET passpot, which u hav if u hav msn or hotmail etc
    It is a subscription service now.

http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-gb&...market%3den-gb
    ------

Large Member
    Thanks
    Try Thunderbird, if not, use identities in outlook express.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Well for "a bit of software that they log into to retrieve their email", I still think hotmail's the best (although I haven't tried Gmail). You can set it up, so that outlook express recieves their email. That will then give them direct access to all folders - sent, inbox and even junk mail. Also, incase they do ever need to log in via a browser, outlook express uploads everything that it has in it sent folder into the browsers' folder too, and vice versa. This is the same for all folders in hotmail.

You talked a lot about "MSN" in your first post. If I'm right in saying your meaning MSN messenger, then hotmail will be perfect for that. When you get a new email when you're logged into MSN messenger, a message pops up saying so and who it's from.

Thread Information