• Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Angry Windows 10 anniversary update woes

well at the end of September I decided that it would be fun to try the Windows 10 anniversary update from within Windows Update on my previous Win10 system. It was out a couple of weeks and I needed to try it sometime.

Bad mistake. Firstly, (and I will admit this is a system that was updated from Windows 8.0) I had to resize the boot (?) partition from 256mb to around 500mb for the update to even try. There are instructions all over the internet for this, and a lot of people have come across it, so I didn't think this would pose an update problem. Hell was I wrong, the windows update failed and gave me an obscure error code (which I did google, no help there) and so I thought it had rolled back nicely and I would still have a working system.

Nope, one reboot later and windows is only going into recovery mode. Annoyed, I tried every recovery option (from the least to most destructive) and NOTHING worked. I had no chance of getting my Win10 system back and running, as far as I could tell. This was extremely annoying as after all I had only run Windows Update on the damn thing. Everything was borked very nicely.

So, after a day or two of leaving it along thinking are there any options for me, I tried a live CD to get my data back. Ubuntu? Nope, reboot during loading (probably a Z170 thing). Some other recovery Linux live cd? Nope, no mouse and no Ethernet. Knoppix? YES, huge boot time but everything worked and my data was accessible. Once I realised it wasn't frozen during loading, that is

So I backed up what I thought was important to a USB key, and kept using Knoppix for 3-4 weeks for YouTube, reading webpages, etc. I was trying to backup the whole (dead Win10) SSD to a HDD at this time, but couldn't get it connected in my case, no idea why still now. So I went with the USB backup, bit the bullet, removed all partitions on the SSD, and installed a fresh ISO (via DVD!) of Win10 Anniversary Update on the now blank SSD.

Thankfully everything seems to be working (if sparse) now and I'm back up and running. Knoppix wasn't bad! Only thing I had to do was leave it on (the boot time was outrageous) and not have 144hz refresh during that time. Also some videos had tearing from the screen refresh, but no big deal. Probably spent £5-10 on leccy during that period, if not more. No biggie.

So, in closing, if you loose windows, try Knoppix. If you haven't tried Anniversary Update yet of Windows 10 (and my laptop still has not), backup first. And if you need to resize any partition to see Win10 update properly, realise it may just NOT WORK AT ALL.

Rant over Glad to be back!
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Windows 10 anniversary update woes

Or,

Just use a hard drive installation of Knoppix (or other Linux distribution of your choice) and close windows for ever!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information