Quick outline of the scenario:

A Linux based central file store running Samba to provide network shares to several Windows based PCS.

PC 1 ( supplied prebuilt with OEM version of Windows 10 and a user purchased (from the MS store) version of Office 2016 with Outlook. Outlook connects to a remote exchange server. The user maintains a large .pst file held on the server so it is backed up and is available to:

PC 2 running windows 7, office 2013 with Outlook connecting to the same exchange server with the same user login and accessing the same .pst file (obviously not simultaneously) so the user can work at either PC and gets the same data.

A year on the PC running Windows 7 starts getting flaky so a second machine is purchased from the same supplier with OEM Windows 10 and pre-installed Office 2016.

1st issue

Setting up windows (ignoring that whiny nasally twangy Cortana voice) and the machine eventually gets up and running. Go to change the hostname - machine freezes. Reboot, get an error message suggesting I need to re-install.

Re-install - same thing happens. This has taken 3 or four hours.

Give up, and call the supplier's tech support line (its a well known 4 letter supplier)

Turns out there is an issue with one of their security apps that I installed first time round (but not the second - but there was something left on the disc) so a full disk reformat later and another reinstall of windows and after some 8 hours - a working PC.

Second issue.

Activate Office - only needed doing twice, but connects to the exchange server.

Open the .pst file on the server and get "Cannot create data file under AppData folder. Please choose another location".

A bit of a wtf moment - I'm not trying to create a file - but open an existing on. I try creating a new .pst on the network with success, but if its closed, it can't be re-opened - same error message.

Copying the file to the local machine - opens fine. Try creating shortcuts, links - no joy. Check windows build on both machines - same version, same build. But I can't find the Office installed files in either Prgrams or Programs(x86). Odd - another wtf moment.

Call machine supplier tech support. They spend 2 hours with me doing the same things I had done.

They call MS. I now have two people remotely controlling the machine. They spend 2 hours doing the same things that I and the supplier's tech support had done. No solution. MS tech support disconnect and say they will escalate the issue.

However during that process they had checked the Office 2016 build. Same version, same build, on both.

But - one was installed as an application, the other was installed as click and connect.

Supplier's tech support then remotely reinstalled Office as an application and suddenly I could open the remote .pst file. Happiness all round.

So 14 hours to set up Windows 10 and Office 16.

The user is beginning to think Apple next time he wants a new PC (which would actually make sense as he uses an iphone and ipad and has other Apple TVs getting a Plex feed from the central server)