• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Am I right in thinking....

......that the Type of SCSI controller used for a Deep Level Format and then an Install of XP EFFECTS whether another SCSI controller can read the disk?

Rather than bother Saint Jiff Lemon (who I thank a million fold for his kind offers) I like to work through stuff myself .....but then I gotta check back with you guys

I had a 40mb /sec controller....Iwill branded, and not Adpatec chipset.....I had 2 HDD on it.....XP and second with all my games....and music, etc...it keeps XP fresh and tidy for longer, and SCSI deals with it fast.

But got me a NEW 160 Adaptec controller......first I reset all my HDD to accept U160 (some werejumpered wrong) until the new controller saw them all as 160 (and obviously the CD burner as a 20 mb/sec )

I then used the SCSI CONTROLLER to do a Deep Level Format on the fastest drive.....cos its theone I want XP on......2 1/2 hours alter, sorted...

then I boot with the XP CD in.....I need driver that are not in XP for this controller (web site told me how, they are on floppy) hit F6 to add new drivers on the request.....wait.....for ages....and ages.....for the controller to read the three diska and give me a chance to choose the disk for the XP install to go on.....and I wait..and I wait....

so eventually I try unplugging the HDD one at a time, and BINGO the one that has all my data on it from my last install is the holding factor...unplugged, XP install boots straight up......

whack in new driver floppy, choose , accepted......what HDD to install on , choose, Format with NTSC, .....in goes XP.....

and its FAST

I LOVE NEW INSTALLS

Then.....plug the other HDD back in one at a time, deep level format my third one first (nothing important on it) and its in and done and sorted.....shows in XP etc...

Plug in the one from my OLD install (still NTSC remember, but installed and foprmated with different controller)

XP wont boot.......

So.....WHY..is it the way the files are put onto the HDD for the table of contents, or whatever its called....

It never had XP installed on it....just loads of games (all no doubt with registry links to the other disk which had XP on, but that shouldn't count)

Am I on the right track.......does the controller effect the file system?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    well thats 10 "views" and not a reply.....

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Heh, the thread title doesnt brace you for the "Type of SCSI controller used for a Deep Level Forma" next line

Thanks
    Hmm, disregarding all the SCSI stuff, XP did the same thing to me with IDE drives.

Working ME hard disk put into slave position.
    New clean HD: in master position and XP installed on it. XP picks up ME HD: and I transfer files [used to do this lots with friends comps when everyone was running 9x - no problems]

Remove the XP HD: and put ME drive back to master = ME wont boot. Even after trying boot floppies, fdisk to confirm its set as a bootable partition etc.

Perhaps someone more used to dual booting XP and 9X can shed some light on this? I have to say I only dual boot linux and windows because of the above.

Edit: didnt make it clear that the ME hard drive wasnt in place when XP installed onto the other drive.
    Last edited by Trickle; 20-09-2003 at 05:42 PM.

Thread Information