Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats your UD performance score?

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    132 os a pretty p*ss-poor score for an Opteron 150 running @ FX55 speeds. How do I upp the amount of storage it uses?
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    You have to log in and change it from there, open UD and click on the web link called something like see my scores and awards, from there once logged in navigate to the tab with all the settings in it. I have set the space to 5 gigs, and it has never gone above 20MB.

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    132 os a pretty p*ss-poor score for an Opteron 150 running @ FX55 speeds. How do I upp the amount of storage it uses?
    Hmmm, That doesn't seem right... I haven't even up'd the storage on my main rig!

I wouldn't worry too much about that though, the performance rating seems a bit silly how it works....

Ant

Thanks
    How does it work?

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy!!!
    How does it work?
    Not sure to be honest! I just think its odd how having an "Intel" network card, or 2 gb or more of storage allocated, instead of 1, makes your machine appear "more" powerful!

For example, my Realtek and Nvidia network controllers score less than half of what their "Intel" comparrison does! How does that affect how my computer crunches?

Ant

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antsss
    Not sure to be honest! I just think its odd how having an "Intel" network card, or 2 gb or more of storage allocated, instead of 1, makes your machine appear "more" powerful!
    For example, my Realtek and Nvidia network controllers score less than half of what their "Intel" comparrison does! How does that affect how my computer crunches?
    Yup, I was wondering the same.. My score is 179, btw.

Also, I'm network manager for a school with over 75 boxes spec'd at P4 2.6GHz and up. I was thinking it would be easy enough to create an MSI package for the UD service... So I might ask our director of administration if I can roll it out during our summer break. The machines get left on during that time for updates/convenience anyway, and no-one uses them, so all those CPU's might as well be doing something for the UD/Hexus Team cause..

Mmmm... 75 CPU's, 24 hours a day, for 7 weeks.. I smell points, people..

S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 10-04-2005 at 06:44 PM.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    lol, it put's me on a parr with a P4 1.5
    Even reprts the speed wrong @ 2.6 not the 2.8 it's currently running at
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    My P4 3ghz has a rating of 203. It starts at 100 but after it finished the first WU it went up to 203. It goes down if I am doing something cpu intensive but soon goes up again.

Perhaps it is only at 100 because it was designed to work with Intel CPUs. Also Intel CPUs are better at encoding so maybe they are better at UD as well.

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    lol, it put's me on a parr with a P4 1.5
    Even reprts the speed wrong @ 2.6 not the 2.8 it's currently running at
    Ahh, It will go up to its proper rating after you've finished your first unit... I still wouldn't worry though

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    Yup, I was wondering the same.. My score is 179, btw.

Also, I'm network manager for a school with over 75 boxes spec'd at P4 2.6GHz and up. I was thinking it would be easy enough to create an MSI package for the UD service... So I might ask our director of administration if I can roll it out during our summer break. The machines get left on during that time for updates/convenience anyway, and no-one uses them, so all those CPU's might as well be doing something for the UD/Hexus Team cause..

Mmmm... 75 CPU's, 24 hours a day, for 7 weeks.. I smell points, people..

S.
    Thats a good plan! I have thought about doing that at work as well, but I am way too busy at the mo to be faffing with UD there!

If you did create an MSI package, would that register your machine online, with UD, okay?

Ant

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antsss
    If you did create an MSI package, would that register your machine online, with UD, okay?
    I'll get permission to do it first, then I'll look into the practicalities of the rollout. TBH, I slapped the client on my home PC so quickly, I didn't really pay attention to what it did - I'll take a closer look when I get a mo and keep you UTD..

EDIT: Found out that UD themselves will write a custom installer for people wanting to install it on 20 or more PC's, so I'll follow it up and let you know.. Any more pointers? - please feel free to PM me or start a new thread, as I don't wanna hijack this one..

S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 10-04-2005 at 08:21 PM.

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    EDIT: Found out that UD themselves will write a custom installer for people wanting to install it on 20 or more PC's, so I'll follow it up and let you know.. Any more pointers? - please feel free to PM me or start a new thread, as I don't wanna hijack this one..

S.
    Sounds good to me! Is that available from their site? I haven't seen it before. (I must admit, I haven't looked!) Let us know how you get on!

Ant

Thanks
    If UD are still using the same rating system that they did when I last crunched for them about two years ago, then I can explain how it works. To get the CPU score the client runs a quick benchmark after every WU which as far as I can tell is purely floating point code. Basically, you'd get 100 points for every 1GHz of Athlon/Duron power, or 1.5GHz of P4 power. P3s fall somewhere in the middle IIRC. I'm not sure how the K8 processors do, but I'd imagine they're similar to the K7 processors since as I understand it they have an almost identical FPU.

Now, the thing is that the benchmark runs at a higher priority than the actual crunching client. That means that you can run a second or even third client from another DC program (E.G. Folding) and have windows split the cycles 50/50 between them....but you'll still get the same number of points that you would if you were running UD alone, since the other client will step aside while then benchmark runs, as long as it's set at idle priority. I used to run UD 50/50 with Find-A Drug; I wanted to make it into the top 200 of my UD team, but once that was done I got fed up with UD and went over to FAD full time, for reasons I've banged on about in the past.

The other bits of the performance scale cheesed me off something rotten. I don't think all the categories count equally (I'm sure the UD forums have the actual breakdown somewhere), but the CPU score makes up less than 50% of the total even though it's the only score that actually matters. The RAM score made up a fair chunk even though UD would run absolutely fine on my old 128MB machine. The Network score was irrelevant since I could upload and download my WUs in a few seconds even on dialup. The storage section again is irrelevant since I don't think the client even took up 1% of the 5GB I eventually 'allocated' it.

Ant
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    If UD are still using the same rating system that they did when I last crunched for them about two years ago, then I can explain how it works. To get the CPU score the client runs a quick benchmark after every WU which as far as I can tell is purely floating point code. Basically, you'd get 100 points for every 1GHz of Athlon/Duron power, or 1.5GHz of P4 power. P3s fall somewhere in the middle IIRC. I'm not sure how the K8 processors do, but I'd imagine they're similar to the K7 processors since as I understand it they have an almost identical FPU.

Now, the thing is that the benchmark runs at a higher priority than the actual crunching client. That means that you can run a second or even third client from another DC program (E.G. Folding) and have windows split the cycles 50/50 between them....but you'll still get the same number of points that you would if you were running UD alone, since the other client will step aside while then benchmark runs, as long as it's set at idle priority. I used to run UD 50/50 with Find-A Drug; I wanted to make it into the top 200 of my UD team, but once that was done I got fed up with UD and went over to FAD full time, for reasons I've banged on about in the past.

The other bits of the performance scale cheesed me off something rotten. I don't think all the categories count equally (I'm sure the UD forums have the actual breakdown somewhere), but the CPU score makes up less than 50% of the total even though it's the only score that actually matters. The RAM score made up a fair chunk even though UD would run absolutely fine on my old 128MB machine. The Network score was irrelevant since I could upload and download my WUs in a few seconds even on dialup. The storage section again is irrelevant since I don't think the client even took up 1% of the 5GB I eventually 'allocated' it.

Cheers for clearing all that up! I understand a lot more now!

Also explains why the performance rating does vary...

Seems a stupid way of rating the computers 'performance' especially, as you said, the CPU is what counts!

Oh well,

Ant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information