• Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Android Desktop Managers - Recommendations

Hi Guys

I have a OnePlus 6 and OnePlus don't create a corresponding desktop management app so I'm on the lookout for a 3rd party option.

The Windows 10 Your Phone app is ok but very limiting and it takes a full Windows update from Microsoft to progress with any features and I don't always want to update the OS.
    While file access through explorer is ok I can't help thinking that there is more out there.

Since Symbian OS days of Nokia, their desktop manager was second to none and way ahead of its time, I've never used or seen anything as good since.

There's quite a few apps out there and two that stand out so far are MoboGenie & MoboRobo.
    When I looked about 5 years ago, a lot of them had big promises but didn't deliver.

I'd love full control, file access, app management, backups, ability to make/take calls & texts, music sync (though I'm happy with the way WMC works with the phone).

What do you guys use or recommend?

Ideally opensource & free but open to all suggestions if it helps get the job done.

Thanks
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 27-02-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Android Desktop Managers - Recommendations

Forget MoboGenie & MoboRobo looks like they've been discontinued for a while. Just realised the articles I'd come across were written in 2017

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Have you tried MyPhoneExplorer?

If I recall correctly, I've been using that since around 2008.

I'm not sure if it will do things specifically the way you want them to be, as I mostly use it for backing up purposes and writing out lengthy text messages more quickly via my actual keyboard, but I think it should be able to handle a good chunk of what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Output; 27-02-2021 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Slight re-wording.

4. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (27-02-2021)

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    Have you tried MyPhoneExplorer?

If I recall correctly, I've been using that since around 2008.

I'm not sure if it will do things specifically the way you want them to be, as I mostly use it for backing up purposes and writing out lengthy text messages more quickly via my actual keyboard, but I think it should be able to handle a good chunk of what you're looking for.
    Thanks, having a play with it now.
    Not quite Nokia but already doing more than 'Your Phone' and happy to compromise, as it's looking like there's very little out there today. Most of the recent articles are just recycled articles from 5+ years ago mentioning software that hasn't been around for ages, they just put 2021 as click bait.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Thanks, having a play with it now.
    Not quite Nokia but already doing more than 'Your Phone' and happy to compromise, as it's looking like there's very little out there today.
    No problem, it's telling of the dedication and intent of the maker that after all this time it is still going, and still free. It was originally aimed at Sony Ericsson phones if I recall correctly, but when Android came along the ability to interact with those was added into it, which has obviously been a key element in its longevity as Android turned out to be the future.

Most of the recent articles are just recycled articles from 5+ years ago mentioning software that hasn't been around for ages, they just put 2021 as click bait.
    I hate those. The ones that can be just as bad though are those that specifically have NO date listed, yet come up near the top in search results anyway, making it hard to be sure how relevant it actually is, often turning out to be a waste of time as a result.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

No problem, it's telling of the dedication and intent of the maker that after all this time it is still going, and still free. It was originally aimed at Sony Ericsson phones if I recall correctly, but when Android came along the ability to interact with those was added into it, which has obviously been a key element in its longevity as Android turned out to be the future.
    Still appears to be the case, it was one of the install options. It definitely helps to trust it more.

I hate those. The ones that can be just as bad though are those that specifically have NO date listed, yet come up near the top in search results anyway, making it hard to be sure how relevant it actually is, often turning out to be a waste of time as a result.
    It sort of shows Google's true colours these days and comes as no surprise, they're after ($)_($) over quality of search results.

The only niggle I'm having is that while it seems to be able to understand my calendar, during startup it displays a message about upcoming events, however, when I look at the calendar everything is blank. So not sure what's happening there.

And just a couple of minor things I spotted, It doesn't understand more than one SIM or the ability to distinguish between multiple Google accounts, this could actually be related to the Calendar problem.

Other than that I will continue to use it as once you filter through the rubbish it actually appears to be the only thing available. Clearly a low use requirement these days.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

It sort of shows Google's true colours these days and comes as no surprise, they're after ($)_($) over quality of search results.
    Since I mostly use DuckDuckGo these days, it's not just Google it happens to with how it shows up in search results. But I'm guessing you also mean it's down to people trying to game the system to get undeserved ad revenue from their out-of-date articles (as the results likely wouldn't have been clicked on if the date was accurate)?

The only niggle I'm having is that while it seems to be able to understand my calendar, during startup it displays a message about upcoming events, however, when I look at the calendar everything is blank. So not sure what's happening there.
    Have you scrolled down further in that section of window and seen if any are visible? I'm thinking it could be that there are earlier entries that are seemingly invisible because they're marked as past events and thus using a different text colour.

If that is the case, then you should be able to re-arrange that section of the window with the headings if you'd prefer it to show at the top in that section.

And just a couple of minor things I spotted, It doesn't understand more than one SIM or the ability to distinguish between multiple Google accounts, this could actually be related to the Calendar problem.
    I've only ever used it with one SIM and one Google account, so I couldn't say.

It may be worth checking their forum in case in case the solution is already posted there (or to put in a request for help in solving it).

Other than that I will continue to use it as once you filter through the rubbish it actually appears to be the only thing available. Clearly a low use requirement these days.
    Glad I was able to help by pointing it out. As for it appearing to be the only thing available, with how much is cloud-based these days, I imagine there's plenty of people happy for it to be that way - especially if they're someone who uses their smartphone for everything rather than having a PC too - so it results in the demand being lower.

Although that could also apply to the people who use multiple devices but don't want a local copy too. Either way, I think most people probably don't really want to put much effort into it.

Either that or others don't want to bother making any competitors because they'd want financial incentive to do so and don't think that they could get much out of it.

I'd also like to point out the MyLocalAccount app (by the same developer, and recognised by the MyPhoneExplorer Windows executable) if you would prefer to have your contacts stored locally rather than syncing to the cloud.
    Last edited by Output; 28-02-2021 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Additional wording.

9. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (28-02-2021)

Thread Information