Thread: Firefox update nag - temp disable?

Thanks

Firefox update nag - temp disable?

Firefox (for Windows) is currently constantly nagging me to upgrade, but I'm not ready to, yet.

Anyone know of an easy way to get their blasted nag to stop pestering me for a while, preferably without either Registry hacks, or the Enterprise Policy Generator?

Currently on 94.0.1 but, as per my standard methodology, I want to check out 95.0 a bit, before just letting it go ahead and I'm too busy right now. It is driving me potty. Well, pottier.

Yes, I know updating is generally a good idea, and security risks, blah blah, but not right now, Firefox, m'kay?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Firefox update nag - temp disable?

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    Firefox (for Windows) is currently constantly nagging me to upgrade, but I'm not ready to, yet.

Anyone know of an easy way to get their blasted nag to stop pestering me for a while, preferably without either Registry hacks, or the Enterprise Policy Generator?

Currently on 94.0.1 but, as per my standard methodology, I want to check out 95.0 a bit, before just letting it go ahead and I'm too busy right now. It is driving me potty. Well, pottier.

Yes, I know updating is generally a good idea, and security risks, blah blah, but not right now, Firefox, m'kay?
    I'd be interested in this too. Not a fix as such but to stay on 94.0.1 for a while load the ESR version. That will solve it for the time being as it's the latest ESR and will stay that way for a while yet.

Edit: scratch that I'm getting my numbers muddled up it's 91.4ESR so that would be a step backwards. FYI there is 94.0.2 available if you still want to stay on 94 http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

3. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (14-12-2021)

Thanks

I'll probably go the latest version, assuming there's nothing too objectionable in it, but just not yet. Meantime, I've grabbed that one just in case.

Thanks, ik.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

i know it's a rival site but given Hexus' demise hopefully it's ok to link to it: this thread seems to be kept up to date with useful release notes and discussion on the pros/cons of each release.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...874148/page-29

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (14-12-2021)

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 980
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Corsair Dominator GT
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1030
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • 10 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • 70MB using BT line

Was about to suggest 'Tick the option to never check for updates' but clearly it's been removed at some point

If you're happy in the about:config area then:

• Type “about:config” in the address bar, then press “Enter“.
    • Search for the “app.update.auto” setting.
    • Double-click the “app.update.auto” option to toggle the setting.
      If set to “true“, automatic updates are enabled. If set to “false“, automatic updates are disabled.
    While it would be a step back initially, I also recommend ESR/Enterprise/Business versions of browsers.
    You'll eventually catch up to the version you were on and be none the wiser.

The top tier browsers all offer these (Chrome, Edge, Firefox)
    But sadly the lower tiers, Brave etc. don't, of course there maybe exceptions without checking them all.

Thanks

IIRC, the ability to do that in about: was removed at the same time as the tick box, which I think was v65.0 or 68.0 or thereabouts.

I'll give it a try, though. I did look in about: earlier, but in the General section, which is where (again, IIRC) I found it last time.

I think they're trying to make it as awkward as possible so people will auto-update. But that "install now" pop-up, several times a day, is bleeping annoying.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

IIRC, the ability to do that in about: was removed at the same time as the tick box, which I think was v65.0 or 68.0 or thereabouts.

I'll give it a try, though. I did look in about: earlier, but in the General section, which is where (again, IIRC) I found it last time.

I think they're trying to make it as awkward as possible so people will auto-update. But that "install now" pop-up, several times a day, is bleeping annoying.
    Did you do a clean install without the background maintenance service? That seems to stop it auto-downloading updates to try and coerce you to install. You still get a pop up asking "do you want to download?" but much less often provided you leave a browser window open, which as I use a lot of webmail I tend to do most days.

Thanks

Hmm. Must've missed it earlier.

Found app.update.auto.migration, now set to false (was true). Will see what happens.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 980
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1030
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • 10 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • 70MB using BT line

Yes definitely trying to make these things awkward, remember the same hassle with Adobe Flash updates auto installing things.

However mine is here with version 95:

12. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (15-12-2021)

Thanks

My first three entries mirror your first, second and fourth. The specific one you mentioned, app.update.auto, doesn't exist in my config.

It may be that mine s half-way through the process. I don't remembr exactly what the message said, but I got a message that seemed to say "I've downloaded it. Install now?" while I was smack in the middle of something with about a dozen open tabs, and an install/restart was the last thing I needed. It's been nagging since.

That said, since I flipped that switch, no nag, and \firefox still seems unbroken. I hope.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

My first three entries mirror your first, second and fourth. The specific one you mentioned, app.update.auto, doesn't exist in my config.

It may be that mine s half-way through the process. I don't remembr exactly what the message said, but I got a message that seemed to say "I've downloaded it. Install now?" while I was smack in the middle of something with about a dozen open tabs, and an install/restart was the last thing I needed. It's been nagging since.

That said, since I flipped that switch, no nag, and \firefox still seems unbroken. I hope.
    you can nobble that by deleting the saved install file. Give me sec to find the folder.

try here: C:\ProgramData\Mozilla\updates\{string of code letters}\updates\downloading I think that's where it caches it.

You can try just renaming everything after the first \updates\ and that might be enough tbh

Better still back up your bookmarks and settings, uninstall firefox completely, then do a clean custom install, and untick "install background maintenance service", then it no longer downloads the new version without asking you first. You still get the ask, but it's "do you want to download" not the repetitive "nahhh you need to install me. Oi install me now. Now. Why are you ignoring me?" etc etc
    Last edited by ik9000; 14-12-2021 at 11:10 PM.

15. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (15-12-2021)

Thanks

Nag came back.

Deleted two code string folders, after first updates. We'll see if that works.

It's not that I don't want to install. Just not YET. The problem with backing up (do that anyway), uninstalling and doing a clean install is that it's more effort and faffing than just doing the damned update. What moron (yes, Mozilla, you lot) came up with the dunderhead notion of just doing what they want, when they want, never mind that it's someone else's bleeping computer. This is exactly the type of arrogance that so winds me up when MS does it over updates. I'm pretty much now not updating mainly because they are being such a pain in the 'donkey' trying to get me to.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Nag came back.

Deleted two code string folders, after first updates. We'll see if that works.

It's not that I don't want to install. Just not YET. The problem with backing up (do that anyway), uninstalling and doing a clean install is that it's more effort and faffing than just doing the damned update. What moron (yes, Mozilla, you lot) came up with the dunderhead notion of just doing what they want, when they want, never mind that it's someone else's bleeping computer. This is exactly the type of arrogance that so winds me up when MS does it over updates. I'm pretty much now not updating mainly because they are being such a pain in the 'donkey' trying to get me to.
    if the maintenance service is running it will download it again and create another folder. This at least is a good test of whether the config fix has stopped that process I guess.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 980
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 Pro + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1030
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • 10 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • 70MB using BT line

Very weird. The final way to do it would be in the Prefs.js file should you still get it nagging after your latest attempt.
    C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\RANDOMCHARS.default

Obviously I don't want to take you down a rabbit hole if you don't want to modify anything. You could at least search for the missing config entry out of curiosity. (app.update.auto)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    .... You could at least search for the missing config entry out of curiosity. (app.update.auto)
    Will take a look at Prefs.js tomorrow, when I'm properly awake.

I did search for app.update.auto before my last post. What I got was what I saw comparing to your screenshot.

If I search on app.update. I get a fairly lengthy list, which is where the comparison I mentioned came from. As soon as I add the "a" (no quotes, obviously) from "auto", everything except app.update.auto.migrated disappears (that being the one I changed value of to try), and app.update.a appears, but with a + on the far right, and the option to select variable type (boolean, number or string).

I don't normally mess much with about:config beyond the very basics, but from experience in other environments, I take that to mean that no such variable exists, and it's offering to create one (hence the + sign) and wants to know what var type I want. If I add anything beyond that initial "a" after update, like "auto" it is still offering to create one.

I take all that to mean it hasn't got that variable.

I suppose I could create one, set it to boolean and then set the value to false. It strikes me one of three things could happen :-

- it works, because the coders were lazy and removed the variable and defaulted action to true, but left the code in place. If so ... sloppy,

- it doesn't work, because they removed the variable and the code that looked at it, or

- it does something unpleasant, because they removed the variable and altered the code to trigger a boobytrap if some smartar .... erm, smartalec like me, with help from you to find it, adds it back in. If so, nasty sense of humour.

Thread Information