• Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Multibrowser Bookmark Managers

Bookmarking in current browsers is something that has not evolved in a very long time and I've never adjusted to the way it's been implement in either Mozilla or Chromium. It feels like a forgotten feature. In fact I don't think Firefox changed what was in Netscape.
    I liked the IE method and religiously used Favourites way back in IE 6-8 days, about the only thing I preferred in IE. That has its limitations today, but the fact you could manage it outside of the browser was a huge plus.

Having found it tedious in modern browsers I stopped bookmarking almost entirely but repeatedly find myself wishing I'd saved this and that website over the years. I've now adopted the bad habit of leaving millions of tabs open with the theory I will come back to them one day.

Finally I've had enough and want to explore alternatives, one feature I could really do with is multibrowser support. As believe it or not, I now use 4 different browsers, (Brave, Firefox, Ghostery and Edge (chromium)).

I wondered if any of you have any recommendations.

So far I've spotted two potentials.
    Firstly Raindrop, https://raindrop.io/
    Straight away looks quite powerful and meets the need of multibrowser support but possibly a bit too graphical at first glance.
    However, you have to pay for subfolders, reading some reviews people say they use the tag feature, thats all well and good but I'm unlikely to fill these in and will inevitably forget the name in future.

The second is Papaly, https://papaly.com/
    The way they present themselves on the website leads me to believe there is going to be some payment involved as you're greeted with "Sign up instantly" but scrolling down to see the features it does look quite good.

One thing that's niggling in the back of my mind about modernising is these services tend to come and go.
    I don't want to invest my time and effort into an ecosystem that I can't then transfer to something else should they decide to pull the plug.

Thanks

Re: Multibrowser Bookmark Managers

Interesting question. I could do with a really good solution for this too.

I would have another criteria, though .... for me, it must be locally implemented.

There are three reasons

1) You already said it, AGT - services come and go and it'd be a pain if it went after investing loads of time setting it up.

2) Along similar lines - things start out 'free' but there's a growing trend, once a userbase is established for the 'free' version to suddenly become limited and half the features I use suddenly turn into 'premium' requiring a monthly subscription.

3) Prevent data-mining. A list of things that "interest you" is very valuable to marketeers. And yeah, this is a pet peeve of mine and might not bother you at all. Fair enough, if so.

For the record, in relation to 'free' versus 'premium', I'm quite happy to pay for a paid solution. After all, rarely (if ever) does something worth having come free, at least in computing. It costs to make and usually, sooner or later and in one form or another, the bill comes due. So paying up front for software .... fine. No problem. Getting ambushed by a subscription once committed .... not fine. Been there, done that, still immensely hacked off about it.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

3. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (11-01-2022)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

back in the day you could save whole pages as .mht for offline archive purposes. That with the "print selection" feature were two of the best bits of internet explorer that are missing in other browsers, incuding edge SFAIK. It annoys me you can't do that now. You can take screenshots of the site but hardly the same IMO. Ditto the annoyance of no "offline mode" relying on the cache files eg for when you know something is in the cache but the train is going through a tunnel etc.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

This is the kind of thing I was thinking about, it's simple no thrills and extends on what's already available.
    So you wouldn't lose any data here if the Extension stopped working as the bookmarks will still be in the browser.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ipcpkeembagldp

Sadly not multi browser, but if that's a feature you don't need this extension could be a winner for Chromium based browsers.
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 12-01-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Thread Information