Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So, who's planing on upgrading to / skipping Win11 and why?

Registered+
    Thanks

So, who's planing on upgrading to / skipping Win11 and why?

I've never realy loved a windows version since 7, and I have to admit that I was surprised by the anouncement of Win11, but from what I've seen, I'm not convinced. The more I look at it, the more I'm likely to stick to my (currently modded wo within an inch of its life) Win10 setups on my laptop and desktop, I just don't see any must have feature in Win11 that makes me want to jump over. And now I'm wondering, am I just getting old, or is microsoft who's becoming misguided, which is why I'm asking my fellow tech-heads what's their thoughts on and plans for Win11?

Thanks

Re: So, who's planing on upgrading to / skipping Win11 and why?

I'm skipping.

Why?

a) most of my machines aren't even 'compatible'
    b) even if they were, I'm not seeing any convincing reason why I need to upgrade, and
    c) there are several things, not least the taskbar being locked to the screen bottom, that I really don't like.

So for me, reasons to skip > reasons to upgrade. For other people? YMMV.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

3. Received thanks from:

Jay-Bruce (10-10-2021)

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

I will skip it on my desktop machine, because, at over 10 years old, its not compatible, and i have no intention of buying a new one just for Windows 11.

Laptop, that i sometimes use when away from home, maybe, dunno, cant remember if its compatible or not tbh.

5. Received thanks from:

Jay-Bruce (10-10-2021)

Thanks
    • Richh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 8700K delid, H115i Platinum
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator GT 3200
      • Storage:
      • Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 FTW+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX860i
      • Case:
      • Custom open frame
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro x64 / occasionally Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • ROG Swift PG279Q, Sony 48A9

Well, I popped on here today to see what the general reception to 11 was like - and also to see if there was anything I'm missing.

Have been busy as hell the last few months, so no time to look at an Insider build, and finally got the release installed on a spare hard disk a couple of days ago.

First pleasant surprise is that it installs and runs perfectly on my old (Z170) Maximus VIII Hero/8700K box without any jailbreaks or compatibility overrides. But...

As things stand at least, it's not replacing my main W10 build. The dealbreakers for me are the utterly useless and counterproductive new Start Menu, Taskbar and Explorer behaviour. And, in addition, it feels sluggish compared with 10 -although at this stage I have no idea how much of that is down to running it on a spare (albeit fast) rotating hard disk rather than an SSD. The Settings is.. well, the whole thing is a real mishmash of 'modern' style - but with the classic Control Panel applets still popping out here and there, looking totally incongruous.

Have been able to get OpenShell running - but there are incongruities - like Classic Start Menu launching from the Windows key, but not from clicking the Start button.

Whole thing has the feel of an incompletely and inadequately tested Service Pack rather than a 'new' OS, and reminds me of the mistakes made with Windows 8 - quite a few of which seem to be repeating now.

Will have another go at getting the UI components running the way I want them without glitches, but as things stand, distinctly unimpressed.
    Last edited by Richh; 10-10-2021 at 07:01 AM.
    BH6, BX6 2.0, BE6, BE6-II 2.0, ST6-RAID, BE6-II 2.0 (again), BD7-RAID, BD7II-RAID, IC7-G, IC7 Max3, AB9 QuadGT, IX38 QuadGT. IX58... Oh, b*ll*cks. RIP Abit

7. Received thanks from:

Jay-Bruce (10-10-2021)

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Not changing over for a while. I game a lot and have an AMD chip and there are problems with both. I'm not having any problems with 10 at the moment so I can wait a while yet.
    JABULANI NONKE

Thanks

Upgraded my Vivobook, no problems with the upgrade, the start menu thing is a bit naff but other than that were no issues. Was a completely empty laptop with a fresh install of Windows 10 so didn't have anything to lose
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks
    It's interesting to see that this thread's collective response seems to be "not touching it" or "tried it and its naff" - particularly given we are all techies, who ought to be excited about new bleeding edge stuff... Looks like microsoft need to go re-evaluate their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Richh View Post
    Well, I popped on here today to see what the general reception to 11 was like - and also to see if there was anything I'm missing.

Have been busy as hell the last few months, so no time to look at an Insider build, and finally got the release installed on a spare hard disk a couple of days ago.

First pleasant surprise is that it installs and runs perfectly on my old (Z170) Maximus VIII Hero/8700K box without any jailbreaks or compatibility overrides. But...

As things stand at least, it's not replacing my main W10 build. The dealbreakers for me are the utterly useless and counterproductive new Start Menu, Taskbar and Explorer behaviour. And, in addition, it feels sluggish compared with 10 -although at this stage I have no idea how much of that is down to running it on a spare (albeit fast) rotating hard disk rather than an SSD. The Settings is.. well, the whole thing is a real mishmash of 'modern' style - but with the classic Control Panel applets still popping out here and there, looking totally incongruous.

Have been able to get OpenShell running - but there are incongruities - like Classic Start Menu launching from the Windows key, but not from clicking the Start button.

Whole thing has the feel of an incompletely and inadequately tested Service Pack rather than a 'new' OS, and reminds me of the mistakes made with Windows 8 - quite a few of which seem to be repeating now.

Will have another go at getting the UI components running the way I want them without glitches, but as things stand, distinctly unimpressed.
    I was reading this article, and the guy was having issues with openshell on windows 11, and made a workaround by making a custom icon that is a 99% transparent PNG in paint.net, then this overlays the standard w11 icon that peeks under the classicshell start menu icon. Details can be found here:
    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...pen-shell.html
    Last edited by Jonj1611; 10-10-2021 at 03:43 PM.

11. Received thanks from:

Richh (10-10-2021)

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

I’d love to try it but I don’t think any of the household laptops or desktop meet the min spec so will have to wait and see if MS ever launch a W11 pauper edition

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Bruce View Post
    It's interesting to see that this thread's collective response seems to be "not touching it" or "tried it and its naff" - particularly given we are all techies, who ought to be excited about new bleeding edge stuff... Looks like microsoft need to go re-evaluate their life.
    The "problem" is that, as techies, we get excited about actual new things, not pointless and unnecessary reskinning efforts.

Windows 2000, as far as i am concerned, was the last time the UI was most functional, with least unnecessary graphical crap.
    Since then, its all been about "improving" the customer experience, and that has been firmly aimed at non-computer users.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

I've no current plans to do so. If I do, it'll probably be when Win10 goes EOL (I didn't even move on to 10 until 7 went EOL).

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    The "problem" is that, as techies, we get excited about actual new things, not pointless and unnecessary reskinning efforts.
    Exactly. To me, Win11 just seems to be Microsoft's second go at doing what they tried to do with 8, namely make it more like a tablet OS for everyone despite it not being the suitable route for PC users.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    It's not only that but something i listened to the other day reminded me of how half arsed their pointless and unnecessary reskinning efforts are - The 'new' settings app, they've been working on that for almost 10 years and it's still half baked.

New bleeding edge stuff is great and all but when it's done badly or left half finished it just feels like a kick in the teeth, it just feels like they're releasing shiny new stuff because they know people will focus on that rather than the mess they've left behind.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

Windows Settings are a mess because somebody in MS refuses to let go of Control Panel

Thanks

I wish it was that simple but i suspect it's not just because somebody in MS refuses to let go of Control Panel, it's a cultral thing within MS IMO as you see the same thing loads of Windows things. Take the CLI, Command Prompt, for example. Instead of making it better they came up with PowerShell but because PowerShell doesn't do everything cmd.exe can do they now have two CLI's and because switching between the two is awkward they come up with yet another program in an attempt to make it easier.

The same happened with NTFS, instead of making it better they created ReFs but ReFs is missing loads of the feature of NTFS, heck you can't even boot from it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Windows Settings are a mess because somebody in MS refuses to let go of Control Panel
    But why do they?

Maybe because completely replacing how all that stuff is done is fine for the technically more literate users, but for those (and I know a few) that still haven't quite mastered actually scheduling a recording on their VCR (and yeah, I am serious about that) they've spent years working out how to do the basics with control panel and then, wham, it's all changed.

More seriously, lots of business users can do what they need to for their jobs, but change that and lots of staff retraining follows, as do complaints from such users.

Yet, if you enable both systems, you now have to maintain both and end up with an OS with a split personality.

They are a bit between a rock and a hard place, perhaps just evaluating the relative size and importance of which group to annoy least.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

19. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (11-10-2021)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I'm rather comfy up on the fence for now.

... but then I'm typing this in the comfort of my work Linux environment, and Windows is just for launching games. So I'll need that AMD performance loss fixed before I adopt it, but I'm sure I'll move over at some point.

Right now I'm more miffed that my Linux KDE setup has lost its wobbly windows. I liked wobbly windows, but it looks like they didn't have an active maintainer so with Fedora 34 they went. It's not just Windows that can disappoint

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

I'll be dabbling here and there on it earlier than I would normally. Unfortunately because it's now effectively Windows 10+ it's easy for machines to auto upgrade so I can envisage the incoming support calls when things no longer work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information