Thread: Quick Opinion Test : Win File Managers

Thanks

Quick Opinion Test : Win File Managers

I'm just after a quick opinion from Ye Olde Hexen Hexperts ... which replacement File Manager you prefer. Obviously, to replace the distinctly 3rd rate item that Windows includes. I mean, sure, I'm firmly n the "don't stuff loads of junk into Windows, I'll find my own" camp, ususally, but that's when MS insist on loads'a stuff that isn't really a core component of an OS, but aguably, managing files actually is.

So .... I know what I I'll probably use on this 'ere new (software) setup, and I've been sort-of using it for a while, without major issue. And that is FreeCommander. So far, I've been using the really free, openly available (32-bit) one, and could just continue doing s, but the advantage of "donating" is that you get access to the donor-ony 64-bit version and, of course, supporting the developer that's put loads of time into developing it. And, the publicly available (32-bit) version seems to get updated about once a year (-ish) ad the donor version rather more often.

So before I take the fairly inexpensive plunge and donate, anything good enough to firmly advcate over and above FreeCommander? And why?
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Quick Opinion Test : Win File Managers

Treesize is my current go to when I want a few features that explorer lacks
    https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free?ca=1

I used to use is freeCommander - however, they annoyed a few people when 64bit became a thing, they went about it the wrong way in the beginning. It is an excellent program and enough time has passed that I'd reconsider if TreeSize didn't do what I wanted.
    I will say TreeSize free is excellent and light weight. I can't comment on the pay for versions as it does what I need.

What features are you predominantly looking for?

3. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (28-06-2022)

Thanks

Basic file management mainly, y'know, copy/move/delete type thing. But ... with the ease of the typical dual-pane Xtree-type layout. Beyond that, aving a reasonable 'search' built-in is nice, as is support for ZIP, etc, but perhaps the most useful is a decent folder-to-folder compare/sync feature. It helps me keep certain folders fully sync'd between several folder locations, sometims on the same mchine but usually on different ones, mainly, NAS.

Really, nothing terribly challenging. But what I do appreciate in minimal fuaa doing it, which is where ... well, pretty much everything, scores over the buily-in FM.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

With folder compare, FreeCommander will be the better of the two.
    The only way to do that in TreeSize is open two instances and use the Windows snap feature.

A couple of others you may be interested in having a peek

Double Commander, this is in it's very early stages - next release is scheduled for 2023 so its a bit of a slow project.
    https://doublecmd.sourceforge.io/

ZTree, a copy of XTree for modern Windows. A classic early 90s website to go with it
    https://ztree.com/html/ztreewin.htm

For Synching files, I recommend this little app, similar idea to SyncToy but without the flaws.
    Looks basic but the best Sync I've used and supports command line, so you can setup scheduled tasks easily.

https://allwaysync.com/
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 27-06-2022 at 09:15 PM.

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (28-06-2022)

Thanks

I've used AlWaySync for some years and, if my use of compare/sync was greater, I'd go that way. It's probably overkill for the relatively casual use I have in mind, though. I'd prefer one integrated tool.

ZTree is tempting but really, for nostalgia's sake. FreeCommander reminds me of that in some ways but, brought up to date some. And, it's pretty configurable, too. DoubleCommander looks like it'll be interesting, but I'm after something reasonably fully-fledged right now.

I appreciate the ideas but it's not that I'm looking to ditch FC, more that before I finally commit, I wanted to be sure I'm not missing an obvious superior option. To switch, now that I'm used to it, there needs to be a very good reason. FC isn't perfect, and is maybe a bit dated and old-fashioned in some ways but then, ahem .... so am I.

8. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (28-06-2022)

Thread Information