Thread: reinstall XP

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

reinstall XP

just wanting to get this right before I royally cock up - loads of bugs throwing up so think might need to swipe things clean and start again. if I want to hang onto everything; program links and stuff like that, is it ok to back up the registry (via 'export' in regedit) then import it back in the new refreshed OS?
    would that do it cause its a pain to have to reinstall every thing like Office and what-not

ah, yes, where can I get info for a slip streamed XP with SP2? might speed things up a lot...cause then I'll have an almighty ton of updates to download soon after!! i can't wait!

edit: which reminds me, if I went SATA can I use my bog-standard ata HDD to transfer everything (lots of pics etc)? basically use bothe types of HDD connection at the same time is what I'm wondering.
    Last edited by shiato storm; 12-08-2005 at 01:33 AM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    ok, so its not all spam then ta pyle!

Thanks
    *wobbles with fear*
    not that fear does that too me, I'm just feeling particularly wobbly right now...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    just wanting to get this right before I royally cock up - loads of bugs throwing up so think might need to swipe things clean and start again. if I want to hang onto everything; program links and stuff like that, is it ok to back up the registry (via 'export' in regedit) then import it back in the new refreshed OS?
    would that do it cause its a pain to have to reinstall every thing like Office and what-not
    If you have a load of bugs then exporting and importing the registry is just to trans some some over with you, much better off reinstalling all the apps from scratch, takes ages, but it's better in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    edit: which reminds me, if I went SATA can I use my bog-standard ata HDD to transfer everything (lots of pics etc)? basically use bothe types of HDD connection at the same time is what I'm wondering.
    Yep, you certainly can use both at the same time I do!
    Last edited by mark19632; 12-08-2005 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Because I did the quote wrong!

Thanks
    Yeah you can certainly uses SATA and IDE drives together. However, if you want to boot off SATA you'll need to consider a few things. Changing the device bootup order in the BIOS, having the SATA drivers on a floppy for when you install Windows on it, etc

Also be aware that it's best to just have the SATA drive connected while installing Windows. Then add the IDE drive afterwards. Think Windows will always default an IDE drive to C:\ even if you are not installing on it. So you could end up with the SATA drive being E:\ or something. Once installed, you cannot change the drive letter of the Windows drive.

Thanks
    Paul Thurrot's site is good if you have Easy CD/DVD Creator; if you use Nero, I've just come across http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm which is pretty good.

I wouldn't export and import the registry, you'd end up with loads of dead DLL references and things which kinda defeats the object of reinstalling - you're better off just reinstalling all your apps on the clean XP install.

You may well not need the SATA drivers on a floppy unless you've got a pre-NF3 (IIRC) chipset and/or you're using SATA RAID - if neither of those apply, pretty much all SATA controllers can be seen as a regular IDE controller by XP setup. Best bet is to try it and see.

Thanks
    You should try the tool called nLite. You can download it here: http://www.nliteos.com

With it you can even integrate other (Post SP2) fixes or drivers... It is damn good... You'll see it...

P.S.: There are also several useful guides for that program (under support). Check it out.

Thread Information