Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Own hosting server Set-up?

Web Extraordinaire
    Thanks

Own hosting server Set-up?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has set-up their own hosting set-up? I want to set this up my self for myself, and wanted to know if anyway recommends any web sites to guide me threw the process?

Cheers,
    RealM

Thanks
    I've set up an Apache server with PHP support on Debian (just for testing purposes) - why do you want to set up your own hosting? Is it just on the network, or for the internet?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    If its for home, i second debian, if its doing lots of things (database, http, https, games) then try NetBSD, because its BSD kernel its better than linux, and its free too.

if its on the internet, then its a different kettle of fish, ADSL isn't very suited to hosting sites (its been designed this way to promote SDSL, and allow them to keep the price artifically high) your best bet is to get a "dedicated server" or "colocation".

EDIT: Please dont solicit for business here. Thanks. DaBeeeenster
    Last edited by DaBeeeenster; 21-08-2005 at 12:48 PM.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Web Extraordinaire
    Thanks
    Well what i was thinking of tbh was setting up a server to host various customer's site's that i do. I know it is not a easiest of task's but was thinking in the long run i would be saving money due to me not having to pay for hosting when i get a new customer.

So looking at your reply i would need the second option. But was thinking to my self blueyonder are making their 2meg lines up to 10meg in september. Would this be ok to run off or am i best to get a what you suggest?

Cheers for your help.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by realm
    Well what i was thinking of tbh was setting up a server to host various customer's site's that i do. I know it is not a easiest of task's but was thinking in the long run i would be saving money due to me not having to pay for hosting when i get a new customer.

So looking at your reply i would need the second option. But was thinking to my self blueyonder are making their 2meg lines up to 10meg in september. Would this be ok to run off or am i best to get a what you suggest?

Cheers for your help.
    Hosting anything over than a really low traffic server of a home line is pretty much a no go. Since you need to look at upload bandwidth, not download. You could look at getting a SDSL or leased line installed to your location, but it would be very very very expensive.

Slippery when wet
    Thanks
    Its the upload that counts dew1911©. Bulldog's 8mb package comes with 768 up, which is nowhere near what you would need! Your best bet is to either take TheAnimus up on his offer, or have a look for a VPS (Virtual Private Server) - I have had a few hosted with PowerVPS.com before, £25 per month for 250GB transfer (get 100gb free) 10gb of space, choice of free control panel (Plesk, cPanel or DA - I like DA the best, its nice) two IP's and a few more goodies! Their support is top notch too

Reagrds,

Craig

Thanks
    I don't know alot, but an 8Mb Bulldog connection doesn't benefit people downloading things of a home server. You only get 8Mb of download, not 8Mb of upload. I don't know about 8Mb, but on most of the lower level ones(512,1024,2048) you only get 256KPBS upload. Which would probably be about 16KB/s, not alot if you want to have more then one or two people using your site at any one time.

Thanks
    its also more important were the bandwidth goes at that other end.

When your on the ADSL BT backbone, you're in contention, that means you have to wait if need be. This is were latency comes from.

SDSL is much better, because you can be 1:1 contention, but at the other end too, when it gets to the ISP they generally have better settings.

Transit costs money.

a plebian would pay about £30 to £60 for 1mbit of transit.
    some might be paying as much as £100.

This is more than the ADSL costs, why? Because the ISP assumes that your not going to be using it all the time. This is were the new low cost pricing stuff is comming from.

Now if you want truely your own box, then look at co-location, this is where you put your own box in. You will get to learn about fun things like transist routes. Dedicated servers are the term when someone provides you with the hardware. As with colocation you pay for the space your taking (often rackmount is used, this is in Units, or U) then you pay for transist. (GB per month, or mbit, GB per month is billed generally at 95th percentile, google if u like ur statistics and want to know how its calculated) but dedicated you also lease the hardware. This means its upto them to look after it, replace warn out fans not u, this is both the up, and the down side.

Then theres virtual servers, so many different types here, some are just a re-seller account which let you host websites + mail. Some are chroot jails, which make it seam like you've got the whole box.

Virtual server for web + mail is probably best, that way you let someone else do the hard work, and you pay very little for them to do it. If you want control, then jail type servers are good, here you share the server with other people. But if you want full control, and not have to worry about other people on the box taking ur resources u need colocation or dedicated server.

Web Extraordinaire
    Thanks
    Right i see where you are coming from now. I already have my own space on a friends server but his reliability is not great when i need things setting up fast. Thats why i wanted to go down this route in the first place. So looking on what you said i think i would want full control over the server then i can get to know the in's and out's of how it all works So that means i would need a colocation or dedicated server if i am correct?

Thanks
    but his reliability is not great when i need things setting up fast.
    and your hosting paying customers on this ????

If your new to this do you really think that you should be hosting customers on your first attempt to setup a hosting platform ? what about security, maintanence, upgrades, monitoring, tuning etc.

There is much more to it than just sticking in an install cd and letting it run.

By all means play around at home, but if your hosting paying customers there is no excuse for hosting on a "mates" server that has poor reliability. Pay a good hosting provider.

From what I've read you'll be looking for a managed server so that the provider will run the server for you to get the service you need, if your very new to this which your comments suggest you are a co-located system would be no good for you as you'd have to run it yourself, maintain it etc which you've already said you've never done before.

There are many hosting providers out there, gen up on some and pick one.
    It is Inevitable.....

Web Extraordinaire
    Thanks
    My mate has his own company so is completly reliable but as a say not the fastest as i am a mate so it is not as quick as a normal customer. I would not host customers on my own server unless i was sure 100% sure that it was secure and i have several people who i know has set this sort of thing up before and know all key facts to be checked.

Thanks
    realm it takes a lot of time to set up and maintain a server.

However, and i will no doubt get attack for this, with windows 2003, the lazy admin is very well catered for, you just say every tuesday night at like 4am the box resets (so its actually wedensday morning) and installs patches. The new IIS is very fast, and gives better performance than apache, and with .net running phlanger even your PHP is faster (faster than Zend Optimized by 2 times!). I use this for personal, and my own debian box, because debain has a great package manager, which makes security updates a breaze. The problem with debian, is i never know when a patch is going to come out, were as with win i know its every tuesday. Nice

You need to work out what you need (basic http, dynamic stuff, database) and how many people it has to serve, and the money vrs time. If you've got little money, but plenty of time to spend, then debian or NetBSD is probably the best bet (NetBSD if your doing lots of things on the box, or want 'extra' security).

Thanks
    Hi
    I have a couple of low spec 1u servers built from old bits and bobs and host them in a datacenter. I think your best bet is to build a small 1u server then using http://www.hostinghacks.net guide, i suggest the debian one, hostinghacks is a complete guide to setting up a webserver, including mail, monitoring, logging, backup, security (firewall). whats best is, its all free.

All you really need todo is a build a server, set it all up at home, and then go with someone like http://www.northerncolo.co.uk/calcprice.pl?offer=COLO1 as you only require small amounts of bandwidth to host the server, this way you will be able to host plenty of sites, along with mail accounts, and provide many more services to your customers.

rob

Thanks
    get youself a dedicated box from someone like 1and1.co.uk - you'll be able to run whatever you want on it.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    if your looking for an easy to use setup and dont want to spend time learning new cool stuff then go with a cheap dedi like Moby-Dick suggests, but thats just boring. you get a lot more from doing it yourself.

Thanks
    I have only tried using redhat/fedora linux.

I recommend you set one up at home before u start playing around with a live webserver on the net. I would recommend a managed/semi managed server to begin with until you are completely confident you are able to manage a server competantly.

use web guides and buy a book, theres alot to learn.

i agree win server has a slightly easier learning curve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information