Thread: dont flame me lol,,but how do i post pics/images?

w33d smoka
    Thanks

dont flame me lol,,but how do i post pics/images?

hi there

i would realy appreciate it if some 1 could give me some guidance or a link to a site which will explain the process i have to go through to post images,,ive been doing some modding to my 2 shuttles and ide like to show them to u guys but i havnt got a clue how to post pics so can any1 explain please step by step?

thnx in advance

edit: this is just a test,could u guys tell me if u can see it?

http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/r.php?d=g&f=gepard.jpg

ive tried it and i see it but how do i post the actual pics on the website of my choice without having to use a link like this 1?

thnx again
    Last edited by micovwar; 07-10-2003 at 08:38 AM.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    c,mon guys any1 got the 2 mins to spare pls as i realy wanna know but it doesnt seem to be working?
    Last edited by micovwar; 07-10-2003 at 03:32 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah we see it, when we click it.
    Use the [IMG] tag so we can see them without clicking if thats what your after.

Thanks
    When you post, just below and to the left of the "submit Reply" button there is a 'Forum Rules' box. Click on the vB code link for information on how to do some basic stuff

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Last edited by micovwar; 07-10-2003 at 09:54 PM.

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    its because they are not direct links to images, they are PHP pages with parameters.

You need direct links e.g. www.mysite.com/photos/pc.jpg

Thanks
    Test:

Edit: Ok, either Hexus wont let you post images images that big or what AZ said.. which went over my head, but I'm guessing that if you translate what he siad into english it would come out as "the upload site you are using needs to sort some www's out after the http - give the webmaster a slap"
    Last edited by Trickle; 08-10-2003 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks
    Ok, I've resized and uploaded the first 4 of your images here. Your images were 650+K each and would take too much bandwidth to post on forums giant 'post your comps here' type threads like the ones you see on OCUK

You can see them here and use the links if you like. However you will probably find that you'd like a different size or higher quality than the medium jpeg setting I used [also you lose quality with jpegs each time you resample them unless using the original image] so I would check with your isp (unless using BT broadband ) what webspace they offer
    The free Freeserve account I've stuck these on costs £0/month, is about 5 times faster than hosting them on my own connection [and doesnt wipe out your bandwidth when you post a pic on a popular thread].

Last edited by Trickle; 08-10-2003 at 02:14 AM.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    ok thnx trickle,,my current connection is blueyonder 1mb cable broadband but i donno about there services for webspace etc,infact i donno anything about who offers quality webspace etc as i only started learning all this pic/image posting stuff yesterday

i basically am using 1 called MIGweb uploader to upload my images too then it gives me 3 lines of code with 2 coded addresses for each line,could u possibly tell me which line is the 1 i need to use to post pictures directly on hexus (or any other site)?
    and also if im to learn anything at all about posting images could u possibly tell me which software is needed to resize or alter images/pics and what the average/maximum size is,like i say im basically starting from fresh on this becouse ide love to know how to do it (and i dare say its pretty simple to do,,but only if u know how),if any1 can give me info on decent webspace or anything for that matter which may help me would be greatly appreciated pls!

thnx in advance

Thanks
    Ya, I checked the MIGweb site and his 3 lies of code. In principal very useful, but the [img] one isnt working here... because of, erm what AZ said. Have you tried any other forums with the same code? If it aint working for others then you will have to ditch that guy as a webspace source and go get the blueyonder stuff.

You can use the paint program that comes with windows to resize jpegs if you dont have any other program. Most other peeps would probably say Photoshop, however legitimate copies of this cost £££. There are free paint/image editing programs available, but you would have to google for some and try them out - unless anyone else can offer suggestions?

You could swap to linux and use the free gimp paint program

I'm sure blueyonder must do some webspace? I'll let some of the cable peeps answer that one, though the info you need is usually hidden on the 'help' pages of the isp in question.

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    to explain, a normal link to an image would be www.mysite.com/images.pc.jpg for example. The link that micovwar posted was a link to a php page

http://mig2.lathwood.co.uk/r.php?d=s&f=sn41_gaffix.jpg

That link goes to a page called r.php. Everything after the question mark is a set of parameters which tells the page r.php to go away and find the image sn41_gaffix.jpg and then display it on the page. The most obvious reason for displaying graphics in this way would be to prevent people linking directly to the image for display on a forum. Effectively the link on the forum just points to r.php which is not a valid image and a red x is therefore displayed

hope that helps

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    thnx alot fellas for the info but im finding this all pretty confusing to say the least,,im gonna check out my isp becouse apparently im entitled to 30mb of free webspace which comes as part of my internet package,,can any1 tell me what the correct or maximum size for pics is on hexus (or generally most forums) please?

[Az] i clicked on the link u gave me:www.mysite.com/images.pc.jpg and i think i must be missing something as it takes me to a site where all it talks about is selling on ebay etc,,couldnt find nothing on web space etc,could u possibly give me anymore info or am i just dumb enuff to have missed what im looking for?

thnx again fellas

edit: hi again,ok now ive sorted out my free webspace account but i dont have any tools to be able to upload images and ive looked pretty hard and cant see nothin,,could any1 possibly reccommend such a tool so i can easily upload images to my webspace please?

thnx again
    Last edited by micovwar; 10-10-2003 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    The link he posted was just an example of the rough format/syntax you are after

You need an ftp program. Lots of free ones about. There should be a thread or two somewhere deep in the anals of the software or poss internet forum on which ftp program. Usually the isp's help pages/faq will suggest one?

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    thnx trickle,,,dont suppose u know of an"easy to use" ftp program eh,this is all a bit confusing already,sorry

Thanks
    Hmm, finding threads trickier than I thought. Here are two that may be of interest. Ortherwise start one yourself in the software forum?

No direct url for download on this thread so will need to use the 2 below
    http://cws.internet.com/ftp.html
    http://www.thefreesite.com/Free_Software/FTP_freeware/

If you want to talk to a programer themselves and bounce questions of him perhaps.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    thnx 4 all ure help trickle,i think ive sorted it now

thnx again guys

Thread Information