Thread: Win XP SP2 PCMCIA Error device can not start Code 10

Thanks

Question Win XP SP2 PCMCIA Error device can not start Code 10

The device failed to start

Guys really stuck now, Just done a clean install of XP Pro on my old dell inspiron laptop 5000e which was working fine with Win XP pro SP1 and a DFE-650 pcmcia ethernet network card.

Thought i'd be clever and format the system and then apply SP2 and then plugged in my network card and i'm now getting the above, Error this device can not be started (Code 10)

I've checked everywhere and on microsoft's solution is yep you guessed it install SP 2

Any idea's at all i don't understand why it would work with XP and XP SP1 where it was a known issue and not SP2 where MS have fixed it.
    i5 | Antec Sonata 3 | 4 GB | OCZ Vertex | Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7

Thanks
    I have had this before the way i got round it is reinstall windows with everything connected i had the same problem with a modem tried all the web for an answer no luck.
    You could try to uninstall the card and try to reinstall the card again with drivers,
    If it cant find spare recourse's turn off the serials and printer port in the bios.
    Hope this helps the reinstall work for me.

Thanks
    Hey mate many thanks for the reply, I have actually tried to uninstall and reinstall the card with dlink dfe-65 drivers with no joy, and also reformated system again this time with the card in during install and still no joy.

The resources are there it's to do with them requesting them in such a way that they lock the resources and xp can't auto allocate them as it would do even though SP2 was supposed to fix this.

From the Microsoft site.

SYMPTOMS
    When you insert a multifunction PC Card into the PCMCIA slot, only one function is enumerated and initialized, the other functions do not work. When this problem occurs, a code 10 error occurs in Device Manager. This problem occurs in certain scenarios, and it depends on how the function drivers connect to the interrupt request (IRQ). If the drivers use the translated resources (as expected), they connect to an IRQ as "exclusive." This means that the drivers shut out the other function. However, if the drivers explicitly specify "shared," this problem does not occur. Some drivers may incorrectly specify "shared."

CAUSE
    This problem occurs because when Mf.sys generates resource lists, it does not handle the allocation of device exclusive resources when more than one child device requests a resource that is marked device exclusive on the parent device. Interrupt resource on a multifunction PC Card is an example of a resource that is marked device exclusive on the parent device that must be shared on more than one child device. When a child device requests a device exclusive resource, it does not receive one, and a code 10 error occurs in Device Manager.

RESOLUTION
    Service pack information
    Windows XP
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP.

linkage:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813707

anyone else any idea's

Thanks
    Hey all just thought i'd check in and let you know managed to resolve this just by chance actually.

I still couldn't get my network card working no matter what i tried and wasn't prepared to do my 5th reinstall in a row so i thought forget it i'll just get a new network card with some better drivers as this was a few years old so of i popped to amazon to get a belkin card while waitng for that i thought i would try another PCMCIA device just to make sure it wasn't XP and it was the card/drivers causing the problem so plugged in my old 56k PCMCIA card and got exactly the same msg code 10 error starting device as you can imagine my heart sank.

Then for no logical reason at all i though i'd try my old card again because i hadn't actually tried 2 cards at the same time so i plugged in my network card with the modem STILL in there but not started and my network card was recognized and started straight away and is now working without a problem????

I have no idea whats going on but i'm now thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it and i can live without a 56k modem in this day and age seen as i have a wifi usb dongle to use with my laptop to access my router.

Anyways i ramble on but just wanted to post this so it's there in the future to help anyone who may suffer this vizzare problem

Many thanks for your suggestion/help theslasher

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I always had problems like that with D-Link stuff, I tend to steer clear now.. THey're cheap on Ebay for a reason
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    I didn't relaise dlink would cause a problem cos when i brought it it was actually one of the more expensive ones, i'm hoping my belkin one will be much better.

Thread Information