Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uni Group Project : Software Engineering

Thanks

Uni Group Project : Software Engineering

Hi

I'm currently in my 3rd year Studying Computing and Information, and this semester we have a Subject called Software Engineering, which is basically making something in a group. Now, having talked to my group, we fancy trying something along the lines of a Website, connected to a database, say for Cars for sale or something, or even houses.

Users would be able to search for them by criteria, and even be able to put items on the site, and upload some pics etc. But, what would be the best way to do this?

Would it be possible to code the database in Access, or would it have to be done in MySQL, and how would the web front to it work?

Any input on this would be much appreciated, we really want to try something new, rather than us programming in Java all semester to produce something useless, like a Bar Chart making in Java or something.

Hopefully someone can offer advice

David

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    you can code the database in access but to avoid any licence issues you'd be better with a PHP/MySQL approach. Your only issue might be when you have to demo it as I'm assuming you won't have easy to access to an Apache/MySQL setup unless you have a laptop or are willing to pay for some hosting.

Your suggestions for concepts are good but it might be better to base it on something you have experience of as then you can build a system e.g. it might be nice to build a system that allows the lecturers to take in projects for a class, add comments, rate the project individually, then decide on an overall grade. The same system would also allow the student to respond to the rating given e.g. to ask for more feedback on specific points. Over the course of the degree you'd build up a portfolio of the student's work and comments which can be viewed by both parties as a log which could be printed out for inclusion in a CV or something similar.

It's just an idea but projects like this always work better when they solve a problem you have experience of as you can then write up the project specification as targetting a specific problem or set of problems and then at the end of the report you can document how you solved those problems and to what extent

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Az.

I'm thinking of Purchacing the Elite hosting package from Hosting Unlimited, details here - http://www.hosting-unlimited.net/elite.php - I'm assuming this would allow me a project of this nature to work online?

I'm not sure how your suggestion would actually work, or how good it would be when made, however I understand where your coming from. Building something like the Hexus Trust system would be really good, and I'm assuming the actualy database behind it wouldn't be too complicated, however, I'm probably miles off with that presumption. And by the looks of it, there's alot of complex querying taking place, for all the people with a rating above 125 etc, and being able to sort by different headings.

For making a database in MySQL, how complicated is it? I have never used it before. I really don't have a clue where to start with this project, but am looking forward to trying to do something challenging and interesting for a change.

I like the idea of comments etc, and being able to rate things, however, this project can't get too complicated, it has to be finished in about 12 weeks, with a hefty report and a presentation.

Any further thoughts woulr be great.

David

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    elite hosting looks suitable. If you've got access to a modem and don't mind dialling up to put pages on your web then you can get a PHP/MySQL enabled site for free at www.uklinux.net. Something to consider anyway.

Making a database in MySQL is the same as any other SQL database so it'll depend on your experience of SQL. If you know Access you'll have a head start although it isn't entirely regular in its SQL implementation.

I'd advise you to spend around 4-6 hours doing this tutorial which will teach you everything you need to know to get started in PHP/MySQL

Tutorial - http://www.sitepoint.com/article/228

Thanks
    Thanks again for the reply. I've bookmarked that site, I'll try and work through it some night this week. I'm really not sure to be honest if I'll be able to do a decent sized project in PHP/MySQL as I've never worked with either before, but my HTML and CSS skills are decent enough, and I worked all summer as a Database Developer, working in Access, doing a bit of VBA coding.

Do you think it would be difficult to make some kind of a site where users can search for houses for sale? And also have an admin side of things, people who can add houses and upload pics?

The search options would be things like, price (from and to), bedrooms, checkboxes for required items like double glazing, security entry, garage, and the ability to sort by date, or price. In Access, this would probably need a fair bit of VBA coding, and loads of quieries for every criteria, either that, or the dreaded union queries. I'm not sure if it would be feasable really

Do you mind me asking if you coded the original Trust system? Was it hard to code and make? I remember it being quite simple, but it probably was far from it. Later in the week I'll try and find some sample stuff to look through, as well as that tutorial to work through you linked to.

Thanks for the help so far

Thanks
    Do it mysql, cheap n fast

if u need any help shout me. me and mates used too do my cousins course work for him in an afternoon, he pased quite well, but then we were just working on a million pound contract for westminster.

Thanks
    Id also recommend a mysql database, its cheaper and works just as well. plenty of support available for it too but i guess that also applies for access. and i must say thats a hell of a hosting package for £5 per month!

If you code in java then learning php shoulnt be a problem to learn.
    I assume u did java but did u also venture into JavaServer Pages, if so why not use jsp with mysql?

If you need help with graphics i may be able to give u a hand so feel free to shout me.
    Last edited by Nemeliza; 06-10-2003 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, however, it's something I would like to learn how to do myself, and do again if necessary. It's something I've been interested in for a while. I've had a flick through that tutorial Az, and making the Tables etc in MySQL doesn't seem to look too hard! However, the PHP looks quite complicated already, even at the stage of simply adding/removing/viewing jokes! But I'm determined I'll get it to work, provided it's achievable in the time space.

I might go and take a look around the book shop tomorrow for some Books that cover PHP and MySQL, with plenty of worked through varied easy to understand examples.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other ideas? I was thinking of a simple Help Desk style one, where users can raise calls, and both Help Desk staff and users can reply, adding more information. This could actually be quite useful, I could use it at work

Edit :
    Originally posted by Nemeliza
    And I must say thats a hell of a hosting package for £5 per month!

If you need help with graphics i may be able to give u a hand so feel free to shout me.
    Yup, looks excellent for that money! Cheers for the offer, I may be in contact at some point! I really hope this project is going to turn out well

Tomorrow I'll buy my domain name, www.dd.co.uk seems good (my initials). Short and snappy, and I get the almighty dawson at dd.co.uk email address!
    Last edited by dawson; 06-10-2003 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks
    i like the helpdesk idea, what sort of timeframe have you been given for the project?

Thanks
    Well, we start now, and has to be finished for presentation say, end of December roughly. We are acessed both as a group as a whole by the Lecturer, by each other, and by an Examination Board. It seems alot of the marks are to do with how me make it rather than what we make. Ie, organisation skills, time management, how we work as a group etc.

Thanks
    Originally posted by dawson
    Well, we start now, and has to be finished for presentation say, end of December roughly. We are acessed both as a group as a whole by the Lecturer, by each other, and by an Examination Board. It seems alot of the marks are to do with how me make it rather than what we make. Ie, organisation skills, time management, how we work as a group etc.
    hmm i cant think of the name of a well known bookshop that is well stocked up with good computer books.

It has a black fascia and logo in gold lettering.

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks
    I didn't code the original Trust system but I did rewrite the current version from scratch. Most complicated part was the user login and activation section but that's mainly down to all the error and security checking more than anything else.

The helpdesk concept is a decent one and you will be able to find tons of free PHP apps that do the same thing on www.sourceforge.net. However, it's no different in terms of effort to the lecturer/student system I mentioned earlier and if you did a good job then the department may even use it which would be a major win for you.

Thanks
    Argh... today I found out we are not now allowed to choose our own projects. We have been assigned to make a java translator, which converts phrases from English and French into "Sol Re Sol", and vice versa, which should also deal with file input/output.

Has anyone heard of "Sol Re Sol"?!?

Man, I so wanted to do php

HEXUS.net Webmaster
    Thanks

Thanks
    "One of the weirdest 19th century constructed languages must be Sol-Re-Sol, a language based on the seven notes of conventional western music (or seven phonemes, or seven colours, etc). One person who tried learning it said it was a revalation to find out that the first four notes of Beethoven's Fifth were actually saying "Wednesday" to him. www.amristar.com.au/~hutch/solresol/ "

Oh dear... a language constructed from colours and musical notes? It just gets better

Thanks
    OH THE JOYS!!!!!

Looks like ur in for a boring 3 months......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information