Thread: Wirless Help in Vista RC1

Thanks

Wirless Help in Vista RC1

OK, I finally got round to installing Vista RC1 5728 32bit on my second harddrive last night.

I installed the drivers for my Belkin 54g wireless USB stick and all went well. The belkin wireless utility doesnt work, but its not needed anyway.

I can pick up wireless networks so I know its working, but I cant connect to my router!

It needs to connect using WPA-PSK using TKIP, thats how it works in XP. But when I try to create a profile in Vista, theres no option to choose WPA-PSk, only WPA personal, WPA2 personal and the same for business. None of these work!!

Wheres the option for WPA-PSK??

Also, I cant change any options within the router coz my gfs company pay for the braodband and won't give out the router password. They'll only give me the SSID (not broadcasted) and WPA key.
    Last edited by s_kinton; 28-09-2006 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Bump:

15 views and no replies!!? Does nobody know how to use WPA-PSK in Vista?

Registered+
    Thanks
    From the microsoft site,

'Q. How can I configure a wireless network to use shared key authentication in Windows Vista?

A. You cannot select the shared key authentication method from the Connect to a network wizard. Microsoft strongly discourages its use because it provides very weak security for wireless networks. To configure shared key authentication, select No authentication (Open) in the Connect to a network wizard and then select Shared from the Security tab for the properties of the wireless network.'

I haven't loaded Vista RC1 yet, so let me know if it works.

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Honestly, how in the heck is WPA-PSK weak? Its far better than WEP and most routers don't support anything other than WPA-PSK and WEP.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jharne View Post
    From the microsoft site,

'Q. How can I configure a wireless network to use shared key authentication in Windows Vista?

A. You cannot select the shared key authentication method from the Connect to a network wizard. Microsoft strongly discourages its use because it provides very weak security for wireless networks. To configure shared key authentication, select No authentication (Open) in the Connect to a network wizard and then select Shared from the Security tab for the properties of the wireless network.'

I haven't loaded Vista RC1 yet, so let me know if it works.
    that method gives you a WEP connection

Im having the same problem, no matter what i do, it will not connect using WPA PSK / TKIP or AES. My laptop with XP on, can connect no probs using any of these protocols, and the pc with vista on, can connect when there is no encryption, but when there is encryption, it wont connect, but it does see that there is a network available.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    that method gives you a WEP connection

Im having the same problem, no matter what i do, it will not connect using WPA PSK / TKIP or AES. My laptop with XP on, can connect no probs using any of these protocols, and the pc with vista on, can connect when there is no encryption, but when there is encryption, it wont connect, but it does see that there is a network available.
    Sorry, I pulled it fron technet. As I said I haven't yet installed Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenNight View Post
    Honestly, how in the heck is WPA-PSK weak? Its far better than WEP and most routers don't support anything other than WPA-PSK and WEP.
    Because of the PSK part, pre-shared key. It will always make something vunerable. You can set up a server to continuosly generate random keys, which would be mind numbingly difficult to break.

Thread Information