Thread: 2 q's: Vista Windows Explorer and IE7 context menu

Thanks

Question 2 q's: Vista Windows Explorer and IE7 context menu

'lo all.

I've a couple of questions re Vista Windows Explorer and IE7's right-click context menu that you may be able to help me out with (I've posted this on mad-onion's forum without much luck).

1. Windows Explorer.
    I like Explorer to display all the folders in the same way, i.e. with the medium size icon. Now in XP, this is dead easy. You configure the current window to look the way you want it then go to the View tab in Tools > Folder Options and pressing Apply to All Folders.
    Alas in Vista, there's no Tools > Folder Options in the window menu bar so I can't do the same as in XP.

I know Folder Options is still available via the Control Panel, but the Apply to All Folders there doesn't set the icon size that I want.

2. IE7 right-click context menu
    Put simply, the context menu doesn't work.
    I can right-click to bring up the menu, but there is no select bar to select from the menu.
    The Vista installation is an upgrade from beta2 to RC1 5600 to RC1 5728 and I'm sure is a security measure that was introduced in the beta2 to RC1 5600 but I can't work our which. I've even tried putting the Internet security zone to nothing but it's still occurring. I'm sure that a lot of port are being blocked - streaming videos are very hit and miss - but I don't know why seeing as I don't have any firewall aside from the one in my router which I know is fine as all honky dory when I boot to my XP install.

Anyone know how to get around these annoying little hiccups?

(sorry for the long first post!)

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    re: Explorer window preferences - just hit ALT once to bring up the regular menu to get access to Tools and set it as per XP.
    Hit ALT again to hide the menu.

re: IE7, I've not heard of that issue before - though I've not done build-to-build upgrades of Vista either.
    If you create a new user account does that user have the same issue?
    If so, it's a profile problem, if not then I'd recommend doing a clean Vista install next time
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    You can get to the folder options by hitting "Organize" in explorer and selecting "Folder and search options"

I don't do upgrades as a rule - and I wouldn't expect them to work well until we're out of beta with Vista.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams View Post
    re: Explorer window preferences - just hit ALT once to bring up the regular menu to get access to Tools and set it as per XP.
    Hit ALT again to hide the menu.

re: IE7, I've not heard of that issue before - though I've not done build-to-build upgrades of Vista either.
    If you create a new user account does that user have the same issue?
    If so, it's a profile problem, if not then I'd recommend doing a clean Vista install next time
    Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    You can get to the folder options by hitting "Organize" in explorer and selecting "Folder and search options"

I don't do upgrades as a rule - and I wouldn't expect them to work well until we're out of beta with Vista.
    Great stuff, thanks guys for the Explorer fix!
    And I don't know why, but IE's context menu's working now as well

*edit* ack, spoke too soon... some folders still refuses to use the standard look in Explorer... grr.
    Last edited by huyster; 06-10-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    I faced the same problem (context menu not working). Then I uninstalled Google toolbar and then it started working again. Could be an issue with the Google toolbar.

Thread Information