Thread: Better XP Pro Settings?

Iam
    Registered+
    Thanks

Better XP Pro Settings?

all being well, I'll soon be rebuilding my broken PC with new bits, then re-installing XP Pro.

Last time I did this, 2 years ago, I just accepted whatever default settings XP Pro installs.

When my PC died, it went into a spiral of Restarting/Crashing/Restarting/Crashing - all without letting me into Windows, & throwing error messages at me faster than I could read the damn things.

I've since learnt that having Windows actually restart in the event of a crash is something you can set it to do or not ... had I had mine not to attempt to resart automatically things may have gone better for me when the dead PC crashed.

It occurs to me there may be other non-standard settings, or tips, for Windows - if anyone has any preferred settings please post/describe below, or give a link to a any site with same.

Thanks.

MurphmanL
    If running Windows XP Pro, most settings can be found in the System Tab, otherwise type msconfig.exe into Run and have a fiddle.
    Some settings can be configured during setup, for Corp users there is the auto setup option, or you can change regional options. Once inside XP, it is possible to add or remove certain windows components (xp home allows you to remove more)
    If you keep having problems check the Microsoft Windows XP website for help and support.
    Personally i would recommend obtaining a copy of xp home for home and gaming use, pro is just for business mainly (as with 2000 pro)
    Unfortunately i have never experienced many problems with xp as opposed to other OS like ME, 98 and 2000.. which makes me so confident in it.. however im sure there are many flaws in xp to be fixed in SP2 with just a bit of tweaking, xp can be made the fastest, most productive and best OS available. Worth every penny in my opinon... keep trying the reinstalls m8.
    Don't give up on XP Home/Pro m8, its by far the best OS out there!

Thanks
    I'd say that if you want XP, you should really choose pro over home - but that's just my personal opinion. In the past, the pro versions allow you to do more, whereas home editions treat you like someone who has never used a pc before.

MurphmanL
    Using both, Pro does allow you to do more in terms of business in this case.. but the home edition has far more customisation available.. both improving leaps and bounds over any other OS ever to be made.

Thanks
    mine is

Control Panel > System Properties > Advanced

Visual Effects click for best performance

Thanks
    try here

St.neots (Cambridgeshire ENGLAND) and proud!!!
    Thanks
    This is another good site http://www.tweakxp.com

Thread Information