i need to get get the module for my binary-only RAID drivers (i.e. i can't just compile into the kernel) loaded into an initrd image which loads the required modules (scsi_mod.o and ft3xx.o) then continues to boot the kernel with root=/dev/sda2 (and convince LILO to play along).

I've got the system running fine if i swap the hard disk over to the IDE channel & boot from /dev/hda2 - and the raid modules load up fine when the kernel eventually tries to load them normally (from hda2)

i've mounted the initrd image i've tried to create to /mnt/temp, and it looks fine to me - there's definitely a file in there calling for the correct modules to be loaded.

the best i've had so far is a set of dmesg messages saying it's mounting the initrd cramfs image, immediately freeing it again, then complaining of "Incorrect Magic" - followed by the kernel panic because it can't find a root partition.

i'm using mkinitrd to make the image, calling it thru lilo via initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23.img on my linux section

Soooooooo.... any ideas? :'(