Thread: Linux

only the finest beef
    Thanks

Linux

Have decided that Linux is actually a waste of time.

Installed Linux on a spare hard drive floating about. Reboot and.....

I get a blue screen with nothing on it. zip. nada. zilch. Where's the sense in that?

I've heard that a reason to move to linux is the "lack of blue screen crashes" at least a windows blue sceeen tells you vaguely whats wrong with it.

distro is Mandrake 9.2 - trying to start up KDE at boot up. (I'm after a windows replacement to play with so don't see the point in typing stuff into the shell)

Thanks
    The blue screen is probably LILO waiting to load, LILO is your boot manager.
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ | Connect3D Radeon 9600PRO | Seagate Barrcuda 80GB HDD | 512mb PC2700 Crucial RAM | MSI KT6 Delta FIS2R | Zorro Silver Case | Windows XP/Gentoo Linux

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    left the system for five minutes and still nothing

Thanks

Re: Linux

Originally posted by jaow83
    Have decided that Linux is actually a waste of time.
    If you have decided that after having 1 problem with it, on your first attempt at installing it - Linux isnt for you. Stick to windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    But surely the problem is with linux not with me as you seem to imply.

You seem to suggest that one problem shouldn't deter me from installing Linux; to be honest, it hasn't. It's on a hard drive awaiting a fix.

If linux wants to compete seriously with Windows then it needs to to be easy to use. i.e. Joe Bloggs should be able to stick a CD rom in his computer and it should work.

Until then it's market is limited to either lucky people with whom it works and eveyone else who will think well oh well I got it with the system so it doesn't matter; or oh well I paid £*** for it so I should stick with it.

I'm still open to suggestions. The Linux stuff is still on a spare drive for the foreseeable future.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    As agent says if one problem puts you off then it is not for you. If it is purely as a windows replacement then you are possibly in the wrong place anyway. In my opinion it is not a viable desktop replacement as of yet, unless you have a limited brief, that is. If you think that the command line is not useful then you are missing the point of nix and are better sticking with windows as the power of nix lies in the shell.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thread Information