Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimming

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Swimming

I've found swimming really good for my bad back. I was told that only doing front crawl will help the back. Scared me at first, the idea of trying to do a long swim in front crawl (rather than breast stroke) but actually it's OK.

Thanks

walking and swimming are different and swimming uses far more of the body than walking at higher intensity.

like you i walk miles, like a robot sometimes, but higher energy or dynamic sports will knacker me as well. also you'll get used to it. i started the gym recently and could barely shoulder press 20kg on the machine! i though oh no, am i that weak, but soon enough within 3 weeks my body remembered and now i'm on 60kg.

give it a bit of time, eat well, rest well and the gains will come quicker than you imagine!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    walking and swimming are different and swimming uses far more of the body than walking at higher intensity.

like you i walk miles, like a robot sometimes, but higher energy or dynamic sports will knacker me as well. also you'll get used to it. i started the gym recently and could barely shoulder press 20kg on the machine! i though oh no, am i that weak, but soon enough within 3 weeks my body remembered and now i'm on 60kg.

give it a bit of time, eat well, rest well and the gains will come quicker than you imagine!
    Haha did the same the other week went to do 60Kg hadnt done it for ages, body had forgotten it could do it. As always with either a new sport or getting back into one, take your time, dont rush in, warm ups are important.

Registered+
    Thanks

Wow.......... Now weights I really couldn't do. Carrying children definitely enough for me! Just going back to the swimming chat for a minute. It sounds as though some of you folks really have the distance part quite well worked out. I honestly would lose count, relative to whether I was on length 7 or 8 of my 10 lengths of front crawl etc. The thing is, I find it is really time-out and I actually use the time to think of the most ridiculous things, whilst swimming along on auto-pilot (time goes faster that way).

So, basically, what would say 1/2 an hour doing a steady speed of front crawl be the equivalent to in miles - would anyone know? I wouldn't blame you all if you told me to stop being so lazy and count the lengths then work it out. But someone may be able to relate????

Thanks

there are some elements of technique and what your muscles are used to...

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by Phillippa View Post
    So, basically, what would say 1/2 an hour doing a steady speed of front crawl be the equivalent to in miles - would anyone know? I wouldn't blame you all if you told me to stop being so lazy and count the lengths then work it out. But someone may be able to relate????
    I used to be able to cover a mile in just over half an hour (Crawl), but I'd say that half an hour at a steady rate would be between 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.

Hope that helps!

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes, thanks Tiggerai, sadly it doesn' sound that much. I'm a bit disappointed, looks like I have some work to do

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Phillipa, as a reference, as a 9 year old I did my first mile in 1 hour and 15 mins, I'll mention that I was a Lifeguard at 18 so was swimming distance a lot to keep on top of the training.

I would think that out of practice now, a mile would take me about 50mins to an hour. So I'd aim for that as a start (that's roughly a minute a length - plenty of time!)

Thanks
    • mightymouse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator PC8500
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung T166 RAID0, 1 x 500GB Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Stacker 830 - nVidia
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • O2 Internet

had the same problem as most of you guys, been outta shape for like a year then joined the gym. after stretches (NEVER forget these especially when age is catching on) did one length took forever and i was totally out. it took me a while to do another but i just force it out until i felt my legs were gonna get cramped up then i stopped. fast forward a month i can do 5 lengths easily and then rest a bit then another 5 lengths.

i should note that in between days that i dont swim i do weights and lost of cardio. i think the cardio helps me get my stamina back and maybe my body is learning to adjust to my current weight.

Thread Information