Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buying a mountain bike on a budget

Thanks

Re: Buying a mountain bike on a budget

That's quite a bit of bike for the price - notice it doesn't have discs - Specialized KNOW that in that price range it's better to have the best Vbrakes rather than crappy discs. Go for it - I doubt you'll regret it. They is nice bikes

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks

As said my EXP with specialized has been not to put crap on their bikes to sell to noobs..

I.e. putting cheap cable discs on to make it look like a better bike..Good vs are more than enough for your everyday riding...

As said it looks like a decent bike, i had a hardrock pro, the orange one of a few years ago it was a hell of a bike.. still got the frame too

Imo a GT isnt going to be as good in the long run, and I just prefer specialized...

Thanks

I don't rate it, sorry - it's the Apple Mac of bikes, basically overpriced. It's heavy ("Lardrock" ), has a truly rubbish fork, and bottom of the line Acera components. It's not a good bike for the money (that place that had it for £90, that was a bargain).

The Vulcan is a much better bike, although you have struck upon the worst thing about Halfords - many of the staff really don't know a thing about bikes .

If you really really really want to buy from Evans (I'm assuming you're not going to try any bikes out beforehand) then buy this instead:

2007 Tyax elite - £229

Or the Avalanche linked above is also a better bike (just that the Tyax is on sale)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies.

My friend knows alot about bikes, thats the reason he doesn't work for halfords anymore lol I will ask him again why he doesnt rate the vulcan and see what you think about his thoughts.

Thanks again for all the links, around £250 is my budget so feel free to keep linking me up.

Thanks

I'll also disagree with the others on cheap disc brakes; if you are going to ride off-road you need discs - in the mud, v-brakes grind and wreck your rims and don't stop you as well as even cheap discs.

But mainly, buying a bike with even the cheapest discs (eg Vulcan or Tyax) will give you disc-compatible hubs which means that if you do decide to upgrade to quality hydraulic disc brakes later, you won't have to spring best part of £100 for a new wheelset and £30 for rotors as well .

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks

You will probably find like me that your friend doesn't rate the Vulcan due to its brand... I wouldnt want to own a carrera tbh..

Specialized are a more widespread brand and everyone i have know to have on has had a positive exp of them..

And tbh you say that you get bottom of the line stuff on the hardrock.. you get a truvativ crankset which decks anything suntour have to offer, utter ****e that company..
    I also don't think the RST fork is too bad, obviously its not a great fork but neither is that of the other bike..

Lets face it a bike that comes std with a GOOD fork is going to cost 600 quid imo. And you find most people upgrade the fork on a bike first anyway.

And in terms of poo bikes mongoose are up there wouldn't own one if you paid me..

Thanks

Mixed feelings about the disc comment, i had avid cable discs and they were good, but i found in the mud jumping, trails whatever it was that my hs33 rims were better...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    Specialized are a more widespread brand and everyone i have know to have on has had a positive exp of them..
    That's why I say they are like Apple. Branding isn't so important to me with complete bikes; all brands select from the same range of components and cheap hardtail frames are much of a muchness, bit more heel clearance here, bit more butting there. Even the frame is just a component at the end of the day (carrera I think are made by merida).

I've got those truvativ cranks on my bike and they are arse, I'm waiting for an excuse to bin them and get hollowtech II instead. The suntour cranks on the mongoose are damped, which is why that bike stands out - struggle to get a damped fork on a bike for less than £350 TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    Lets face it a bike that comes std with a GOOD fork is going to cost 600 quid imo...
    Depends on your definition of good and intended use....light commuting and some mud, within such a tight budget....£600 is not strictly necessary but I'd say £350 - £400 would be the best value point (eg Kraken or mid-range Avalanche). £250 needs some major compromises for sure.....Vulcan has heavy wheels, undamped fork, integrated brakes and shifters but also not a bad frame, halfords convenience and discs. Mongoose frame is 'meh', but the fork is emminently usuable.

Because £250 doesn't leave any room for upgrades at all - especially fork - I still say the vulcan is the best option, nothing really needs upgrading on day one (unlike the spesh's fork), it's an OK bike, and a bargain in the current sale.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)

The frame is the foundation of the bike. Have a crap frame and it doesn't matter how good the rest of the components are you will still have a flawed bike. The specialized frames sub £400 will more than likely have better welds than most other brands and better materials and geometry's to match.

In respect the the last few posts, the hardrock has a superb frame, I have one in my house hold and the welds on the frame are pretty substantial looking. The RST forks are OK probably even decent (certainly good enough for my sister) but nothing like Rock Shox. Tbh though I wouldn't really want them on any of my bikes.

There is also nothing much wrong with Carerra as general bikes these days.... I don't know what it is but I reckon there is a lot of snobbery in the MTB industry and a ridiculous amount of elitism. To the OP be careful who you get advice off since a lot of people who "know their stuff" won't endorse a perfectly reasonable bike simply because they them selves would not be seen dead on a "cheaper" bike that doesn't carry a good brand name in terms of make and or model.

In relation to Halfords; yes they're a bunch of idiots in most stores that haven't got a clue. I wouldn't trust the ones in my closest store to blow a tire up, let alone doing anything else, however most of them in the 2nd closest store to where I live which also happens to be a superstore, are truely brilliant. They just go on and on and on about bikes all day; Their bike mad. If you show that you know what your about, they can and will openly advise you about anything that's bike related.
    Last edited by Dorza; 23-10-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information