Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Need to lose belly fat!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Need to lose belly fat!

Hey Oilsheikh,

Someone might have already recommended this, but The End Of Dieting by Joel Fuhrman is an excellent book for reducing your weight and increasing your overall health.

Also, running is a great exercise for keeping your weight at your natural athletic level. It doesn't even need to be far or fast, 3 or 4 miles at a steady pace, maybe with a hill at the end, works well and definitely burns some of the old fat cells.

P.s. pose method of running = fewer injuries

Registered+
    Thanks

I commented on this yesterday but It never appeared for some reason, anyway, Doctor Joel Fuhrmans book -The End Of Dieting- is great for understanding what different foods do to your body.

And Vitamin B12 and B1 both help your digestive system to extract more energy from your meals, some people are allergic to B1 so it's best to check with your doc before using.

Also, running 3 or more times a week is good for keeping your weight down

Registered+
    Thanks

mate, if you want to go hardcore... cut everything processed, and for heaven's sake cut the sugar. What are the processed stuff you ask? Simple rule of thumb, buy the ingredients that are in its original state as it leaves the farm. Don't even buy the ready cuts (for vegetables, don't expect you to buy a cow for some steak! XD). Now this is hardcore.

For softcore, still recommend cut the sugars, you won't regret it after a while, actually you'll find it disgusting. Plenty of natural sugar in fruits you can indulge on. Not juice, not too much.

For exercise, I recommend HIIT. Also, check out M100, it is brutal! Good luck!

Registered+
    Thanks

I have added some fat around my belly area too recently. I have tried to diet since last month while continuing regular exercise and I am seeing small results but I know in order to make real progress I would need to come up with a plan and stick to it. Unfortunately work tends to get in the way but hopefully I figure out how to manage both soon.

Banned
    Thanks

Cake and Low fat mango ice cream? Nooo! That good full of carbohydrates. U must eat low carbohydrates and proteins only. **UTTERLY IGNORE ME IM A SPAMMER**
    Last edited by Zak33; 28-03-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: links

Thanks

Post Re: Need to lose belly fat!

Need to lose belly fat?

Here are some tips based on science.

1. Increase your fiber intake (preferably from veggies and fruits as they tend to be fewer in calories and sugar, but very dense in nutrients.)
    2. Drink water instead of juice. Water is calorie and sugar-free
    3. Do cardio, a Duke University study found that doing cardio decreases belly fat.
    4. Drink green tea. Green tea increases the body's ability to metabolize fat more efficiently.
    5. Don't forget your core and Abs workout, as you need to strengthen your abdominal muscles in order for them to take shape.

Thanks

Surely, you are getting some good tips on how to cut back on your current sugar intakes like skipping 2 tbsps of sugar for your corn flakes and omitting the mango ice cream or milk sponge cake.

That'll surely help.

What may seem like a tad of sweetness you are adding to your diet comes to be 152 lbs of sugar a year for an average American (this I'm sure to hit home to other developed nations with similar diets). Per day, that's 0.4 lb of sugar. It may not be so obvious how you can possibly consume this much of sugar in a day without stuffing yourself in a sugar container, well, those "low-fat" ice cream scoops and sponge cakes are doing the major work.

Many low-fat items are actually higher in sugar, to make up for the lost taste from cutting back fat.

Also, carbs like bread have a good dose of sugar depending on what kind you get.

Managing sugar is a definite must when losing weight and cleaning your diet for belly fat loss, but what's also important is what you are adding to your diet, instead of subtracting.

Add fiber foods like legumes. They are pretty heavy in your stomach, but low in calories, sugar, and fat, and high in fiber. They'll fill you up and hold you up for more than 4 hours.

Also, fill your sweet cravings with fruits. Again, they are high in fiber and vitamins while providing enough sweetness that needs no added sugar.

The other two most important internal elements mentioned in the post (see below) on how to lose belly fat, are sleep and stress.

They both affect cortisol and other appetite controlling hormones.

How are you sleeping at night? Are you getting enough sleep (6-7 hours)? Do you go to be early enough? 10 pm if possible would help.

Is your daily life stressful? What are you reaching to fill your stomach when you are stressed?

Managing stress and having healthy snacks and fruits (see the second resouce link for some fruits for weight loss) around when you just can't help yourself grabbing something sweet, something salty, and something comforting would be a tremendous help.

You can always add things like dark chocolate (70% or more cacao), coconut nibs, and raw nuts to your fruit snacks to add some fun.

Hope this help, and good luck!

Oh, by the way, I'm Asian too, and this advice applies to me too, and I hear you on the sandwich!

Us Asians tho, we've got to watch out our rice consumption too, especially if you are eating white rice. Go multi-grain, black rice, or brown for more nutrients.

Resources:

1. http://www.fitwirr.com/health/tips/g...t-love-handles
    2. http://www.fitwirr.com/health/tips/b...it-weight-loss

I hope this help!

Thanks

The best thing to do is change how your body works, metabolically.

From your diet, it appears you are consuming a lot of high GI foods. Hi GI foods result in an increased insulin response to combat high blood sugar. The more of these foods you consume, the more resistant you become to insulin.

Insulin encourages storage of glucose. Either by fat cells or muscle cells. When stored in muscle cells, it is stored as glycogen. This is preferable to it being stored in fat cells (as one would assume). Once stored as glycogen, it is only available to be used by the muscle - it cannot be transferred to be used in any other way. However, to encourage glucose uptake by muscles, you need to perform resistance exercise.

Interestingly, being in a mild caloric deficit promotes greater uptake by muscle cells. So being on a diet, lowering high GI foods, lifting heavy weights and eating adequate protein, you can actually build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

High GI foods are your white bread, sugar, pasta, white potatoes, chocolate - all the nice ones, of course!

Thanks

Hey,

I found intermittent fasting helped with losing stubborn fat. That, and lowering my intake of high GI foods (foods with a high glycaemic index stimulate insulin response as they spike sugar levels). Cut out the sugar, white bread, pasta etc and that should help no end. Lift heavy weights and cut the calories

Registered+
    Thanks

I also found if you actually take the recommend 10000 steps daily which is nearly 5 miles - it helps too - you have to do everything And it;s so so hard to get away fro High GI foods

Registered+
    Thanks

I am currently >2 stones over my normal (hitherto) seasonal weight with the majority of it carried in my tummy zone.

I have struggled to lose any weight this year, despite following a traditional Weight Watchers regime. I started in Feb and have been consuming about 75% of their daily points allowance but to almost no effect whatsoever, despite it having 'worked' for me a few years past.

I have just (last Monday) returned from my annual holiday ~ I would normally expect to gain about 7lb on a holiday of this duration, due to increased food/vino consumption and reduced activity. I actually gained 1lb, which illustrates to me that my diet during this year must have been seriously awry.

As (to paraphrase) repeating the same regime and hoping for a different result is borderline insanity, I have decided to ditch WW and to try a different approach, in the hope of making some inroads before the festive season arrives. Thus I am eliminating (as far as possible) carbs and sugars.

I will report back (whether it proves successful or not) in case it is of any assistance to anyone else.

Fingers are crossed!

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Good luck esde, I just looked at my weight chart for this year and its shocking I started Jan to April = Lost weight, May to July = Gained weight July to Sept = Lost weight. And now I'm the say weight i started with in Jan! I've cut alot of things from my diet. Biggest problem is lack of sleep & quality sleep.

Thanks

I think all your need is correct nutrition. In the morning, carbohydrates, in the evening protein

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jace007 View Post
    Good luck esde, I just looked at my weight chart for this year and its shocking I started Jan to April = Lost weight, May to July = Gained weight July to Sept = Lost weight. And now I'm the say weight i started with in Jan! I've cut alot of things from my diet. Biggest problem is lack of sleep & quality sleep.
    Thanks for that Jace007 and I wish you good fortune in return. I can but empathise with you regarding inadequate quantity-quality of sleep.

My sleep has been diabolical for so many years, I have thought it to be my lot in life. 5 hours duration was considered a good night. I would often have at least a couple of nights per week when I would arise @ 3am.

My main points of interdiction were tinnitus (since '06) and more recently (since '12) body temperature overheating (randomly). The latter being in the order of becoming so hot, that I would need to stand under a fan to cool down, by which time I was spark awake!

I will not bore you with further details on those points but suffice it to say that the medical tests (on the latter point) failed to discover anything awry. The GP's only solution was to proffer a sedative, amongst whose noted side effects were ... weight gain! Thanks but no thanks.

However, having read the recent report by the Berkley Prof, the health prognosis for me (even if his study was only 50% accurate) was quite gloomy. Thus I was determined to see if his suggestions could possibly work for me and I have to report (thus far) they have but tis early days (3 weeks to date).

I shall outline my new sleeping regime thusly: No evening alcohol; Bed @ 10pm; No PC (or similar tech) after 9pm.

The routine felt very strange at first and whilst I still do have a 'bad' night, they are not as frequent or dramatic as hitherto*. My current sleeping average is now 7 hours and I have even had 2 nights of 8 hours, which I deem particularly remarkable, as I have not had a single 8 hour night since the 90's.

* I have zero idea as to what extent being overweight was impacting upon poor sleep & vice versa. However, whilst very early days, both seem to be improving.

As I remarked in my earlier posting, I have (as far as is possible) eliminated carbs/sugars (only) and whilst very early days, my weight seems to be moving in the right direction (certainly far more so than during the Feb-Aug traditional WW diet), so my fingers are crossed.

As disheartening as it is, please do keep trying on both fronts to discover something that works for you.

'Life is akin to a game of backgammon.
    Any novice can win with good dice rolls.
    The character of the player is evident by what is made of the bad dice rolls.'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bertaluk View Post
    I think all your need is correct nutrition. In the morning, carbohydrates, in the evening protein
    Care to elaborate why carbs in the morning and protein in the evening, and why that is "correct"?

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Hi, 1 Year on .. Hows everyone doing; Lost weight ?? Gained weight ?? .. or just happy that your more healthy & fitter ?
    me i'm still on that long struggle of losing weight and gaining it, mostly lack of sleep, sickness & trying to eat more after sickness, and Days of comfort food.
    I still try and run 3 miles every 3 days... So come on update let me know how your getting on

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread Information