Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Plans - What's yous?

Thanks

Re: World Cup Plans - What's yous?

Not to being crazy with World cup Football I have not watched any of them yet. But I am thinking to watch from quarter final round or semi final and that's all about my world cup plans.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Work until 15:30 then cinemas with a mate. Oh right you said World Cup plans, not what are you doing to avoid watching the World cup..I mean we spend the year after year watching 22 men running around a pitch, trying to score goals..but yet every four years when the World Cup comes about, we have to make a big deal about it? Ermm no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

You lot are jokers slagging off the world cup. remind me to slag off your favourite sport event/other event

Thanks
    • Mithrandir's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TP45-HP
      • CPU:
      • C2D e4600 (w/ Xigmatek Red Scorpion)
      • Memory:
      • OCZ ReaperX (2x2gb)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition
      • PSU:
      • Xigmatek NRP-MC651
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cavalier 3 silver (windowed)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW D22W-1

Arrrghh!

The horns are so annoying! Kindda spoils the atmosphere imo.
    Cavalier-X: Biostar TP45-HP ¦ E4600@3.1ghz - Xigmatek Red Scorpion (OCZ Freeze) ¦ OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb (792mhz @ 4-4-4--12) ¦ Xigmatek NRP-MC651 ¦
    Palit 8800gt ¦ X-fi Fatal1ty Gamer ¦ Coolermaster Cavalier 3 (Silver/Windowed) ¦

Poseidon Magma: MSI P45 Zilent ¦ E6300@3.0ghz - Coolermaster Hyper 212 (MX-2) ¦ Corsair 2x2gb (880mhz @ 5-5-5-15) ¦ Corsair HX450w ¦
    xfx 9600gt Alphadog edition (780/1950/1000) ¦ X-fi Gamer ¦ Gigabyte Poseiden ¦

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    You lot are jokers slagging off the world cup. remind me to slag off your favourite sport event/other event

Not slagging it off. I just don't see why people make a big deal over the World Cup really.
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

So England are playing this evening. If you want to go out, best time to do so while the masses are inside drinking beer and watching the telly. Will be so quiet out.

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Stringent View Post
    So England are playing this evening. If you want to go out, best time to do so while the masses are inside drinking beer and watching the telly. Will be so quiet out.
    Thats the plan

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Not slagging it off. I just don't see why people make a big deal over the World Cup really.
    I just dont see why you make a big deal of x.

Come on man so what if people love and make a big deal out of x. this is a free country mate learn how to respect peoples interests and hobbies.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Come on man so what if people love and make a big deal out of x. this is a free country mate learn how to respect peoples interests and hobbies.
    Well, I didn't slag it off, so much as point out why I find it tedious as hell. I didn't say it shouldn't happen, though personally I'd breathe a sigh of relief if it didn't, or that those that enjoy it shouldn't be able to.

If it were just matches to watch and a result, I'd have no problem. But it isn't. It's some kind of mania. The last couple of days, about half of the evening news has not been about the football, but about the mania surrounding the fact that it's about to start. Hell, even one edition of Newsnight was half about the "atmosphere". It also results it many normal programs being rescheduled or cancelled. It insinuates it's way into conversations, newspapers, disrupts normal TV and even my local BBC radio program spends a vast amount of time prattling on about it, since a couple of the presenters are footy fans. Hell, it even gets onto the Daily Politics and Working Lunch.

And when asked what my plans were in this thread, I said I planned to avoid it since it strikes me as a totally daft occupation, and boring as hell. And, on top of that, it's quite hard to avoid. And when we say that, we're called "girly". Oh I know it was light-hearteded remark and I took it as such, and responded in kind.

So, Josh, take your own advice. Learn to respect that some people, and in fact it's one hell of a lot of people, don't like football. Learn to respect that just as you like it, a lot of us don't. We're not the ones making a big thing of it, pal. It's you lot that are treating it as if it actually mattered in the great scheme of things that are, the people flying those daft flags out of their car windows, the radio and TV presenters taking over programs that are nothing to do with football, the fact that it gets everywhere and that the tone that comes across as that if we don't like it or just aren't interested, we're somehow not normal.

I respect that some people like it. It would be nice if some people respected that I (and on behalf of millions of like-minded individuals, we) don't. So, when asked what my plans were, I said that I was planning to do everything I could to avoid something I regard as approaching the ultimate in both boringness and pointlessness.

And, for the record, it's not so much the football that irritates me. It's the mania that surrounds it, and the way it permeates just about every aspect of life these days. It's the media frenzy. Most football matches simply disinterest me, but I can avoid them by simply not watching. Job done. But with this media pre-occupation, you do pretty much have to hibernate for the duration to get away from it. And that is what bugs me.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

like it or lump it, football is one of if not the most popular sport in the world. You should know that "popular" topics do get a lot of headlines on news channels etc.

i remember some people slagging off about micheal jacksons death last year saying how people are making a big deal out of it just like now with the world cup. Its how the world works my friend.

Also who said i dont respect you guys in not following the world cup? your the ones moaning about the world cup not me. all im saying is why moan about how popular the world cup is. How is that showing respect by saying "i hate football, i will avoid it at all costs,people are daft for flying the english flag its boring its crap etc etc". Yea thats showing fantastic respect for us footy fans especialy the part about us parading the english flag

Thats slagging off the world cup and people who like it. get a grip man and stop moaning about the world cup coverage. Yea we get it, you hate it, now move on and enjoy the rest of your day doing whatever you do or got planned to do. I wont slag off your hobbies like your slagging off mine.

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Sorry, but at what point did I say I dont respect peoples interests and hobbies. I just said I dont see why people get worked up over. I like football and the World Cup, I just don't see why people get worked up over, yeah I hope England win, obviously I do.

But to put it more bluntly, its like the Premiership of the world only done in a much smaller time span but on larger scale. How? Teams battle is out through a Premiership season, to come top and win a trophy in the Premiership. The World Cup, international teams play for a month, to come first and win a trophy.

I have nothing to "learn" in regards to peoples hobbies.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Sorry, but at what point did I say I dont respect peoples interests and hobbies. I just said I dont see why people get worked up over. I like football and the World Cup, I just don't see why people get worked up over, yeah I hope England win, obviously I do.

But to put it more bluntly, its like the Premiership of the world only done in a much smaller time span but on larger scale. How? Teams battle is out through a Premiership season, to come top and win a trophy in the Premiership. The World Cup, international teams play for a month, to come first and win a trophy.

I have nothing to "learn" in regards to peoples hobbies.
    World cup comes on every year doesnt it? Each team is made up of different nationalities too?

Sorry but are you a footy fan? doesnt sound like you are saying how the world cup is nothing to brag about. How can you NOT get excited. its the world cup hehe. lighten up dude and enjoy the games

Thanks

I'd say that you are making a fair, if idealistic point, but I also hope that you've never slagged what other people like, be it iPads, Big Brother or Fermi because needless to say it would be quite hypocritical. I make a lot of effort in -not- slagging things for the same reason you mentioned. I do understand that it gets old when people go on again and again and again about the same thing, and I feel that way even when it's something I am quite neutral about (a pound for every shot at Fermi/Apple products in the last few months would probably cover my cost of living in central London). However, I do consider 'I don't get X' fair play. That's expressing an opinion, and as gentle as you can be to say you are not into it. I wouldn't take offence if people say they don't get Y that I like. Besides, consider yourself lucky that you like something most people in this country do.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    I'd say that you are making a fair, if idealistic point, but I also hope that you've never slagged what other people like, be it iPads, Big Brother or Fermi because needless to say it would be quite hypocritical. I make a lot of effort in -not- slagging things for the same reason you mentioned. I do understand that it gets old when people go on again and again and again about the same thing, and I feel that way even when it's something I am quite neutral about (a pound for every shot at Fermi/Apple products in the last few months would probably cover my cost of living in central London). However, I do consider 'I don't get X' fair play. That's expressing an opinion, and as gentle as you can be to say you are not into it. I wouldn't take offence if people say they don't get Y that I like. Besides, consider yourself lucky that you like something most people in this country do.
    im not perfect, no one in this world is so of course people slag eachother's interest. the question is HOW much do you slag peoples interest. thats the question mate and me i try my best not to just like you mate.

i've made my say about the ipads and iphones recently and thats it. never questioned peoples desires or tried not to unlike people here complaining about people flying the english flag. that alone is showing
    disrespect to people who are enjoying the world cup and happy that there country is in it. Fair enough if u say something like "meh, i dont like the world cup" but attacking people who do is out of order and on to my point.

The guy who even said that had the cheek to ask me i should show respect. respect to people slagging me off because i got the english flag attached on my car? yea ok

Thanks

I can go along with that (dishing on Apple of go beyond the product but also the users - though, vice-versa apply when it comes to OSX Mac computers and Windows PCs). Of course, much of it is also how it's said. I've not paid attention to your particular example but sometime the comment is a tongue in cheek 'tease' whereas other time it's a troll/flame-bait. Ignore them and they will go away.

Thanks

Christ we've managed to turn a thread about football nerdy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information