• Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Question Good bike lock?

I think i'm going to start cycling to Uni rather than busing it as I've worked out i can save £18 a week and get fit at the same time so I'm after a good bike lock.

I don't think Oxford Road and around Uni is particularly partial to attempted bike robberies (one of the cycle stands is right outside the main entrance of uni) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also, can some locks be bike specific in terms of wheel/frame size? My bike is currently at my mates (its a generally sized adult bike by Apollo/similar) so I'll have to get it back and take measurements if that is the case for some suggestions.

Cheers.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

dct
    Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Good bike lock?

Any of these high-end Kryptonite/Abus D-locks should be fairly decent. For me I'm using a Halfords bronze-rated (Bikehut shackle lock) which was only 30 quids or so. For better protection you should use 2 different types of locks to increase the hassle for thieves.

Normally, D-locks are 1 size fits all but some manufacturers do produce longer ones that you can use to lock 2 bikes together.

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Personally I'd be tempted by a Oxford chain lock, used to use one all the time with my motorbike but they are rather heavy to carry in a backpack since I didn't have a scooter. As above another option is the Oxford Magnum D-Lock which comes in 2 sizes.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

This is what I have.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...acket-ec006265

Depending on the value of your bike and where you're leaving it, you might also want to look at locking wheel skewers.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

The Kryptonite New York Lock is a standard in London, its enough of a brand that most tooled up theifs will think not to bother. However its really not that good imsho, its rusted up badly. Where as my Bulldog mini which was a LOT cheaper hasn't ever needed any wd40, the New York one locked up on me so badly I had to use wet lube to get it to unlock once. Not impressed overly.

According to something I read on the net at the time the bulldog last about a minuite less than the Kyrptonite too, so I'm really not that keen on them.

However I do think they have a good brand pressense, and half of bike locks is about detering theft surely.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Got a few types of locks, 'd lock' included. Watched this program about bike thefts in Holland (where everone uses bikes) and this bike shop guy reckoned that thieves had a way of getting into these 'd lock 'things in under a minute. He 'advised' to use a substantial piece of chain with a good padlock. I use a steel cable and a padlock (which could be cut with 'boltcutters') but then I try never to leave the bike out of my sight for too long a period, (which is not always possible-thus still a risk there). If your going to be leaving your bike for long periods then get a cheap bike for that purpose.

P.s. Halfords have a really strong chain but it costs about £50 approx.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Chains can normally be split often without a proper hammer, very easily, very poor protection. Bolt cutters, take seconds.

Wire is a hard one as often they are spun in a way that they slip and turn if someone tries to cut them with tin snips, as such you often need bolt cutters, not bad protection, but won't last long at all.

Almost all D-Locks that are opened are either levered, picked or cut with power tools. Levering can be avoided by locking them properly and forcing them to destroy the bike. Picking isn't normally a problem anymore, during the 90s people where making them with the o style keys, a broken ballpoint pen was all that was needed to open those! Power tools make a hell of a lot of sound, take normally 5+ min. In London thou apparently people will come after dark, white van up, high vis on, and still angle grind them off.

Thats the thing its easy to split a link in a chain, but try and get a bottle jack in-between a D-Lock that has been used with any common sense....
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Yes, you are right but at the end of the day a bike lock is just a 'deterrent', you won't stop a determined 'thief' with a set of 'bolt cutters' or a grinder. That chain that I mentioned from Halfords was a real 'beastie' and would never have been split with a hammer but they don't appears to be selling it any more , at least it's not on the web site. Good insurance next best bet .

Thanks
    • Million's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX2/GB/SI LGA775 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb OCZ Octane SSD, 3Tb Seagate HDD, 250Gb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • xClio 700w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Mini (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable

I've always used Kryptoloks and never had a problem, would recommend them highly. Also bear in mind if your bike is insured, that most insurers require a certain standard of lock for it to be covered if stolen

Thread Information