Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss: Am I doing something wrong?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Weight loss: Am I doing something wrong?

Try to come back to the simple logical approach with Calories In VS Calories out. As long as you're below your maintenance level every day you are gonna lose 1lb a week at least. Don't expect the results to be rapid because if it's too fast you will be well losing lean mass with it. Don't be scared of carbs because it isn't carbs that make you fat. So not eating after 6pm means nothing because it makes sense that since you're no longer eating after 6, there's no more excess calories being consumed hence you will not be in the calorie surplus and still maintain your current weight

Age before beauty......MOVE!!!!
    Thanks

I lost 3 stone in 3 months. The only way I could do it was to be constantly hungry, particularly AFTER a meal. Your weight and your weight loss/gain is directly related to what you consume....sounds obvious but you must understand that first. Too many people kid themselves into thinking they don't eat much, when they do (some recent study showed a part of the brain was responsible for fooling people). Naturally cut out the obvious stuff, but I see two methods which both seem to work....low fat or low carb. For me it was cutting out fat even to the point of having no spread on sandwiches. I found carbs like bread good as it would fill me up. Portion control is very important. I would cook fresh every day, never eat out or have takeaways and stickly control the portion. I even used to throw away the leftovers before starting to eat, otherwise I would be tempted to pick whilst clearing up. And I know it sounds obvious again, but no booze....I was on the wagon for about 6 months and even now rarely drink.

I have't mentioned excercise, which I did do whilst losing weight as this was more to "tone up" rather than burn calories. At my age trying to burn the weight off would probably not be advisable.

But above all, much the same as quitting booze or fags you really have to WANT to do it. I had a determination to succeed that drove me. The most difficult thing in the end was that I developed a buzz/high about being hungry and a depression about over eating. In fact the most difficult part of the whole process was to start eating again, I found I was losing too much and going beyond my ideal weight.

I hope you succeed.

Good luck.
    The Man with the Silver Spot

Registered+
    Thanks

I'd suggest you vary things up. Get experimental with your diet. There's lots of great healthy meals you can make, there's masses given online.

Also get some weights into your training. Even just light weights. It's often found a combination of cardio and weight lifting can aid in weight loss.

Thanks

For every diet idea you can find Web stuff "proving" and equally articles dispelling.
    Not a lot of real science, see this thread for example.
    2 things I am sure of now:
    Everyone is totally individual and needs to find what uniquely works for them;
    And a permanent change of lifestyle approach is going to work sooner than hopping on and off temporary diets.
    After 10 weeks, I know alternate day fastIng works for me as a lifestyle, not a diet.
    I am healthier and have lost 2 stone, though that was not my motivation - that Horizon program showed that my body would repair damaged cells on fast days, rather than make new cells.
    Best of all, 4 days a week, I can eat and drink whatever I like with no consequences.
    I have found something that i am happy to carry on for the remainder of my better quality of life.
    And even if anyone disagrees with the idea of ADF, it really doesn't matter, as FACT, it is working right now for me

anu
    Thanks

Take wheat, ragi foods. Cut down on fats substances. Do excercises but, relax as much as possible. Go for swimming once in a week.

Thanks

It is not huge process to loss the bodyweight and it is not hard to get intelligent, thin and excellent eye-catching. You have to just do only some consistently and everyday actual exercise and try to prevent from unhealthy diet plan and those meals that are rich with calorie consumption and cholestrerol levels. So, prevent from ready made meals and bubbly beverages. After few days you will happy that you are looking intelligent.

Thanks

Loosing weight quickly isn't wise.
    Its best to loose 1-2lbs a week and its more likely to stay off.
    No sugar and low carbs seems to work best for me, diversify your diet. Avoid junk foods as you can. Stay motivated and keep moving.

Lakewood fitness
    Last edited by Vilson; 16-02-2013 at 06:51 AM.

A young Senior Member
    Thanks
    • PetrolHead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5KC
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 PC-6400
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoints.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTS 250
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22' LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 8MB Virgin

Hi all just a little update.

Still trying hard to lose weight (well apart from Saturday when I had a king sized mixed grill )

I am now down to 79.5 Kilos, didn't really want to post until after Christmas as.. Well we all know what happens then!

Still got a tummy though, can't seem to shift it, any ideas guys?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

So in July, you wanted to lose another 10kg and reckoned you'd stopped losing weight.

Now, in January, you confirm that you've lost 5kg.

What are you worrying about? Unless it hit a plateau in November and you've stayed the same/gone up since then, you've been doing fine, and presumably in another 6-12 months you'll have hit your target?

Thanks

I'ts taken me 3 years to reduce from 95 kgs to about my present 70 ( always put a bit on at xmas ). Have started this semi fasting thing as well and seems to be working for me. Use cycling for weigh loss but had a bad fall last week after skidding on ice and this has set me back a bit . Your belly fat will gradually reduce and you'll be left with loose skin. I put on a pair of trousers the other day and found about 4 inches of slack at the waist- could hitch my thumb in the waistband and see my toes without any problem. Just keep going at a steady pace and you will get there. No point in trying to reduce to quickly as you may find that weight will go back on again. Change of eating habits is the most important thing.

A young Senior Member
    Thanks
    • PetrolHead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5KC
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoints.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTS 250
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22' LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 8MB Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    So in July, you wanted to lose another 10kg and reckoned you'd stopped losing weight.

Now, in January, you confirm that you've lost 5kg.

What are you worrying about? Unless it hit a plateau in November and you've stayed the same/gone up since then, you've been doing fine, and presumably in another 6-12 months you'll have hit your target?
    I am not worrying about anything, where have I said or sound like I am worrying?

I just wanted to update the thread as it has had a lot of activity over the months.

It just seems my excess is around my waist and I am asking the board what they think I should be concentrating on to shift it.

I would like to be in shape for summer, it seems like a long way off at the moment but this will come around quickly.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

There isn't a way to tell the body to burn fat in one location over another, the pattern of where fat is put on and then taken off is probably fixed genetically. The only way to remove fat around your waist is to deplete the excess all round, so that eventually the body will start using up the excess there as well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mepbowles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
      • CPU:
      • Gigabyte Ga 990FX UP7
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 2x2TB, 1TB, 2x500Gb, 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750
      • Case:
      • HAF 932 (Soon to be Fractal R4 White Window)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron W2252S

I think the worst thing (for students) about Christmas is that exams usually start right after so finding the time is alot more difficult. People have mentioned online calorie calculators and I thought I'd mention a really good app im using called "my fitness pal". Works the same as most of them with calorie intake and outtake and gives you a daily target based on the info you give it and you goals. Was working well until christmas and exams came around #lazyslob

Registered+
    Thanks

[QUOTE=merdat;2557209]Best not to eat after about six pm as anything taken after that can be stored as fat'
    if you don't eat after 6 pm until breakfast, how can that help? Your body will effectively starve and when you next eat it will store anything it gets as fat all the time eating muscle for calorie consumption.
    Much better to eat small portions every 3 hrs and DO have a protein drink or protein rich snack before bed.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merdat View Post
    I'ts taken me 3 years to reduce from 95 kgs to about my present 70 ( always put a bit on at xmas ). Have started this semi fasting thing as well and seems to be working for me. Use cycling for weigh loss but had a bad fall last week after skidding on ice and this has set me back a bit . Your belly fat will gradually reduce and you'll be left with loose skin. I put on a pair of trousers the other day and found about 4 inches of slack at the waist- could hitch my thumb in the waistband and see my toes without any problem. Just keep going at a steady pace and you will get there. No point in trying to reduce to quickly as you may find that weight will go back on again. Change of eating habits is the most important thing.
    Totally agree that change of eating habits and lifestyle are key, every little thing really does help.

A young Senior Member
    Thanks
    • PetrolHead's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5KC
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoints.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTS 250
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22' LG L226WTQ
      • Internet:
      • 8MB Virgin

Nothing has happened on this thread for a few months so I thought I would drop in with a update as to how I am doing.

I now weigh in at 74.5 KG (11st 7lbs) which is just within the healthy range for my height.

For the past few months I have been calorie counting, for example this month my daily average consumption so far is 1827 calories per day and my daily deficit is 769 calories.

My stomach is not flat yet so no sign of any muscle. Do I need to slow down on the cardio now and focus purely on toning and weights?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the months by the way

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information